Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092751 Posts in 72323 Topics- by 19429 Members - Latest Member: 17williarw
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentMouthpieces(Moderators: BGuttman, Doug Elliott) Who in their right mind plays a Bach 1 1/2G ??
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who in their right mind plays a Bach 1 1/2G ??  (Read 351631 times)
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:24AM »

I haven't read this whole 84 page post so excuse me if I am repeating what someone might have already mentioned. Is it absurd to have a Large Bass Trombone setup and also a smaller setup? Tenor Trombonist do it who both play Jazz and Classical . What I have used in the past to play 2nd( Bass Trombone) Trombone in a Pit Orchestra , 3rd Trombone in a Concert Band , 2 Trombones in a  Small Big Band is way different from what I choose to use Playing 5th Trb in a Big Band ,, Or playing the Tuba Parts In a Brass Quintet, Orchestral Bass Trombone or Covering "Tower Of Power" Bari parts in a Rock Band.I enjoy playing many styles of Music and I find the One Mouthpiece One Horn method does not meet my needs for all styles that I play. I choose My Equipment( mouthpiece and horn) for the type of music I will be playing . I have and use a 1 1/2G Megatone and a Greg Black 0G and others. I also play Tenor Trb,Lead Trombone, Jazz Trombone , Classical Tenor, Contrabass  Trb and a 5/4 BBbb and a smaller 4/4 Bbb Tuba. Whatever Works ... Too Each Their Own. I kinda wish the "One Size Fits All " concept worked for me. It would be  less expensive.

If you have equipment that works for you, physically and sonically then you need for nothing.Over the last 84 pages I have repeated myself regularly. I have played big and small bass mouthpieces professionally in every kind of setting and both have plusses and minuses. In between sizes just seem for me to be the worst of all worlds.
The bottom line for me is sound, and I get closest to the sound I want on a Mt Vernon 1 1/2G Bach. Nothing else comes close... but people listening to me don't hear such a big difference,so it may be self satisfaction. I play a Mt Vernon 11 on small tenor and a MV 25 on small tuba and MV 24AW on big tuba. Elliott on contra and something odd on Euphonium.
To help with low bass trombone parts I carry a big mouthpiece in the case. I never use it, but knowing it is there makes the 1 1/2G work great.

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
EWadie99
The Curious One

"Bass Trombone! It's like a musical bazooka!"

View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:16PM »

The more I read this, the more I'm intrigued on trying on of this MT. Vernon Bach 1.5G, also the 2G.  Or even a close equivalent would be just as good!  Now I need to find a good vintage horn like a old Conn 62H, King Duo Gravis, old Bach 50, etc. Evil  I'm sad to say my current Schilke 59 & 60 pieces, if it's as good as the hype is, you both have been replaced! Evil

Ethan Wadie
Adlai E. Stevenson High School
Adlai E. Stevenson High School Jazz Ensemble
Adlai E. Stevenson High School Wind Ensemble
Bones:
Conn 88H (Generation II)
Getzen 1062FD
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:49PM »

The more I read this, the more I'm intrigued on trying on of this MT. Vernon Bach 1.5G, also the 2G.  Or even a close equivalent would be just as good!  Now I need to find a good vintage horn like a old Conn 62H, King Duo Gravis, old Bach 50, etc. Evil  I'm sad to say my current Schilke 59 & 60 pieces, if it's as good as the hype is, you both have been replaced! Evil

Well Ethan, it's probably just old guys having a rant. If you listen to old recordings of bass trombone playing and think it sounds better than new recordings you are heading to retro gear. Most people like the newer sounds. If you try a MV 1 1/2G you might love it.. you might not. Nearest thing made today is the Greg Black 1 1/2G... if you get a good one. I am over in MA for Christmas and blowing my son's Bb/F Holton with a Greg Black 1 1/2G... feels great.

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: