Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

945069 Posts in 62369 Topics- by 15055 Members - Latest Member: Mycroft221B
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Conn 100H  (Read 3240 times)
TheFreak90

View Profile
« on: Jan 22, 2005, 06:20PM »

I was looking into popular Jazz horns and saw that there are a few jazz trombonists that use the Conn 100H. I was just wondering about the Conn 100H's specs. Comparable to a King 2 or 3 B? Any drawbacks? Flexible in tone color?

Practicing Trombonist
"In music the passions enjoy themselves."  ~Nietzsche

"You don't have to win the first audition, you just have to win the last one." - Murray Crewe
HuskerTX

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2005, 08:20PM »

Hate 'em.

The old Minick 100Hs are superb. I've played one, sadly it wasn't for sale. The new ones IMHO just lack a lot of color and flexibility. Some peope like them though. They're .500" bore, usually yellow brass all the way around. Size-wise it's between a 2B and 3B. If you wanted a setup like this I'd search for an old Elkhart 6H. That's what I have, they aren't too hard to find.

Just try out all you can. I hate the new 100Hs, but that's just me. Try it anyway. If you like it, go for it!

The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music... they should be taught to love it instead.
-Igor Stravinsky
Barnstormer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2005, 10:38PM »

Elkhart 6H=Teh pwn!

Ben Luckinbill -- Tenor Trombone, Vocals, Incessant Breathing Into Mic

"When this world comes to an end I hope that I can breathe a sigh of releif, because there will be so much to look forward to."
Erling

"Erling Kroner"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2005, 11:58PM »

Pretty much my observations, too (Andrew's). the 100H is supposed to be the model that takes over for 6H. Rather like undertake. (pardon the pun).
erling
6H kicks

dan.gentry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2005, 11:59AM »

Quote from: "barnstormer07"
Elkhart 6H=Teh pwn!

What???

Dan Gentry
Barnstormer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2005, 12:05PM »

Quote from: "dan.gentry"
Quote from: "barnstormer07"
Elkhart 6H=Teh pwn!

What???

LoL, sorry I'm half nerd.  Basically it means the 6H is awesome.

Ben Luckinbill -- Tenor Trombone, Vocals, Incessant Breathing Into Mic

"When this world comes to an end I hope that I can breathe a sigh of releif, because there will be so much to look forward to."
rodglu

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2005, 07:21PM »

If you want to buy a Conn, I second (third) the vote for an old 6H.  I bought one about two years ago and it's the best .500 bore horn I've ever played.

I owned a 100H for about 19 years.  I bought one of the first ones available in the Detroit area (1983) when I was in college.  It was different than the model offered today.  The bell was 8", and it had the curved hand brace like the Minick horn.  An old-timer in the area had a Minick horn, and the 100H looked quite similiar.  I don't know how the Minick played, because he wouldn't let me try it.  The 100H played much better than the 1982 King 2B I was playing at the time (a terrible horn).

My playing decreased in the 90's due to my marriage, kids, job, etc.  Then along came e-bay.  My second purchase was an Elkhart Conn 48H, and I couldn't believe how much better it was that the 100H.  It was far more open, especially in the upper register, and it slotted wonderfully.  I let my buddy play it, and he loved it, so I sold it to him (he plays alot in the Detroit area, and says it's the best horn he's ever owned).  I decided to try other horns, and I purchased and sold quite a few (3B's, Olds Recording, Bach 16, etc.).  Then I bought an Elkart 6H, and my search was over.  It blows like a charm and has a huge, warm sound.  The upper range is awesome.  I immediately put the 100H up for sale on e-bay, and haven't looked back since.

However, don't limit yourself to one horn or one manufacturer.  You have so much to chose from today, much more than when I was in college.  Try as many horns as you can before you buy.  Happy hunting.

Rod Glusac
TheFreak90

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2005, 07:52PM »

I am currently not looking into buying a "jazzer", but I am just researching some horns. Thanks for the Info Guys!

Practicing Trombonist
"In music the passions enjoy themselves."  ~Nietzsche

"You don't have to win the first audition, you just have to win the last one." - Murray Crewe
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2005, 12:32PM »

I had a 100H (as well as a Minick) for a while.  

The Conn was a bit of a dog.  You'd clean and lube the slide and it would remain playable for, maybe, 30 minutes tops.  A trip down to the Slide Doctor resulted in a good slide for half an hour.  Not the SD's fault.  John Sandhagen in a recent post mentioned that there was a design or construction flaw that affected 100H slides. "Buyer beware" might apply if you're considering one of these horns.

By the way, I had a Minick .500 bore, 8" horn with the tootsie roll counterweights.  Not very similar to the Conn.  The Minick didn't say anything like "100H" on it either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: