Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1096458 Posts in 72519 Topics- by 19535 Members - Latest Member: Twarren12
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: To be a pro?  (Read 4376 times)
« on: Jan 12, 2004, 06:28AM »

Hi there.

I consider myself to be a beginner on the tennor trombone. I want to get to the stage of playing professional jazz. where do I go from here. (not a lot of experience or knowledge).
Steve McGovern

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2004, 06:37AM »

"Excuse me, sir.  I'm lost.  Can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?"

"Sure.  Practice, man.  Practice."
Jean-François

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2004, 07:40AM »

Get yourself a good private teacher, get into a good jazz band that is playing at your level, maybe your school big band if they have one.

Listen to all the players you can, read good books and practice, practice, practice...

Jean-François
Music Education

"We can't change anything to the modes of music without endangering the stability of the state." Plato
TimS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2004, 02:12PM »

If possible, I would try to get into a band slightly above my level, rather than at my level, so as to give me added incentive to improve.

But yeah, practice a lot, study privately with a teacher, and listen to a lot of jazz (and other music).

Tim Shneier
NYC-based freelancer
phonyreal98

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2004, 02:16PM »

Infinite amounts of perfect practice makes perfect.  Try to attain the level of perfection.  How old are you anyway?
harmonslide
formerly tbone stakes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2004, 03:07PM »

To get good, you have to know what 'good' sounds like. Other wise, thinking you're getting better, you may progress in a direction that is really "off". Listen to as much good trombone playing as possible. But don't just limit it to trombone! Listen to other kinds of music, from bebop sax to classical piano to Miles Davis cool-jazz trumpet ... nothin' wrong with being versatile!  
poloboy406

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2004, 08:34PM »

I agree with Tbone Stakes, you should listen to as much jazz as you can. Find yourself an idol, whether it be a sax player, piano player, triangle player, trombone player or whatever, and try to match their sound and style. I would also recommend private lessons. It is amazing how 30-60 min a week with a teacher can make you so much better.
But one thing to remember is to never stop practicing, even if it is just 10 min a night.

Brett Zonnefeld
Bass Trombone-BCC Jazz Band
Bass Trombone-2005 All-Nothwest Jazz
Bass Trombone-2004 WA. All-State Jazz
1st Trombone-Newport Jazz Band

The first step to success is thinking "I can."
Joe Jackson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2004, 04:21AM »

I feel that being a pro is not necessarily a destination, but it is a certain path.  A person on this path has certain habits, tendencies, and for lack of better term "aura" that makes him or her a professional.

I actually wrote an article last year that describes my observations of people that exemplify the path of a pro:

Seven Habits

videomagician

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2004, 08:02AM »

Nice Covey reference...

David Settlemoir
 http://www.settlemoir.tv
Laci LeBlanc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2004, 05:13AM »

That's kinda an easy question to answer. Always challenge yourself. Practice alot and practice smart. Get a good private lesson teacher. never give up. Listen to some jazz bands. It's gonna take a while to become pro, but if it's what you wanna do, go for it!          

The delight we inspire in others, has this enchanting peculiarity. That, unlike any other reflection, returns to us more radiant than ever. (from Les Miserables) - Victor Hugo

Dream Big, tonight, and every night, and every day!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: