Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1069600 Posts in 70983 Topics- by 18771 Members - Latest Member: schaarea
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bach 16 slide crook  (Read 1393 times)
slideman

View Profile
« on: Jun 04, 2005, 05:09AM »

I heard that Bach uses  the model  8 slide crook on its models 8,12,and 16.  Several cats that I know are replacing their 16 crooks with 3B crooks, totally  changing the way the 16's play. Anyone else heard this. I got this info from some a few players and repair guys  in Los Angeles.[/b]
alexishii

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2005, 07:29AM »

Not sure about the 8, but the 12 and 16 crooks look about the same, and they are very different than the 3B.  The 3B is almost semi-circular, while the 12 and 16 are much more squared off.  I'm sure it would change the horn a lot to swap the crooks.

I have a 16M, and between the open gooseneck and bigger straight bore, it blows about a freely as a 3b, but with a somewhat darker tone (at least when I play them), even with the square crook.  My (very old at this point) recollection of a plain 16 (regular gooseneck, dual bore) was that it was much stuffier than a 3b, and changing the crook might help this...
lagii

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2005, 05:31PM »

I had a 16 with w King crook that I bought somewhere down the path. But, it did not play any better or worse than any other Bach 16 that I had. I think the horn's sound is more determined by the way the bell responds and the leadpipe, more so than the crook. JMO
bonearzt

"UTEP Alumni/Legend in my own mind!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2005, 05:00PM »

One advantage with thew King crook is you don't use the ferrules as on the Bach saving some weight.
Also, since the slide tubes go straight into the crook there are no gaps that might interfere with the airstream.
I'm building an outer slide for DJ right now with Bach tubes and a King crook,  we'll see how it blows.

Eric

Eric, Leandra, Sara, Jared & Lily
Edwards
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has faded!"
"If you're doing something a certain way ONLY because it's always been done that way,  you're probably doing it wrong!"
Bellend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2005, 04:29AM »

When I got to meet Dick Nash ( one of my all time heros! ) at the ITF in Nashville a few years ago he was playing a Bach 16M with a 3B end crook on the slide which I have to say sounded pretty good Grin

BellEnd
dddjjj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2005, 07:34AM »

bill watrous  is strictly against  it
------
bubble  bill hamilton  spent  the day  w  dick nash  
and just  traded  me a  jiggs  and  a  12lt w loose pipe
 for a new  16mlt   a  2b  bell and  a  crisp  early  70s
16  bell  
----
he tried  dicks  3b bow  16m   and is  going to  
have  bruce  belo   put one on  the new  axe

lucky  lucky  lucky
trbntoddo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2005, 04:49PM »

What is meant by an "open gooseneck"? I've never heard this term before and recently saw it used to describe Bach trombones.

trbntoddo

"Be careful, lest in fighting the dragon you become the dragon."   - Nietzsche
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: