Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1089097 Posts in 72000 Topics- by 19326 Members - Latest Member: analyssalovesmusic4
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: They say I'm cheating  (Read 7856 times)
Steve McGovern

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2006, 11:51AM »

Quote from: "BFW"
Alan Raph's book on the double valve bass trombone advocates using the valves in the upper register, and has exercises for exactly that.

I was recently listening to a solo CD by a world-renowned bass trombonist, trying to figure out what annoyed me so much.  I believe it was that he used valves to facillitate slurring.  Sure, it was very musical but, it just didn't sound like a trombone anymore.  Maybe I've just become to used to the "air gap" that a legato tongue requires?
BFW
Pun Gent

"Paronomasiacs Homonymous"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2006, 12:23PM »

Quote from: "Steve McGovern"
Sure, it was very musical but, it just didn't sound like a trombone anymore.

If it was musical, I don't see a problem.  I don't see any reason not to use the instrument you have in your hands.  Few audience members would care about the slight distinctions you are talking about.

If you advocate the use of the valveless F bass over the double valve Bb bass, fine, but if people are to play valved basses, they may as well use the valves to best advantage, and "very musical" seems like best advantage.

Brian

Our supreme responsibility is the moral obligation to be intelligent. -- Oliver L. Reiser
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 2006, 05:10PM »

Slidemasterx, are any of the taunters folks who play French Horn?  Any of them own Double Horns?  That's as much "cheating" as your using a valve.

Know what else?  Tell them all to pound sand.  Go play what you want how you want.  As long as it is musical.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Steve McGovern

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 19, 2006, 07:59PM »

Quote from: "BFW"
If it was musical, I don't see a problem.

I'm fully prepared to admit that it's my problem, not his.  But the fact remains that before I listened closely, there was something about the music that just didn't sit well with my ears.  Because I can now put my finger on it shouldn't invalidate that.  And let's face it, trombone players perform solos mostly for other trombonists.
slidemasterx

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 19, 2006, 10:28PM »

Well they are mostly string players and clarinets. When they say it thay don't exactly say it in a mean way. Sort of like a question but it's still annoying.

All the I can say that they think this way because of what a teacher said in a class.

Yamaha ysl-356g w/ Yamaha 48
Mahlerbone

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 20, 2006, 08:18PM »

Quote from: "slidemasterx"
Well they are mostly string players and clarinets. When they say it thay don't exactly say it in a mean way. Sort of like a question but it's still annoying.

All the I can say that they think this way because of what a teacher said in a class.

What did that teacher say?  Was it a brass methods class?

Shires alto w/ yellow bell
Shires T00NLW, 1YM8, 1.5 tuning slide
Shires TB47G, 7YLW, TY tuning slide, standard rotor
Shires B62LW, BI 2G, Bollinger tuning slide, dependent Trubores
slidemasterx

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 21, 2006, 12:12AM »

I think it was Orchestral Instruments class. I was explaining to the class about the F attachment and the teacher jumped in and "corrected me".

So now everyone in that class thinks that I'm cheating! Mad

Slidennis

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 21, 2006, 12:35AM »

Lips slurrying the low notes, below      that's truly cheating...  So with the use of the F attachment you don't cheat at all...

Besides, the trigger range has its own challenge : to be able to make that range as nimble as the middle range is not easy at all...  Clever

Denis
Mahlerbone

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 21, 2006, 05:42AM »

Quote from: "slidemasterx"
I think it was Orchestral Instruments class. I was explaining to the class about the F attachment and the teacher jumped in and "corrected me".

So now everyone in that class thinks that I'm cheating! Mad

So what you should do is re-correct:  Tell everyone why you use the F-attachment and why it's not cheating.  Besides, you could just fire back and tell everyone that they're cheating because they have twenty buttons and you only have one.

Also, tell them that Joe Alessi, principal trombone of the NY Philharmonic, uses an F-attachment.  Is he cheating?

Shires alto w/ yellow bell
Shires T00NLW, 1YM8, 1.5 tuning slide
Shires TB47G, 7YLW, TY tuning slide, standard rotor
Shires B62LW, BI 2G, Bollinger tuning slide, dependent Trubores
slidemasterx

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2006, 09:44PM »

Yes I’m trying to re-educate those have that mentality but it’s gonna take a lot of time.

Burfer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Mar 29, 2006, 04:29AM »

Here's something to do to make sure it's not affecting your slide technique: play a B-flat scale, up and down an octave, entirely in first using your trigger (starting from     b) and then play it again using the slide positions proper. You want the first time to sound just as good as the second and vice versa.
svenlarsson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: Mar 30, 2006, 11:07PM »

I think we are all cheating.
All musicians are.
Violinists donít play on gut strings, their violins are re-built to be louder, their bows are modernized.
Trumpet players donít use F- trumpets as the main orchestra trumpet any more, and they use valves today, clarinet players moved the mouthpiece so that the reed is on the lower side, their key system is improved, the French horns also use valves, and also use the shorter Bb horn on the high range.

We do anything to play the music better and with less strain.

That is cheating!!!! ;-)

Cheating to make good music! Sing it!
Keep on cheating! Good!

Kanstul 1662. Bach 45B. Kanstul 1555. Besson Euphonium. Kanstul 66-S Tuba. Sackbuts in F/E/Eb Bb/A
And several horns I should sell.
Brian Santero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: Apr 04, 2006, 02:19PM »

Quote from: "svenlarsson"
the French horns also use valves, and also use the shorter Bb horn on the high range.

Or the even shorter F side in triple horns! Amazed

I didn't even know triple horns existed until this summer.

Tenor, Alto Trombonist

Practice makes permanent.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: