Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066169 Posts in 70850 Topics- by 18680 Members - Latest Member: maplekicks
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Slide Trumpet  (Read 2239 times)
tanis_67

View Profile WWW
« on: Nov 23, 2003, 05:39AM »

I just got a Jupiter slide trumpet (also soprano trombone) and am having a hard time adjusting to the difference in size of the mouthpiece (it uses a trumpet mouthpiece).  Anyone else play a slide trumpet?  Suggestions?
harmonslide
formerly tbone stakes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2003, 07:08AM »

I don't play slide trumpet, but I play trumpet. Work on long tones and stuff--and get a trumpet method book...

Try Rubank Elementary Method for Trumpet and Cornet.

Trumpet methods have fingering charts, not slide charts.
Assuming that this slide trumpet has 7 positions, once you've figured out where they are (guide by playing a chromatic scale), learn the notes from the chart, relating fingerings to positions.

POSITION ~ FINGERING (approximate)
1st position ~ Open
2nd position ~ 2
3rd position ~ 1
4th position ~ 12
5th position ~ 23
6th position ~ 13
7th position ~ 123

Also, you can think of it this way:
1st valve: pitch lower 1 whole tone
2nd valve: pitch lower 1 half tone
3rd valve: pitch lower 1.5 whole tones

Buzzing would also help you get used to mouthpiece, I believe... buzz melodies and such.

Um, I guess that's my two cents.
David Gross

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2003, 01:01PM »

I started a thread on choosing a mouthpiece for the soprano trombone in the Mouthpieces section of the forum. I'm trying the Schilke 24 now.

Dave

Money talks. Mine says "Bye bye!"
Dan H.
He doesn't know how to put this, but he's kind of a big deal

"Conquer the devils with a little thing called love"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2003, 01:59PM »

Today's "slide trumpets" are not trumpets at all, although they do share the same mouthpiece. The bass trumpet uses a small shank trombone mouthpiece, but is it a trombone, let alone valve trombone? IMHO, no.

A true slide trumpet is different than the instrument that many today call a "slide trumpet" which has a single slide, rather than a U-shaped one. The trombone slide is a large part of what makes a trombone sound and play the way it does. The soprano trombone shares the same uniqueness as the tenor does. One thing I don't understand about soprano trombones, though is why they use trumpet mouthpieces, rather than a cornet or flugelhorn shank? Trumpet mouthpieces are so long, shallow, and tight (well, the more common ones anyway), which leads me to think that a shorter, deeper mouthpieces with a larger throat would suit the soprano trombone better. After all it's a trombone, so it should be able to retain at least some of fullness of a trombone sound.

- Daniel Havranek
slidejj

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2003, 08:13AM »

A good way to adjust to a tpt mp for a soprano is to buzz it.  My primary trombone is bass so I practice it the most.  When I need to work tenor (often) or soprano (seldom) into my routine I begin with mp buzzing.  If I have enough lead time I'll buzz for a day or two before picking up the horn.  This helps my chops adjust to the smaller mp.  And while in doubling mode I buzz both mp's beginning with the smaller before I pick up a horn.

-JJ

Bass, tenor trombone and euphonium

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." - Sergei Rachmaninoff
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2003, 08:39AM »

quote:
Originally posted by Dan H.:
Today's "slide trumpets" are not trumpets at all, although they do share the same mouthpiece . . . a true slide trumpet is different than the instrument that many today call a "slide trumpet" which has a single slide, rather than a U-shaped one.

I've seen both, recently, but far more often I see the soprano trombone. I think Getzen made slide trumpets until pretty recently -- if they're not still making them.

But I agree -- the valve trombone (including the flugabone) and the bass trumpet are very different animals.

As far as getting used to the micro-mouthpiece . . . it took me at least a half hour to start getting reliable sounds out of one of those things (not counting various random honks, squeeks and dead air). Then it took a fair while before I could really kind of play a trumpet -- as in make it produce trumpet-like sounds strung together kind of resembling music. I'm still working on developing a functional emouchure that'll last for more than a song or two (could have been there quite a while ago, but I just haven't put in the time). I think, though, that in whatever range you may have, you'll find that with the air support you're used to using, you'll be able to get pretty decent tone with a trumpet fairly easily.

Byron (the skeptic)

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: