Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1089097 Posts in 72000 Topics- by 19326 Members - Latest Member: analyssalovesmusic4
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformanceMusical Miscellany(Moderators: JP, BGuttman) composing in various keys - emotional effects?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: composing in various keys - emotional effects?  (Read 7871 times)
Brian Santero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Apr 17, 2006, 07:06PM »

Quote from: "JP"
I think that B major is one of the prettiest keys to play on trombone. Play a tune in C, play the same tune in Bb, then play it in B. Beautiful tones, especially on bass trombone.

I actually agree with this. Whenever I make up little ditties, they sound best in B Maj. Strange, but it's very true.

Tenor, Alto Trombonist

Practice makes permanent.
bickle
Formerly titled by the Walt

"Horn cues are good!"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 21, 2006, 08:25AM »

Back when I was singing in a choir, we did a little a capella thing that was in F. We would end up a half step flat all the time, in E, essentially. Before we were out of the first measure, we'd all go flat a half step. So my choir conductor was telling me about a study he read that basically, the majority of people would find a comfortable pitch, which was some combination of E, F#, and A. (I think. I'm pretty sure E and F# are right because of the story related below, but I'm going on memory, so if anybody can find this study, don't crucify me on the details!) Like, the study asked people to sing simple songs, and most people would start in one of those keys that would end up closest to a comfortable range. There were some exceptions, like most people would sing the Star Spangled Banner in Bb regardless.

So we took that song, and without telling us, he pitched it up in E. We sang through, no problem holding the pitch. Played the last chord for us, and we're dead on. (I should point out, I only know this because I was standing next to the piano, and watched him pitch it up.) Next rehearsal, he pitched it up in F#- also no problem, we held the pitch. More people noticed the change, though- like, nobody noticed when we went down a half step, but some noticed when we went up a half step. So the next time we did it, he put it back in F- we were a half step flat before we got through two measures. Settled nicely into E major, and were a half step flat when he played the final chord for us. (I'm pretty sure we sang it in E major from there on out, but the last two happened at the dress rehearsal.)

So I dunno- maybe some keys are more "natural"? I'm not certain it wasn't due to musical socialization; I would think that the band geeks in the crowd would be more comfortable with F than F#, and there were plenty of us. Maybe the orchestral types would be more comfortable in E than F, and there were plenty of them, too. But I would think the choir types should be equally comfortable in E or F, but probably not F#, since it just doesn't crop up much at all.

I was just listening to commentary on Mahler 4- the Benjamin Zander/Philharmonia edition, for those interested. He mentioned something about the key of E major being related to heaven in many works. Maybe it's cultural, but maybe it's got something to do with natural tendancies, too?
Jeff Smith

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 26, 2006, 10:47AM »

I know for me, there's certain keys I just don't like. C major is one of them.

I do have a certain fondness of D minor and B major. E minor is quickly becoming a new favorite though.

I actually don't like Bb major, the "primary" scale for band instruments. I don't know why, but I guess after playing it in school for all these years, it's gotten monotonous. Ironically, I like G minor.

Long live the Aeolian mode.  Evil

(customized) Getzen 3062AF - custom Greg Black
(customized) Getzen 1062FD - Greg Black 1.5G
dmguion
Official curmudgeon

"Support your local music librarian!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: Apr 27, 2006, 06:01AM »

Quote from: "bickle"

I was just listening to commentary on Mahler 4- the Benjamin Zander/Philharmonia edition, for those interested. He mentioned something about the key of E major being related to heaven in many works. Maybe it's cultural, but maybe it's got something to do with natural tendancies, too?

That's odd. Not too long ago, I listened to my recording of Haydn's Seven Last Words. The accompanying notes mention the keys of most of the movements, along with how Haydn used those same keys throughout his career. He always used E major, according to this author to the best of my recollection, for bleak and cheerless moods.

I suspect that many composers have had very definite ideas of the emotional meaning of the various keys. There may be some kind of rough consensus among composers of the same time and place, but just comparing Mahler's and Haydn's use of E major, it certainly appears that composers of different eras will have very different ideas.

David M. Guion
Tradition is the handing-on of Fire, and not the worship of Ashes.
- Gustav Mahler

Visit my blogs, The All-Purpose Guru (Home)
Follow me on Twitter @dmguion
Brisko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: Apr 27, 2006, 06:37AM »

Something else to remember when talking about this is the huge variation of pitch standards over the years.  

I don't know what Haydn's preferred A was, but Mozart's was 421 Hz.  Closer to our modern day G#.   Handel's was 422 Hz.  And at other times, the standard has been much higher, as high as A = 452 Hz, which approaches our modern A#.  

So when one composer refers to E major as heavenly, and another thinks of it as bleak, it is important to remember that there may be more than a half step difference between the two, depending on time and place.  And I think the sound and timbre of a particular piece in a particular key would be quite different, depending on your standard pitch.

Try playing the Mozart Tuba Mirum in A, or B major, instead of the written Bb and you'll see what I mean.

"Even a blind hog finds a kernel of corn now and again."
marty nichols

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 27, 2006, 07:18AM »

Interesting trivia: The "ohm" used in Indian meditation should be based on C# (not Db (they are different). C# has a certain resonance in the nervous system that is very relaxing yet clearing.-Brian Santero

It's not a biggie, but for such an "astute post" you should have correctly spelled "Om".
Ohm is a measurement of electrical resistance.

Marty Nichols

Yamaha  653
bickle

"Horn cues are good!"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 27, 2006, 07:49AM »

Quote from: "dmguion"
I suspect that many composers have had very definite ideas of the emotional meaning of the various keys. There may be some kind of rough consensus among composers of the same time and place, but just comparing Mahler's and Haydn's use of E major, it certainly appears that composers of different eras will have very different ideas.

It's kind of like trombones. Sometimes we're the voice of god, sometimes, we're the devil, sometimes the gates of heaven, sometimes the bowels of hell....

Grin

Don't know

It reminds me of these two professors I had. They had an argument going about some major aspect of polymer chemistry. So we'd go to class in the morning, and the one guy would say, this is how it is. So after lunch, we'd go to the other class, and he'd say something like, my esteemed colleague neglects the work of so and so. Then the next day, the first guy would say, if you were to factor in the work of such and such, you would see that I'm correct. And of course, this argument is going way over the heads of us mere undergrads. Turned out that the TAs were eating lunch together, talking about what was going on in class, and then relaying it to the other professors. It all ended when the two of them got drunk at the department Christmas party and had a slurred yelling match about whatever arcane rule it was that sparked the debate. I wish I had been there, that must have been fun. Darned if I can remember what they were arguing about though.
svenlarsson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: Apr 29, 2006, 12:09PM »

First, I can not hear d-minor as the saddest of all keys.

(That could be because lots of Swedish folk-music is played in d-minor.)

I hear C# minor as a beautiful sad key on many minor melodies. More then d-minor, but thats me.

I dont believe that the key in itself have a emotional effect, it depends on the melodic intervals as well.

But I do believe that a certain melody can change character when transposed, if nothing else because the intervals will be higher or lower.

Listen to a major third played like c-e, compare it to f-a, does it sound the same?
Not in my ears. how about F-A? More tension I say. C-E even more tension. If played simultaneous its muddy.

Sometimes singers have bands transpose arrangement to another key then the arranger have written, and some good arrangements that sounds interesting with a good mixture of tension and relaxing gets uninteresting with not much tension, or on the other way muddy and no relaxing.

If the arranger gets a chance to rewrite the arrangement he will probably change the whole arrangement for that reason.

So right, for certain effects of melodic or harmonic interval there is a best key.

For example, why did Beethoven compose his "Moonlight" Sonata in C#, and his 7th Symphony in A major? And why is Mahler's 6th Symphony in A minor, and Shostakovich's "Festive Overture" in Ab?

The music would certainly sound different in other keys (try it!), and probably not give you the same emotions.

Kanstul 1662. Bach 45B. Kanstul 1555. Besson Euphonium. Kanstul 66-S Tuba. Sackbuts in F/E/Eb Bb/A
And several horns I should sell.
BFW
Pun Gent

"Paronomasiacs Homonymous"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 29, 2006, 12:34PM »

A lot of this discussion is hinging on the current concept of minor keys being sad.  That is purely a modern affectation.  There is a lot of happy music written in minor keys or in modes that have a minor third in what would be the tonic triad.  There is sad music written in major keys.  Bach and others sometimes used rhythmic devices to indicate mood.

I agree with Sven; range has something to do with how the music sounds.  That's why I would say that a fair comparison of keys would have to maintain approximately the same range and same tessitura in the various keys, rather than comparing the same music in two different keys.  Composers will choose keys to allow use of certain octaves or certain notes in certain instruments (e.g. trombone pedals, open strings on violins), which is mostly a range consideration.

But in a primarily equal-tempered environment, or in one where intonation is done relative to the key of the moment, I'd expect there to be little or no difference between keys, other than range and facility issues.

Brian

Our supreme responsibility is the moral obligation to be intelligent. -- Oliver L. Reiser
Mahlerbone

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2006, 08:24AM »

Quote from: "BFW"
A lot of this discussion is hinging on the current concept of minor keys being sad.  That is purely a modern affectation.  There is a lot of happy music written in minor keys or in modes that have a minor third in what would be the tonic triad.  There is sad music written in major keys.  Bach and others sometimes used rhythmic devices to indicate mood.

Can you give an example of happy music written in a minor key?  I can't seem to think of one right now.

Shires alto w/ yellow bell
Shires T00NLW, 1YM8, 1.5 tuning slide
Shires TB47G, 7YLW, TY tuning slide, standard rotor
Shires B62LW, BI 2G, Bollinger tuning slide, dependent Trubores
bickle

"Horn cues are good!"

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2006, 08:27AM »

The first thing that pops to mind is a piece I sang a while back called "Gaudete", which is decidedly minor, but I believe means "Rejoice". It's a Christmas song; Gaudete, Christus est natus.
BFW
Pun Gent

"Paronomasiacs Homonymous"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2006, 09:24AM »

Quote from: "Mahlerbone"
Can you give an example of happy music written in a minor key?  I can't seem to think of one right now.

Bach, quite a few choral selections.  The motif of eighth-sixteenth-sixteenth, repeated, is a "happy rhythm", and was understood that way by the audience of the time.

There are Renaissance modal settings of the same texts (masses, for instance), some of which have a major third and some a minor third over the tonic.  The mode was not changed with the text.

There are quite a few minor key (or minor-ish modal) settings of "Alleluia" in many vocal works.

Brian

Our supreme responsibility is the moral obligation to be intelligent. -- Oliver L. Reiser
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: