Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1089097 Posts in 72000 Topics- by 19326 Members - Latest Member: analyssalovesmusic4
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformanceMusical Miscellany(Moderators: JP, BGuttman) Neck Surgery - Will It Affect MY Playing?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Neck Surgery - Will It Affect MY Playing?  (Read 1645 times)
Howard Schneck

View Profile
« on: Mar 29, 2006, 05:59AM »

I have a medical question relating to trombones.

I need to have one of the parathyroid glands in my neck surgically removed. I am worried about it possibly having a detrimental effect on my playing.

Has anyone else gone through this or have some information on neck operations and any side effects it had on one's playing?

Thanks!

Howard Schneck
Tenor Trombone
The Brass Consort (5tet)
Burlington Co. Local 336 Jazz & Concert Band
Philadelphia Doctor's Chamber Orchestra
The Burning Bush (Klezmer Group)
denny seifried

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2006, 06:15AM »

Hi Howard,

Welcome to the OTJ Forum and I have already forwarded your medical question to an  OTJ Forum member/trombonist/physician, who always has some great answers, to our medical problems.

Hang on, and check back to see what Galen has to say about your playing after surgery.

I know, it is often difficult to get a straight answer from your surgeon, especially if they are not wind musicians and have no-clue in what is involved with sound production on something like a trombone.

Good luck with your recovery! Good!

Denny Seifried
Bass Trombone
Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Jazz Central Big Band, Mojo Brass & Springfield (OH) Symphony
BBb Tuba Ohio Valley British Brass Band (OVBBB) & Western Ohio Tuba Quartet
Adjunct Trombone-Wittenberg Univ. Dept. of Music
Molefsky

"Very old photo..."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2006, 09:09AM »

I know, it is often difficult to get a straight answer from your surgeon, especially if they are not wind musicians and have no-clue in what is involved with sound production on something like a trombone.

Amen to that!! Horrors!

Molefsky
freelance trombonist
Full-time Environmental Engineering Consultant
Orestes
Bone Vivant

"Bone Vivant"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2006, 02:08PM »

Quote from: "Howard Schneck"
I have a medical question relating to trombones.

I need to have one of the parathyroid glands in my neck surgically removed. I am worried about it possibly having a detrimental effect on my playing.

Has anyone else gone through this or have some information on neck operations and any side effects it had on one's playing?

Thanks!

Aside from a temporary problem with some swelling/pain in your thyroid area, I cannot see any obvious deletarious effect on your trombone playing. Back pressure and muscle tension may cause some discomfort in the neck area for a while but I can forsee no problem with anything to do with 'bone playing, e.g. labial, lingual breathing muscles etc. After any surgery there is a couple week recovery period but after that there should not be a problem. On the other hand taking care of hyperparathyroidism from an adenoma can have a very beneficial effect on your health and well being. Hope that everything goes well.  

Hope this helps.

Galen McQuarrie

"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win.  Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins. This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins."  Dizzy Gillespie
windofdeth

"TUNE IT, OR DIE!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2006, 04:06PM »

Last year I was in a very bad car accident, the air bag went off on my head (I was bending over to pick somthing off the floor). This herniated some of the vertibral disks in my neck, also pinching my spinal cord making movment quite painful. I was told that i probably wouldn't be able to play trombone for at least a year. I was so mad. So 5 months after the accident they STILL haven't sent me into any kind of therepy or surgery. SO I said "I"M GOING TO PLAY TROMBONE ANYWAY, AND THERES NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!!!  :-P " so after playing for about 2 or 3 weeks, I noticed that my neck pain started to go away. When i went for my monthly x-ray, the doc says " Don't know  well i don't know how it happened, but you've seem to have un-herniated your neck and freed your spinal cord" I of course was overjoyed to hear that! So by NOT listening to the doctor, I was able to heal faster. I wouldn't do it again for the risk of becoming parayzed, but still a very good story i think.

What do the letters pp mean to a trombone player?

1. An opportunity for an improvised solo.

2. A polite reminder that he has been playing too loud for the past 5 minutes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: