Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087046 Posts in 71973 Topics- by 19232 Members - Latest Member: Bach to the future
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentMouthpieces(Moderators: BGuttman, Doug Elliott) Who in their right mind plays a Bach 1 1/2G ??
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 84   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who in their right mind plays a Bach 1 1/2G ??  (Read 341884 times)
EWadie99
The Curious One

"Bass Trombone! It's like a musical bazooka!"

View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: Apr 12, 2016, 09:30AM »

Yup.  And the bass trombone players squawk every time the music goes above the bass clef because they can't play it in tune. ;-)

I also like the trumpet player BDs who figure that a 1C is a great trumpet mouthpiece, so a 1G must work great for trombone. Evil
Exactly! Good!

Ethan Wadie
Adlai E. Stevenson High School
Adlai E. Stevenson High School Titan Marching Band
Adlai E. Stevenson High School Jazz Ensemble
Adlai E. Stevenson High School Wind Ensemble
Bones:
Besson BE 639
Getzen 1062FD
savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1481 on: Apr 15, 2016, 03:41PM »

I did write in another tread that our face structure decide our choice of size. I think its part of it but not necessarily the hole truth.

I think its first about concepts. Sound or musical concepts is most important. The 1 1/2g is about the concept of sound.

I did see a masterclass recently with Jeff Reynolds. I will not say what he tell with my bad English. But it was about sound.

Anyway, is it possible to learn an equipment that dont fit your body.......I think its possible but it have some limits.

I think the most important thing is to have a sound goal. Musical goal...music....

Leif

Bass Trombone - Conn, Holton
Douglas Brown

View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: May 17, 2016, 04:39AM »

I can think of a number of people who have gotten into the finals for big orchestras on the 1 1/2 G (one of them for CSO), and several who have won jobs. It depends on how well it complements the player's natural sound, and how well it enables a serious player to realize what they hear in their head.
Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: May 17, 2016, 09:09AM »

I have to say I was shocked to learn that Matt Jefferson (from Maniacal 4) uses a Wick 2NL.   Amazed

sfboner

View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: May 17, 2016, 10:31AM »

This is a tiny bit off-topic as I'm talking about tenor playing. 

I recently played an Esa-Pekka Salonen piece that had a page of FFF writing below the staff - around 20 pedal Bb's and ending on a chunky low C.  A very high level player (top 5 orchestra Assoc. Principal) played principal on this set, and let me know he was using a 1.5G for this page of music.  I thought "why not give it a try?" and hell if he wasn't on to something.  It worked a charm and sounded great.
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: May 17, 2016, 10:45AM »

I play a 1-1/2G on my large tenor all the time (since I play bass almost 99% of the time).

I like it.

"Remember, your trombone is not a weapon!" -Ben van Dijk
EWadie99
The Curious One

"Bass Trombone! It's like a musical bazooka!"

View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: May 23, 2016, 03:56PM »

I play a 1-1/2G on my large tenor all the time (since I play bass almost 99% of the time).

I like it.
I'm doing the same thing with my Schilke 58 although is an older 88H but at least is work for me.

Ethan Wadie
Adlai E. Stevenson High School
Adlai E. Stevenson High School Titan Marching Band
Adlai E. Stevenson High School Jazz Ensemble
Adlai E. Stevenson High School Wind Ensemble
Bones:
Besson BE 639
Getzen 1062FD
savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1487 on: Jun 20, 2016, 10:03AM »

Here is a little tune I made with my Doug Elliott MB 108. Conn shank. The MB 108 is same size as a 1 1/2 but the rim is some more flat and very comfortable on the mouth.

https://youtu.be/Nw_u1at6LZc

Leif

(Sorry I make all this videos, it started with making it for my mother who lived fare a way. None of my videos in my youtube channel are practiced or planned. Its mostly finding a tune, play it the same day and have fun. I planned to making some more of them arranged better, but maybe later in life....but I make them also to show its possible to make a big sound on smaller mouthpieces)

blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: Sep 14, 2016, 11:09AM »

Okay.... two weeks ago I snapped up a Mt Vernon 1 1/2G advertised in classifieds....
Never played one like this.... the most amazing sound and feel I have ever come across... quite different from the others I have played.
Well, I have sold out to the big rims and easy feel ... BUT....
This one I NEED to try and work with... it's not easy to play but the rewards..... oooohhhhhh !!!!!!
Can I downsize ??? Watch this space....

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
Gabe Langfur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1489 on: Sep 14, 2016, 12:10PM »

Okay.... two weeks ago I snapped up a Mt Vernon 1 1/2G advertised in classifieds....
Never played one like this.... the most amazing sound and feel I have ever come across... quite different from the others I have played.
This one I NEED to try and work with... it's not easy to play but the rewards..... oooohhhhhh !!!!!!

Chris Stearn

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Symphony
Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass

Trombone Faculty
Boston University
Kinhaven Music School
Wellesley College

S. E. Shires Artist
snorsworthy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1490 on: Sep 14, 2016, 12:28PM »

Guys,

I play alto/tenor/bass, and have a wide array of mouthpieces and lead pipes. That being said, the problem with going that large of a mouthpiece on a 0.547-tenor is this: at first we are amazed at how much 'bigger' we perceive our sound is, but that is the player's perspective. What is actually happening is that we are loosing core and compactness of sound, and the sound is spreading wide, but, "is the sound actually projecting more?" That is a rhetorical question. The answer is 'no'. Anytime we spread core out beyond what the instrument is sized for, we loose projection. Does it aid in low register volume? 'Yes'. Is that a crutch? It depends on the player's ability. A better solution is to stay within the parameters of the instrument design and go slightly larger on the cup depth, back bore, and lead pipe venturi, and only do it under special circumstances and pieces.

Best regards,
Steve Norsworthy

Professional Engineer
Professional Trombonist
snorsworthy.com
blast

View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: Sep 14, 2016, 01:44PM »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yeh yeh, I know.... read my first ever post in this thread...

This one might work.... more open down low... more slotted... above all, a rim I might actually be able to live with....

Chris Stearn

savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1492 on: Sep 14, 2016, 10:42PM »

Good! Good! Good! Good!

When the rim feels good, this will go fine!
Congratulations!

Leif

wgwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: Sep 15, 2016, 05:07AM »

Guys,

I play alto/tenor/bass, and have a wide array of mouthpieces and lead pipes. That being said, the problem with going that large of a mouthpiece on a 0.547-tenor is this: at first we are amazed at how much 'bigger' we perceive our sound is, but that is the player's perspective. What is actually happening is that we are loosing core and compactness of sound, and the sound is spreading wide, but, "is the sound actually projecting more?" That is a rhetorical question. The answer is 'no'. Anytime we spread core out beyond what the instrument is sized for, we loose projection. Does it aid in low register volume? 'Yes'. Is that a crutch? It depends on the player's ability. A better solution is to stay within the parameters of the instrument design and go slightly larger on the cup depth, back bore, and lead pipe venturi, and only do it under special circumstances and pieces.

Best regards,
Steve Norsworthy

Well a 1 and 1/2G is too big for a .547 bore instrument.

Holton TR 180 MV 1 and 1/2G
wgwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: Sep 15, 2016, 05:08AM »

Chris Stearn

This one might work.... more open down low... more slotted... above all, a rim I might actually be able to live with....

Chris Stearn

Yeh, yeh. Keep rubbing it in.  :cry: :cry: :-0 ;-)

blast

View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: Sep 15, 2016, 05:37AM »

Yeh, yeh. Keep rubbing it in.  :cry: :cry: :-0 ;-)

Sorry Bill..... there is a good chance you might not like it.... very much away from the norm... wider, flatter rim, so feels very different on the face... it forces you to form your embouchure in a particular way. Visually it is close to my other MV 1 1/2G, but not when it is on the face.

Chris Stearn

wgwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: Sep 15, 2016, 06:30AM »

Just joking around. Sounds like you're on an interesting journey. Enjoy!

blast

View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: Sep 15, 2016, 10:50AM »

Just joking around. Sounds like you're on an interesting journey. Enjoy!

It's very interesting.... I thought my Elliotts had brought the mouthpiece game to an end... for me they totally work... I don't have to think about the mouthpiece element at all with them.
Now I pick up this old 1 1/2G that is a revelation to play... HOW is it so good ???? I cannot see any reason, but I will say this... the shank has been shaved down a little so it goes in more than usual... if I build up the shank so it sticks out the normal amount it is less impressive.... tiny details....
I have been checking other mouthpieces that I own and find that 2Gs are smaller in the throat than 1 1/2Gs, even though the catalog says they are the same....

Chris Stearn

Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: Sep 15, 2016, 01:53PM »

After reading that post, what stood out to me today was:

"Ask yourself when you play...is this the most interesting sound I've ever made ?"

I don't know that I've ever had one mouthpiece/sound that fit that description.  Most interesting how?  I have several that all do different things very well.  Choosing between them becomes difficult.  In fact, that "honeymoon" period when changing mouthpieces may often be, for me, that I have missed what it has to offer and it's nice to have that back.  Then, 6 months later I pick up one of the others and OH YEAH!  That's why I keep this one around!

So, if you can (and I don't mean that as a challenge), would you define what you think is "the most interesting sound?"

- Dan

blast

View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: Sep 15, 2016, 03:44PM »

After reading that post, what stood out to me today was:

"Ask yourself when you play...is this the most interesting sound I've ever made ?"

I don't know that I've ever had one mouthpiece/sound that fit that description.  Most interesting how?  I have several that all do different things very well.  Choosing between them becomes difficult.  In fact, that "honeymoon" period when changing mouthpieces may often be, for me, that I have missed what it has to offer and it's nice to have that back.  Then, 6 months later I pick up one of the others and OH YEAH!  That's why I keep this one around!

So, if you can (and I don't mean that as a challenge), would you define what you think is "the most interesting sound?"

- Dan

A very good question indeed....
I have been listening on Youtube today.... trying to redefine my idea of an interesting sound, hoping to justify working with this mouthpiece. It was easy... I still like the same players, still dislike some other players.... I like a bass trombone sound that has a complex, overtone rich quality... has focus, clarity and a character that makes me want to keep listening. I want to hear music, and for that you need a musical sound. Listening live is the ultimate test and I have my list of players, past and present that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I heard them play.
This mouthpiece helps me a little to get in the sound direction I want.... it's not a lot... many people may not hear a difference.....but to me it's important. Feel is different... this thing feels like it's a league ahead of anything else I've played.... I'm getting massive feedback and the feel of a guiding hand through the physical aspects of playing... it sort of makes me do things better... makes me work at it.

Chris Stearn

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 84   Go Up
Print
Jump to: