Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1028520 Posts in 70823 Topics- by 17303 Members - Latest Member: Wild Tide
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningHistory of the Trombone(Moderators: bhcordova, dmguion) Large Bore trombones in American Orchestras
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Large Bore trombones in American Orchestras  (Read 38357 times)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2005, 12:36PM »

Quote from: "Steve Dillon"
Quote from: "BGuttman"
We recreated a Theater Orchestra from members of the Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra.  It consisted of 11 pieces: 1st and 2nd violins, viola, cello, double bass, flute, clarinet, 2 cornets, trombone, and percussion.

Just a few comments to add to the mix.

Excellent!

The music you played, when was it dated from?

All of the music we played was vintage 1910's and 1920's.  I got most of the arrangements on Ebay, including a few from Rick Benjamin (founder and leader of the Paragon Ragtime Orchestra).  The arrangements came with varying instrumentation: sometimes there were 2 clarinets, sometimes a horn or two, or a bassoon.  Makes me understand where the picture of the guy with all those different instruments "came" from.

Btw, I have a picture postcard of a Theater Orchestra from Haverhill, MA called the Pentucket Orchestra.  I am having a problem getting a good scan of it, or I'd post it here.  The personnel consist of (left to right) flute,  clarinet, double bass, violin (conductor?), percussion (playing a "Contraption", the ancestor of today's Trap Set), cello, violin (viola?), another clarinet, trombone, and cornet.  The trombonist's instrument bears a striking resemblance to the "The King" instruments of the 1910's with a Low Pitch tuning slide and about a 7 inch bell.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Steve Dillon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2005, 03:57AM »

<All of the music we played was vintage 1910's and 1920's. I got most of the arrangements on Ebay, including a few from Rick Benjamin (founder and leader of the Paragon Ragtime Orchestra). The arrangements came with varying instrumentation: sometimes there were 2 clarinets, sometimes a horn or two, or a bassoon. Makes me understand where the picture of the guy with all those different instruments "came" from.

Btw, I have a picture postcard of a Theater Orchestra from Haverhill, MA called the Pentucket Orchestra. I am having a problem getting a good scan of it, or I'd post it here. The personnel consist of (left to right) flute, clarinet, double bass, violin (conductor?), percussion (playing a "Contraption", the ancestor of today's Trap Set), cello, violin (viola?), another clarinet, trombone, and cornet. The trombonist's instrument bears a striking resemblance to the "The King" instruments of the 1910's with a Low Pitch tuning slide and about a 7 inch bell.>

Excellent, now we see they the word orchestra can be a different term than what we think of it now.

With that said, what are the starting dates of orchestras in the US?

Here is what I found:

NY Philharmonic 1842
Philadelphia 1900
Minnesota 1903
Chicago 1890
Atlanta 1945
Buffalo 1934
Cleveland 1917
Boston 1900
The Metropolitan Opera Orchestra 1883

Basically, the orchestra, as we know it, (here in the US) was a product of the 20th century.  If we take out the Met, as it is an Opera Orchestra, we are only left with 2 orchestras that date back into the 1800ís.  The NY Philharmonic and the Chicago Symphony. (and Chicago is only 10 years into the 1800ís)

Do we all agree on this? (as I have not researched orchestra history, and might be missing something)

Sincerely,
Steve Dillon
Dillon Music
www.dillonmusic.com
Brisko

View Profile WWW