Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088396 Posts in 71916 Topics- by 19305 Members - Latest Member: kylemh
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Alto solos?  (Read 2468 times)
Precious
Omar the Tent Maker

View Profile
« on: Apr 24, 2006, 07:40AM »

I'm trying to gear up for a fall audition to the local symphony, and I want to provide pieces for both tenor and alto.  

I've got my tenor stuff all picked out, and I'm working on it, but I'm at a loss for alto stuff.

I have the Rochut book 1, and was thinking of using one of those as part of my "alto audition" but I'd also like a solo of some sort.

Suggestions of what I should buy?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!
Elkhart 88H

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2006, 08:03AM »

Hi Precious,

I recommend the Albrechtsberger concerto.  If you'd like to listen to it before you buy, there's a fine performance by Alain Trudel on his "Trombone Concertos" CD on Naxos.  To hear a sample, click on http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000060CU/sr=1-3/qid=1145890716/ref=sr_1_3/102-0629840-6142521?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=music.  The first three tracks are the samples of the Albrechtsberger concerto.  The sheet music is pretty easy to find online -- last time I checked, Hickeys had it in stock.

I fell in love with this work when I was a sophomore in high school and heard a broadcast performance of it by Allen Chase, the trombone professor at the University of Wisconsin.  I worked up the technique to play it by the time I was a high-school senior and performed it on my 88H.

Don Bilger
Second Trombone, Southern Great Lakes Symphony (may it rest in peace)
Second Trombone, Spectrum Orchestra
"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa
puma

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2006, 08:25AM »

Bob Kiehle compiled a nice list of alto literature here. I second the Albrechtsberger and would also recommend the Wagenseil.
Dennis K.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2006, 08:34AM »

And a third -
Wagensiel and Albrechtsberger are the two standard alto solos for auditions.
For Excerpts:
Schumann 3rd Symphony
Mozart Requiem (1st tbn)
Haydn Creation (1st tbn)

Some other fun alto stuff:
 - Alteba Trio - by Hidas - for alto, tenor and bass tbns.
 - Suite for alto trombone and string 4-tet - by Corado Saglietti
 - Mozart horn concerti (the ones in Eb) fit quite nicely on alto
Mahler427

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2006, 12:22PM »

You may also want to take a look that the oboe concerti of Tomaso Albinoni. These pieces lie rather well on the alto one you take them down an octave and put them in alto clef. Mark Lawrence has transcribed one, I believe it is the Concerto in B Flat, and it is currently commercially available. I have found many of the other Concerti to be among my favorites,  however, the Lawrence transcription is a great place to begin.

Best of luck on your audition!

-jf

"An easy solo played well is musical and a credit, but a difficult solo played poorly is miserable and unintelligent."  - Herbert L. Clarke
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2006, 07:34PM »

I like the Mozart Horn concerti #2, 3, and 4 (don't remember the Köchel numbers for them.

I also played a movement from Haydn Concerto #2 arranged for Horn and Band on my Alto with the Hollis Band.

There is also a Lepold Mozart concerto that is 3 movements extracted from a Divertimento.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Stan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2006, 07:39AM »

This is going to sound weird, but why are you going to bring an alto to an audition?  Moreover, why would you play the Albrechtsberger Concerto?  You’ll NEVER have to play that kind of lit while actually sitting in the orchestra, so it seems odd to audition with it.  I’d say that if you absolutely had to play alto for the audition, some standard (and non standard) alto excerpts might be more appropriate.  After all, we don’t ever get to play alto as a classical soloist whilst actually sitting in the section!  Excerpts like the solo from Thomas’ Hamlet, Fux’s Antiphon from Alma redemptoris Mater, the Rhenish, Brahms 1, Beethoven 5…those are the kinds of things you’ll have to play in an orchestra.  NONE of them approaches the sound and techniques useful for the Albrechtsberger.  However, each of them is difficult and is a good gauge of one’s ability to play alto orchestrally.

Good luck,
Stan
Precious
Omar the Tent Maker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2006, 07:45PM »

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll let you know how it goes!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: