Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1073151 Posts in 71191 Topics- by 18861 Members - Latest Member: monisa18
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 183   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bunker 2003  (Read 222460 times)
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« on: Dec 31, 2002, 10:06PM »

Greetings, Bunker residents and new Forum members!

Welcome to the Forum's virtual bar/cafe/restaurant/pub. This is the place where you can drop in and discuss anything, topic miscellaneous. If you just feel like saying something, if you're happy or infuriated, or have a subject that you would like discussed but don't want to start a whole new topic, come here and say it!

This place is called "The Bunker" because here we can hide from the world and escape from reality, just for a little while. Last year's Bunker gathered over 3000 posts - I'd like to see this one do even better. Please don't be shy, the Bunker is open to all, no dress code necessary.

Happy 2003 everyone!

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
laxgoalie33

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2002, 11:02PM »

Graham, Bickle, Schreckly..... you're talking to the wrong guy about the Red Wings (I'm an Avalanche fan....well, I'm a Patrick Roy fanatic to say the least)

Of course Cujo has always been an incredible goaltender and did play here at Wisconsin before going to the NHL, so I can't help but hope he gets a cup soon.
I feel the same way about Chelios, who not only went to Madison as well but played on the Chicago Blackhawks for years. (having parents from the south side of Chi-town, and being from IL I'm a huge fan of his)

Unfortunately I remember last season's playoffs all too well.....but after Roy's puck drop in game 6, all I could think was,
"Man, he saved that team so many times this season and he was the reason they did so well in the regular season. And he waits until game 6 of the Semi-finals to screw up!!!"
Which was a huge disappointment, especially after Forsberg's heroic comeback story, which would have been a publishist's dream if the Avs won the cup last year!!!

I don't know why, but this year the Avs seem to be struggling and are not doing overly great like the past couple years.  

It's been the same for our WCHA team here at Madison, but we lost 9 players from last year who graduated or were drafted, and we just got a new coach this year (Mike Eaves) since Jeff Sauer retired last year (after 20 some years of coaching here).  
Then again last season we started out struggling and really picked it up after winter break and made it to the final five..... hopefully we'll do it again this year.
In our last home series against Minnesota we played exceptionally well and held our own against them. (Keep in mind MN won the NCAA championship last year)
and we killed in the exhibition match against the Italian Olympic team.
And this past weekend we won the Bank One hockey Showdown tournament.... and they showed up ready to play!!!
so the second half of the season looks promising...

In completly unrelated news, today I was bored so I busted out my old Sega Genesis and played that  EA Sports Rugby 95 game.  HAHAHA!!!
I always enjoyed that game because I never had a clue as to what is going on when I play it.... all I know is which button passes, which gives me a speed burst, and which one tackles the opponents!!!

-Tom G.
zemry

"Steve Turre and myself in the French Quarter"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2002, 11:10PM »

Happy New Year, all!!! May God bless us all!!

There won't come a time when you won't have to practice anymore.........J.J. Johnson

Richard Zemry Johnson, Jr.
Patrick Bates

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2003, 03:18AM »

Where is everyone? I thought we'd be on at least page three by now! Bartender! More Guinness!

Last Bone
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2003, 03:54AM »

Hello Patrick!

Guinness coming up. You're right, we're not going to get to 3000 at this rate!

Well, I can tell you where I'm going to be soon. Get dressed, brave the weather (yes, it's p*ssing it down AGAIN), walk into town to the multiplex cinema, go into the bar there which - amazingly - sells very cheap booze and real ale - then see The Two Towers.

Catch you all later!

In vodka veritas
rlb
Demiurge

"Hails of derisive laughter, Bruce!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2003, 03:57AM »

Greetings, all.  *slumps exhaustedly in the corner*

Dr. Richard L. Byrd, Forum Director
Every man, wherever he goes, is encompassed by a cloud of comforting convictions, which move with him like flies on a summer day.
   --Bertrand Russell, 1950
bickle
Formerly titled by the Walt

"Horn cues are good!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2003, 04:36AM »

quote:
Originally posted by LaxGoalie33:
Graham, Bickle, Schreckly..... you're talking to the wrong guy about the Red Wings (I'm an Avalanche fan....well, I'm a Patrick Roy fanatic to say the least)

Hmmmmmmmm...... Actually, I was a Nordiques fan for a long time, (I wanted to be Guy LaFleur!) so I'm with you on this one. Roy, Forsberg, Sakic-yeah! If it weren't for Mario playing like he was, Forsberg would be the best player in the NHL. They're really going to have to pull it up, tho, the way they're going now. But the Red Wings are still the team to beat- that's (almost) always the best series every spring, Colorado-Detroit, ever since Claude Lemieux popped Kris Draper lo those many years ago.

I detest Chris Chelios. On a professional level; I don't know him personally. (    ) Dirtiest player since Claude Lemieux.

Hey- Happy New Year everybody, while I'm at it!
denny seifried

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2003, 04:45AM »

Happy New Year 2003! To everyone in Bunker 2003.

I am really glad to see that Christine, on New Year's Day, can even WALK to the cinema. Good girl, Christine, we are all proud of you!  

Denny Seifried
Bass Trombone
Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Jazz Central Big Band, Mojo Brass & Springfield (OH) Symphony
BBb Tuba Ohio Valley British Brass Band (OVBBB) & Western Ohio Tuba Quartet
Adjunct Trombone-Wittenberg Univ. Dept. of Music
BoneyW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2003, 05:15AM »

Happy New Year and a very big kiss for the Galls!

[Happy New Year Christine!   ]
Daniel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2003, 09:22AM »

Yugh.  Was up till 2 and didn't get to sleep till about 3:30, then had to go to mass today (Holy Day of Obligation - Feast of the Immaculate Conception).

I'm beat.

Daniel
"Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers" -Voltaire
SLewis

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2003, 10:08PM »

Happy New Year, everyone!  
My daughter is home, that's 2 out of three children home now.  
I've done little but cook lately, time to practice.

If hummingbirds were the size of crows,
it wouldn't be safe to go in the woods.
-Ogden Nash
Michael Maddox
Evil Genius

"What? A horse? Jump it! Jump it!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2003, 10:20PM »

You Roy fans...have you actually MET this guy? Back in what - 92? 93? - I met him about a month after the cup finals, and MAN what an EGO! Of course, he's aged a bit, so maybe he's changed for the better, but the young Roy almost cured me of my Habs fandom. (Back then, Felix Potvin was showing lots of promise to be even better than Roy. I wish he'd kept it together.) I won't deny Patrick his skills, but that first meeting made me wish Ken D. was back in the crease.

Happy New Year from an old goalie...

Michael
Tallahassee, FL USA

"Ride the bike, ride the bike, ride the bike." - Fausto Coppi, advice for beginners, 1951
Frank B
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2003, 10:21PM »

now I have to remeber to have 03 as my date instead of 02. it always takes me about a month to finally break it in.

oh, and something I forgot earlier. I was trying to make a loaf of white bread during my recent vacation, except the conditions for rising were really poor. so I turned on the oven for a minute to it's lowest temperature, opened the dorr to fan the excess heat, and threw my bread in to rise. 2 hours later it had barely risen. after it was baked I tried a slice to see how bad it turned out. someone could literally have gotten drunk off a loaf or more of that! the alchol from fermentation really built up and didn't have a chance to evaporate. my first moonshine bread!
Peter Eiden

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2003, 10:22PM »

Daiel -

Right member of the Holy Family, wrong feast!

Today's the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God.

December 8 is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (when Mary was conceived by St. Ann.  Not to be confused with Mar 25 - the feast of the Annunciation - when the angel clued Mary in on Jesus' conception).

Among the many things Catholic my beloved mother beat into me as a kid!  (Plus I won $20 years ago for knowing the difference between Immaculate Conception and Annunciation).

Happy New Year, all!!

Pete
Daniel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2003, 10:30PM »

Yeah, thats the one.

Told you I was tired.

Daniel
"Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers" -Voltaire
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2003, 11:22AM »

quote:
Originally posted by denny seifried:
I am really glad to see that Christine, on New Year's Day, can even WALK to the cinema. Good girl, Christine, we are all proud of you!        

Oooh, you guys are naughty to me....        However, you're quite right to think like that, Denny! Anyway, the film was excellent, much more interesting IMO than Part 1, and I enjoyed it very much. And the bar was wonderful. I can recommend anyone visiting the UK to seek out bars run by J. D. Wetherspoons. It's a corporation doing up a lot of defunct offices, banks etc and turning them into pubs. Sounds awful, but in fact they are large and airy, well-furnished (leather armchairs etc), floor-to-ceiling shelves of books, NO MUSIC, knowledgeable and plentiful staff, well-kept ale, good food and very low prices. And no, I have no connection with them at all!

Is everyone having a good day?

[Happy New Year Wilco!   ]

In vodka veritas
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2003, 11:27AM »

Talking about old goalies - Tom, Are you still playing that game of American Indian origin, which has a Canadian French name and is played with a long-handled racquet with hooked end?

BTW, I only introduced NHL because you guys were getting bored with the cricket scores. It's the only U.S. game where I still follow a team. Go Red Wings!!!

This is the first post in the new bunker for me. It will be much better when the smell of new paint has gone away!

Gees, I was just trying to remember when was the last time I went to the Cinema. It must be a least fifteen years back. Don't ever take up the trombone guys; it leaves you with no time for normal leisure activities! "We come along on Saturday morning, greeting everybody with a smile" - circa late 40's. Ah, Roy Rogers and Trigger!

The big news item here in Australia is about $9 Million worth of refugee detention centres burned down by the refugees themselves over the Christmas/New Year period. It happened at four different centres and the Government says there is no crisis. The best they can come up with is banning newspapers and TV so that they cannot carry out copycat burnings. Actually, it's probably more serious than that, because there had been some sympathy from the Australian public about the conditions at these places. Now all everybody wants is to put them on a plane and deport them back from where they came. You should know that those causing most of the problems have already had their refugee status denied. There is one small problem! Afghanistan and Iran won't take them back! So now the Government is going to cut aid to those countries that will not take back their refugees. This seems a little counterproductive to me!

I have got to get myself out of this malaise and start to think about doing some daygig work. Got to pay for those groceries.      Happy Trails!!!

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
nathan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2003, 11:36AM »

happy new year all ...

plz dont mention church ... parents and i got into this huge arguement on new years eve ... so newayz ... im dragged 2 mass ... which i will say was in maltese ... so i didnt understand f*e*c*k all ... so wasnt that a waste of time ... then they spend half the frigging nite stirring me ...

Yesterday i had the s*h*i*t*s so bad i went 2 the beach ... took a chair ... took a book ... just sat down and read ... watched the surf ... and relaxed ... it was probably the best way 2 start the new year ... and i got home with more patience for the parents ... so  things are a bit better here ...

Finally upgraded my webdesign outfit ... got dreamweaver mx to code javascript ... cing as im an absolute cretin for that typa thing ... give me HTML and CSS any day ...

BTW ... josh ... if u come online ... can u contact me?? i needa no wats happening with the site now ... seeing as there are no more gigs scheduled ...

well peoples?? im young ... im on my last holidays ever ... seeing as hsc is coming up ... WHAT THE H*E*L*L SHOULD I DO??? i need ideas which dont involve alcohol either ... seeing as im underage and have seen way 2 many weird ppl drunk ...

so ... i sign out my first bunker post by saying ... im remaining the same funny (thats a matter of opinion  

cheers all ... and y not ... for old times sake ... RHM ... crack out the vodka crusiers ... and start wigglin baby  

bye all

Nathan

ncfenech(at)it.uts.edu.au
Frank B
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2003, 12:19PM »

we have a fun way to kill an evening around here. it's called: *waves fingers mistically.... drumroll out of nowhere... flashing lights... smoke machine- breaks. ****. so much for the effects* well, it doesn't really have a name other then "hey, let's go get kicked out of walmart!" go late at night when few people are there and make up fun new ways to play around and eventually be kicked out. one example is to play hunter. have one person grab a toy rifle, and the other people run around making horns on their head with their pointer fingers playing deer. the hunter shoots a deer, who then falls on the back with legs and arms in the air. after all the deer are dead get up, toss someone else the gun and go right back at it. the wackier and more inventive the more fun.
nathan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2003, 12:31PM »

frank ... your a national treasure ... no ... really ...  

but somehow ... i dont think i wanna do that??

Nathan

ncfenech(at)it.uts.edu.au
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 183   Go Up
Print
Jump to: