Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1076490 Posts in 71359 Topics- by 18941 Members - Latest Member: Tigerprints
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: King Cleveland 605 vs. King 606  (Read 13211 times)
iupbone

View Profile
« on: Dec 01, 2004, 12:51AM »

My first horn was a Cleveland 605....it was beat up and old, but who can forget their first.  I'm looking for a good used jazz horn without shelling out the big $$$ just yet for my dream jazz horn...a King 2B.  I've seen several 605's and several King 606's online for sale at reasonable prices but I'm not so sure about the differences between the two.  I know that the "Cleveland" line is no longer made...and the 605 is out of production, and I know that King lists their 606 model as a "Beginner Horn".  Does anyone know the specs and differences of these two horns?  Was the 605 a beginner horn?   Thanks to anyone who can shed some knowlegable light on this subject.

-Keith Blair

Keith C. Blair
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Ohio University
740-594-8635
iupbone@hotmail.com
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2004, 09:42AM »

The 605 was also considered a beginner's horn.

If you are looking for a beginner horn for jazz, allow me to recommend the Yamaha 352 or 354.  They have somewhat better sound, and there are quite a few of these around since they are one of the most popular horns for beginners.

I used a Conn Director a couple of times, but my Director needed a careful warmup before playing or it sounded raw (as did almost all my Conn's).

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Jox

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2004, 12:56PM »

I think I played the two. I'm playing a king 605 now since I don''t own a trombone yet. It's really old and smells a bit.  I think someone else in my band plays a 606. I'lll check on friday what the difference is

Xavier Gonzalez
BME- Stetson University
MM- University of Florida
Bach 50BG Greenhoe- Doug Elliot MB109 J-8
Selmer Bolero- Conn Goldtone
bones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2004, 03:19PM »

The 606 is the modern version of the 605.  There's not a noticable difference between them.  I started playing on a 605, and still have it.  My son has a 606.  I've played both.  He plays both (leaves one at home, the other at school), and can't tell the difference.

BTW, he once claimed that the difference in our tonal quality was the difference in the horns we were playing.  I was playing my King 3B-F, he was playing the 606.  So, I switched horns with him.  The player is more important than the horn.  He got the point...

"Bones"
Music City Legend Drum & Bugle Corps 2004-2006 Baritone / Board member
Cullman Community Band 2005-2006
Vinemont HS Pep Band 2002-2006 Trombone, Tuba
West Point HS Band 1977-1981 Trombone / Low Brass Section Leader
Scott Weaver

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2004, 05:03PM »

I still have my first horn, a 605. I may be wrong here, but I think the only difference is the 606 has just a little larger bell.  8" on 606 and just measured the bell on my 605 and it is 7-1/4". So I think this is the only difference between the two models.
Might I add too that for a cheaper (priced) horn for jazz, don't overlook the Old's Ambassadors readily found on Ebay(just be cautious in buying here), ask plenty of questions and look at the sellers feedback comments. The Ambassadors in my opinion are great for jazz and can be had for $100 or less. I lucked up several months back and bought one in almost pristine condition for $84. It plays and sounds great. Little smaller bore than the Kings and dual bore at that(doesn't blow quiet as freely), but sounds really snazzy when called upon.
Stretch Longarm
old enough to know better

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2004, 05:52PM »

I equate some horns with, like, old girlfriends or really odd clothing styles I wore when I was younger. Ambassadors are like that for me. I was stuck with a funky one for a term in HS and it sucked - horrible slotting and a tinny sound (IMO). I shiver when I even see one. But I will admit it was better than a Bundy.

BYW, you can probably get an Ambassador for under $50, they're usually one of the cheapest. EBAY has 606's for $17 - $100 - I saw one yesterday for something like $275! don't these folks look at what others are selling them for? There were at least 4 other 606's on ebay for under $80...

Yamaha - there are a lot of them out there - but be careful - they're not as robust as a King (per my repair guy).

trombone airflow is 360 degrees. Think about it.
Dan H.
He doesn't know how to put this, but he's kind of a big deal

"Conquer the devils with a little thing called love"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2004, 08:00PM »

605- ~7 1/2 inch bell, .491 bore

606- 8 inch bell, .500 bore

- Daniel Havranek
bonearzt

"UTEP Alumni/Legend in my own mind!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2004, 08:08PM »

Hi Keith,  how much are you looking to spend?
I have a couple of 2B's available,  a SilverSonic and a Liberty both from around 1960.
The SilverSonic is in great shape,  the Liberty is pretty rough but still rips!

Thanks
Eric

Eric, Leandra, Sara, Jared & Lily
Edwards
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has faded!"
"If you're doing something a certain way ONLY because it's always been done that way,  you're probably doing it wrong!"
Fred Hudson

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2004, 02:24PM »

"In the beginning" - or at least after 1925 when H.N. White acquired the Cleveland Musical Instrument Company- White marketed three levels of trombone - the "American Standard" entry level model, The "Cleveland Superior" intermediate model and the "King" professional model, of which the Liberty 2B became the cornerstone.  Over the years since the White family sold the company in 1965, the American Standard was dropped, the "Tempo", basically a 2B with a nickel silver bell, became the intermediate and the Cleveland became the entry level model.  After the UMI takeover, The Cleveland survived as the 605, the 606 with a straight 0.500" bore and 8" bell replaced the Tempo and the 2B is carried on as the model 2102.

Now that the 605 Cleveland has been dropped, the 606 is the only entry level straight tenor offered by King, but it is still preferred by some jazz musicians.

All of the horns mentioned in previous posts would make good inexpensive jazz horns, IF YOU FIND JUST EXACTLY THE RIGHT ONE! Idea! Don't buy anything till you have given it a thorough tryout.  Idea! and keep your eye out for a good 2B :)

Good Luck

Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: