Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1089097 Posts in 72000 Topics- by 19326 Members - Latest Member: analyssalovesmusic4
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bach Stradivarius Trigger  (Read 1539 times)
trapperjohn68

View Profile
« on: Feb 06, 2006, 01:51PM »

I've heard from many that the Bach 42B trigger mechanism is commonly known for being quite loud.  Having recently bought one thats about 4 years old, I know what they mean.  Is there anything I can do to make it any more quiet?  Other than the extremely small "klink" sound, I have loved this horn so far.
schiffko

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:03PM »

i have had miniball`s installed on my 42. silence!!!!

a new mouthpiece solves all problems for three weeks...that is why I switch every TWO!!!
Pieter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:09PM »

If it's four years old it should have a silent linkage already. Try oiling it, including the linkage perhaps, depending on the type...
KrowleyRock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:20PM »

my 36 is 6 years old, and it has the new style linkage. what i do to make it as quiet as possible is unscrew the linkage(be careful, the trigger will pop up from the spring tension) and pack the area that the screws go through with vaseline. i mean on the linkage, not on the valve. heres a crude diagram.

here          and here
(o)----------(o)
wobbles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:24PM »

Its a matter of maintianing it properly.

How often do you oil it? What sort of oil do you use? How often do you clean the linkages? I only ask because I used to have the same trouble with a 36B untill I got an earbashing from my repair guy.

I oil all moving parts with superslick key and rotor oil. Including springs. Take off the locking screws, oil up the linkages and tighten to just before the point they dont move properly. Then replace the locking screws and oil again. If the locking screws are tight, then it should be just a matter of oiling daily.

I do this every time I clean, and it always runs super smooth.

BTW I hope we have the same linkage setup. If not, disregard!!! Eeek!  Eeek!  Eeek!

"The human torch was denied a bank loan" - Ron Burgandy
Stewbones43

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:28PM »

Hi,
Check that the noise isn't coming from the valve instead of the linkage.

I had a problem on my 88H-old model with "silent" string operation and I could not get rid of the "clunk" I replaced the bumpers and the string and re-did the stringing many times. Eventually I discovered that it was the valve moving in and out very slightly. A gentle tap on the back plate stopped the problem.

Cheers

Stewbones

Trombone means big trumpet-does that mean it is louder?
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2006, 03:52PM »

the new linkage was brought about back before 1997 i believe.. unless there has been another change.  i played on one with the old ball/socket linkage... really loud

David Sullivan
Bass Trombone - Livingston Symphony Orchestra
Horns: Bach 39, King 3B, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612RII
MPCS: Faxx 7C, Hammond 11ML, Laskey 59MD, Laskey 85MD.
john jenkins

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:12PM »

Quote from: "wobbles"
Its a matter of maintianing it properly.
I oil all moving parts with superslick key and rotor oil. Including springs. Take off the locking screws, oil up the linkages and tighten to just before the point they dont move properly. Then replace the locking screws and oil again. If the locking screws are tight, then it should be just a matter of oiling daily.
I do this every time I clean, and it always runs super smooth.

He said it! Oil all of the moving/pivoting components, including the spring. And insert a little thick oil on the balls of the linkage using a bottle with a fine need pin (like Edwards makes -- spindle oil or something like that), and that should definitely do the trick!

John
DaveAshley

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2006, 09:30PM »

I tightened up the screws just right on my 36BO linkage and it's great now.  It was super noisy there for a while.....
Try everyone else's suggestions too......

elandrieu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2006, 02:27PM »

A tip that I got a few years ago, either from here or the Trombone-L, was to try the Hetman Ball Joint oil (#15).  I got it, and it is absolutely amazing how much it cleared up the noise from my 36B.
foobunny

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2006, 02:55PM »

My Bach 42B has the exact same problem. The miniball linkages hit against the lever and make a clinking sound. So, what I do is put some Hetman No. 7 Slide-Gel on the miniball linkages about once a week and that keeps it silent.
Carl Vogel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2006, 09:35AM »

Eric:
 Hi
Yea...I am glad to see you are no longer using my own personal bottle of Heitman #15 ball lube oil.

That stuff is great for the older Bachs.
 :-P

Carl Vic Vogel
Bass Trombonist; South Jersey Pops Orchestra
Second Trombonist; Eastern University Jazz Band
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: