Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1076811 Posts in 71271 Topics- by 18956 Members - Latest Member: StanleyD
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentMouthpieces(Moderators: BGuttman, Doug Elliott) Who in their right mind plays a Bach 1 1/2G ??
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who in their right mind plays a Bach 1 1/2G ??  (Read 328928 times)
tbarh

View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: May 27, 2017, 04:17AM »

Great post, Bob ! ...Keep it coming !  Good! Good!
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: May 27, 2017, 10:10AM »

Very good post Bob. You are so right. Of course, when I first heard a George Roberts recording tone was only a part of what shocked me... His great time and phrasing were a revelation.... but we must always base our tonal judgement on live sounds.
Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: Aug 09, 2017, 02:06PM »

but we must always base our tonal judgement on live sounds.

I desperately try to hear bass trombonists live when I can - but that is so few and far between where I am - out local symphony rarely has a full trombone compliment.  I found a guy that lives locally who is a top notch bass trombonist - I'm trying to get some lessons with him with 95% of the reason being that I just want to hear him up close.

I wish it weren't so hard.

"Remember, your trombone is not a weapon!" -Ben van Dijk
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: Aug 09, 2017, 02:29PM »

I desperately try to hear bass trombonists live when I can - but that is so few and far between where I am - out local symphony rarely has a full trombone compliment.  I found a guy that lives locally who is a top notch bass trombonist - I'm trying to get some lessons with him with 95% of the reason being that I just want to hear him up close.

I wish it weren't so hard.

You live in a beautiful part of the world... You can't have everything. Gabe is not so far away and makes a great sound. I will be in MA over Christmas... if you want to travel we could play some duets... beer keeps me happy.

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: Aug 09, 2017, 02:41PM »

You live in a beautiful part of the world... You can't have everything. Gabe is not so far away and makes a great sound. I will be in MA over Christmas... if you want to travel we could play some duets... beer keeps me happy.

Chris Stearn

I wouldn't miss that opportunity! I'll get in touch with you as December nears.

I do try to travel to Boston when I can.  I'm actually moving about an hour closer at the end of the month so it's only about 2hrs away.

Gabe Langfur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1645 on: Aug 09, 2017, 02:52PM »

Chris Stearn

Thank you Chris!

Yes, there are a lot of great trombone players in New England. I feel very lucky to be part of the community.

Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Symphony
Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass

Trombone Faculty
Boston University
Kinhaven Music School
Wellesley College

S. E. Shires Artist
Torobone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1646 on: Aug 14, 2017, 08:06AM »

I finally got my hands on a vintage-ish Yamaha 322 from the mid-90s. These horns have a great sound that is so easy to produce - it is likely a .547 with a beautiful bass register.

I will only use a 1-1/2G in it. My best one is a Kelly made of Lexan, but my Holton 1-1/2G is quite nice too.

My Bach 1-1/2G is an anti-MV. It is awful, and I wouldn't want to burden another person with it by selling it.

Martin Hubel
Yamaha 891Z & 830 Xeno bass (both played regularly) , '74 Bach 42B, Yamaha 322 bass
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: Aug 14, 2017, 11:16AM »

I did some blind tests with my wife listening and hands down she preferred my Greg Black 1-1/2G over anything else I have of all different sizes; and I have a decent collection.

There is just something about that size, especially with the rather custom Shires setup I have.

Can't wait to try out my Mr. Bass Trombone Reeves/BrassArk mouthpiece that's coming today.  I used to have one and if I remember right, it is a real contender.

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: