Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066169 Posts in 70850 Topics- by 18680 Members - Latest Member: maplekicks
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformanceTrombonists(Moderator: zemry) Trombonists to Transcribe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trombonists to Transcribe  (Read 1057 times)
Posaune

View Profile
« on: Aug 02, 2005, 11:04PM »

I am lookinf for some good CDs to get that I would be able to transcribe.  I don't think I would really be able to keep up with most of Conrad Herwig, JJ or Carl Fontana's stuff.  I have done some Frank Rosalinoand Wyclef Gordan which I didn't get 100% but felt good about it.

"anything to stupid to be said is sung"-- Voltaire
Student at the Oberlin Conservatory
mwhaa

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2005, 03:44AM »

you know get a blues brothers album like "the definitive blues brothers" and transcribe some of tom malones bone solos most of them arent too technically challenging but getting the feeling and sometimes the range is a little tough. Also transcribe some of ellington's and basie's trombonists, you're on the right track and dont worry about not finishing the transcription of a solo you can always go back and finish it as your ear gets better, just do what you can, and listen and then listen some more, and the listen some more, and just keep absoring

-mwhaa

p.s. did i mention that you need to listen?

Back on the horn,
Hn White Liberty 2b - Whatever
Mahlerbone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2005, 10:51AM »

The top two trombonists that you should probably transcribe are JJ and Curtis.  I know that JJ played some heavy stuff back in the day, but much of it is very accessible.  I recently transcribed JJ's solo on "Old Devil Moon".  It's an easy solo to learn with some good lines, and not too hard to play either.

Shires T00NLW, 1YM8, 1.5Y
Edwards T396-A
Shires B62LW, BI 2G, Bollinger tuning slide, dependent Trubores
Bonedaddy

"lurking in the shadows"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2005, 06:54AM »

One of the main reasons to transcribe something is to learn new skills...to be able to hear and play things that you previously couldn't.  Get tons of JJ and Frank and Carl, and Conrad, and whomsoever else you like to listen to.  Transcribe them, then learn them a couple of bars at a time, very slowly.  The longer it takes you to be able to play it with the CD, chances are the more chops you will aquire in the process.

Here are some recomendations:

JJ and Stan Getz Live at the Lighthouse--JJ's Yesterdays solo is one of the most beautiful recorded trombone solos ever, IMHO.  Actually, any JJ would be good to transcribe.  For starters, why not transcribe a couple of standards that you are working on learning.

Frank Rosolino Free for All--Try his solo on Stardust.  Fond Memories Of is another good source, but don't sheat with the transcription book that's on the market!

Carl Fontana The Great Carl Fontana or The Hanna Fontana Band  Lots of swining Carl on both.

Conrad Herwig-any.  His pentatonic approach is unique in the trombone world.  Difficult to do, at first, but that's how you learn, right?

Hal Crook--For some really advanced improvisation, transcribe some of Only Human.  Holy cow.

Don't sell yourself short, and don't aim low.  When you hear somebody do something on the trombone you can't do, it just proves to you that it can be done.  All you have to do is figure out how  Way cool

Ben Patterson

Ben Patterson
www.bonecat.com
KINGJIGG1943

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2005, 08:18PM »

There are a few Kid Ory cd's on the market. Look at Hickey's music or ebay and they should have a few to check out. If you gotta start, start from the beginning.   Good!

"My talents and good looks are only exceeded by my humbleness! =)~"

"My car is faster than yours."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: