Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088747 Posts in 71958 Topics- by 19317 Members - Latest Member: Whitewolf07
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: tongue control- frenulum  (Read 1475 times)
xemergencyponcho

View Profile
« on: Apr 09, 2006, 05:58PM »

This is a very random post but I really need some advice if anyone has some. I have an abnormally attatached frenulum in my mouth, which is the piece of skin that attaches your tongue to the bottom of your mouth. It is more attached than the normal person's, giving me less movement with my tongue. I am a serious trombone player and will be studying music in college, but it has now come up again that I should look into getting my frenulum cut to prevent dentistry problems. This is all well and good with me, but I am concerned with what will happen to my playing. Will it change the amount of control I have over my tongue? Will it put me out of commission for a long time? Will I have to relearn how to play? These are not exactly the type of questions that I can ask my dentist, so I decided to post it here. If anyone has any advice or people to refer to, please let me know. Thanks very much.
TenorTrombonist17

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2006, 06:40PM »

Well I cannot give you any exact answers, as I've never experienced this, but a good friend of mine had this same problem.  He had problems with multiple tonguing and in some registers, but getting it cut helped him a lot.  I wouldn't expect a minor surgery like that to put you out for too long, or have any negative long term effects, but once I again I don't speak from experience so don't quote me on any of this.

John

Mahler man
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: