Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1089097 Posts in 72000 Topics- by 19326 Members - Latest Member: analyssalovesmusic4
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Audition!!What to use?  (Read 2970 times)
Chocobo

View Profile
« on: Mar 02, 2006, 01:19AM »

Hi all!!!!!!I dont know if this is the right place to post this here, but u can move it to where t belongs. SO I plan to go for an audition for MPYO (Malaysian Philharmonic Youth Orchestra) Quite a hard orchestra to get it (the chances for me is 1% as i am still not very good) but I wanted to taste how auditions feel like, so I am going!!!> but they require me to prepare two pieces with different style(classical, romantic, or something like that ......something lyrical and another technical. Any suggestion???Hope that the scores are easy to obtain Hi

It is said that Music is a universal bridge, crossing the barriers of culture, age, and language. Perhaps, eventually, we will learn that it also spans those of time... and space.
Chocobo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2006, 02:02AM »

I forgot to say that I will use a standart student model yamaha trombone for thos audition

Chris

It is said that Music is a universal bridge, crossing the barriers of culture, age, and language. Perhaps, eventually, we will learn that it also spans those of time... and space.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2006, 11:14AM »

Are they looking for solo pieces or for exerpts?

If they are looking for exerpts, you could use the Mozart Requiem "Tuba Mirum" as a classical exerpt.

For a Romantic exerpt, you should select something a little faster, perhaps the "Hungarian March" or "Ride of the Valkyries".

If either of these are beyond your range, look through an exerpt book to find something that will work (or come back and tell us; I have some other ideas).

If they want you to play "concerto" style pieces, you might be able to use a Bordogni etude (Rochut) for the Classical and maybe the Guilmant "Morceau Symphonique" for the Romantic.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Chocobo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2006, 11:59AM »

I think they want solo pieces, but not that sure. The website can't be access Don't know But I will try to find that out. Oh, and it don't necessary be romantic can be in other styles. Thanks.

Chris

bmcosier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2006, 05:51PM »

If you're looking for a piece to show off good tone and internation, ie. a lyrical piece, have a look at stuff written by Jonathan Warburton. He's a Bass Trombonist from England, and he writes some nice stuff for bass and tenor trombone.

I've got his piece, "Among us" (a bass piece - I don't know if it's published yet). I got it from him personally.

"Among Us" simple to play in that it won't show off any technical skill. It will show how well you can control the tone and sound of the instrument, breathing and tuning. Another of his I've heard is very similar.

Best wishes for the audition!

Ben Cosier

Northern Sydney Youth Orchestra, Australia (principal trombone)
The Beecroft Orchestra (trombone)
St Paul's All Stars Big Band (2nd trombone)
Carols in Boronia Park (musical director)
ConnLover
Lifetime Trombone Fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2006, 05:27PM »

Those are both very good choices.

Quote from: "BGuttman"
Are they looking for solo pieces or for exerpts?

If they are looking for exerpts, you could use the Mozart Requiem "Tuba Mirum" as a classical exerpt.

For a Romantic exerpt, you should select something a little faster, perhaps the "Hungarian March" or "Ride of the Valkyries".

"Just when you're sure something can't be done, somebody will come along and do it."

-Thelonious Sphere Monk (1917-1982)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: