Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

947009 Posts in 62604 Topics- by 15088 Members - Latest Member: pbuie
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformanceTrombonists(Moderators: zemry, Thomas Matta) Lawrence Welk Trombone Section
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lawrence Welk Trombone Section  (Read 2334 times)
trapperjohn68

View Profile
« on: Dec 22, 2005, 06:43AM »

Would anyone happen to know who made up the Lawrence Welk trombone section?  I was watching the show the other night and I really enjoyed their sound and unity in general as a section.  I've never really heard, however, much talk about these guys.  Would members of the Lawrence Welk family have been viewed any differently by the musical community around them?
Dennis K.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2005, 07:18AM »

Lee Prager
Jim Winters
Don Heald

Nearest I can tell.  I don't know much about them.
For all the flack the LW Show gets about being un-hip (or other less kind terms), the band was stellar. Played with tremendous style, never any sloppiness.  I think that style was called "Micky Mouse" -  fast slide vibrato, on everything, including miving notes, generally slightly slower tempos for "polite" dancing.
Definitely an earlier generation's music, but very distinctive.
trapperjohn68

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2005, 07:27AM »

Yeah, that fast slide vibrato was very distinctive on the solos, but I thought it worked well with the rest of the bands style, especially with a mute.  Haha, how about those outfits, predecessor to Brian Setzer perhaps?, talk about distinctive.
zemry

"Steve Turre and myself in the French Quarter"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2005, 07:35AM »

Don't forget Bob Havens!

There won't come a time when you won't have to practice anymore.........J.J. Johnson

Richard Zemry Johnson, Jr.
Big Daddy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2005, 08:37AM »

Right on, Zemry!  And Bob's playing could never be called Mickey Mouse.

I think my favorite name for the Welk's band style is "poot butt".

Big Daddy

Senior Trombone and Announcer, Paris (TX) Municipal Band
Hank Lambert

"Bill Harris- Overlooked Trombonist of the Year"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2005, 06:49PM »

The Welk section i recall from most of the shows from the late sixties on were:
Don Staples
Kenny Trimble ( Jim Trimbles dad)
Bob Havens
Barney Liddell

Bob's "hot" style bone playing is, imho, the best of our generation. He, Jimmy Pankow, and Dick Shearer are largely responsible for me playing trombone.
denny seifried

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2005, 07:11PM »

On the earliest shows, on TV, I believe Barney Liddell was one of the tenor bone players and might have even played lead. Pete Lofthouse was the bass trombonist and when he left the show (could have passed away), Barney slide over into the bass bone chair in the show.

I can still remember, some of those early Christmas shows, when all of the musicians' families were on the Christmas Show and some of the kids performed. Kenny Trimble brought his young son, James, onto the show and either he and Kenny played a duet or maybe James played by himself, solo.

Of course, a few years later, James turned into Buddy Rich lead trombonist, Jimmy Trimble (in my opinion-the best lead player Buddy ever had!).

Denny Seifried
Bass Trombone
Dayton Jazz Orchestra & Springfield (OH) Symphony
BBb Tuba Ohio Valley British Brass Band (OVBBB) & Western Ohio Tuba Quartet
Adjunct Trombone-Wittenberg Univ. Dept. of Music
Hank Lambert

"Bill Harris- Overlooked Trombonist of the Year"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2005, 07:57PM »

Quote from: "denny seifried"
On the earliest shows, on TV, I believe Barney Liddell was one of the tenor bone players and might have even played lead. Pete Lofthouse was the bass trombonist and when he left the show (could have passed away), Barney slide over into the bass bone chair in the show.

I can still remember, some of those early Christmas shows, when all of the musicians' families were on the Christmas Show and some of the kids performed. Kenny Trimble brought his young son, James, onto the show and either he and Kenny played a duet or maybe James played by himself, solo.

Of course, a few years later, James turned into Buddy Rich lead trombonist, Jimmy Trimble (in my opinion-the best lead player Buddy ever had!).

As a closet watcher of the Welk show, I saw a show a few years ago that featured some of the kids and I saw the show you're speaking of Denny. In the same vein, I also saw a feature of kenny Trimble playing the real version of IGSOY. this guy coulda played anywhere, but chose the steady, seldom on the road Welk gig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: