Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088268 Posts in 71901 Topics- by 19302 Members - Latest Member: Westport281
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: community jazz bands  (Read 1411 times)
larrydk

View Profile
« on: Apr 16, 2006, 11:14AM »

I've seen the post listing ommunity bands all over the world, any suggestions on getting involved with a community jazz band or group so I can start playing with a group again?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2006, 12:47PM »

They are all over the place.

I know of three here in New Hampshire.   Start with the community [concert] bands.  Many will have members who play in community jazz bands.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Steve McGovern

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2006, 01:01PM »

I know of a few in my area, but membership is tightly controlled.  I guess the "anyone with a pulse" attitude prevalent in community concert bands just doesn't work in jazz.

Another option is Adult Education.  One of the cities near me offers an evening course called "Play in a Big Band", or something similar.

Talk to some high school band directors.  They are usually clued in pretty well with this sort of thing.
Orestes
Bone Vivant

"Bone Vivant"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2006, 03:47PM »

Quote from: "BGuttman"
They are all over the place.

I know of three here in New Hampshire.   Start with the community [concert] bands.  Many will have members who play in community jazz bands.

Our community band has a subsidiary, as it were, which is a big band configuration. The members of the community band are also members of the jazz band if they so wish. It works out quite well, I think, we don't have to compete for talent and interest. Several of the surrounding communities have similar arrangements.  By all means check out the community bands.

Galen McQuarrie

"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win.  Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins. This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins."  Dizzy Gillespie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: