Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1072812 Posts in 71143 Topics- by 18855 Members - Latest Member: Disco
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentMouthpieces(Moderators: BGuttman, Doug Elliott) Wich mouthpiece are you playing with your Olds Ambassador tb
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wich mouthpiece are you playing with your Olds Ambassador tb  (Read 1108 times)
cooljazz

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2006, 08:16AM »

HI,

I was intresting  Amazed to know with a Olds Ambassador trombonne wich mouthpiece you found was matching better ?  i think, but im not sure  Confused  the OLds Amb have a small bore.

Also small taper?

Thanks for your futur answer  Hi
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 01:25PM »

Hi Cooljazz, and welcome to the Forum!

The answer to your question is a qualified "it depends".

Classic Olds Ambassadors (from the 1940's through the 1960's) had a slightly smaller than normal shank so sometimes a normal Bach mouthpiece made the horn a tad flat.  This can be fixed very easily by a competent tech.

Most Ambassadors shipped with an Olds 3 mouthpiece, which is about the same size as a Bach 12C, or maybe a Bach 12 (a little deeper).  

I used to play a LA Olds Ambassador with F as a small Bass Trombone and used a Bach 4C.  In fact, I used the 4C with it when I moved on to a larger trombone and was playing 4G mouthpieces (I still used the Ambassador for marching).

The right mouthpiece is not only dependant on the horn, but on you as well.  I have seen anything from a Bach 15E to a Bach 4C (or equivalent) used on the Ambassador.

I never played an Ambassador that was newer than 1970, so I can't comment on either the Shenkelaars Olds, the current Olds, or the later Reynolds/Olds Olds.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Sporto

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 03:44PM »

I use a Bach 7C with the shank sanded down so it goes in far enough

ORY LIVES

Uptown Rhythm Makers
www.facebook.com/URMjazz
cooljazz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 07:58AM »

HI, Thanks for your answers.

I got a Olds 3, i didn't know it was similar as a Bach 12, i thought it was larger.

With the serial number where can i find when it was made?

tnks
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 02:36PM »

This site (http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds.htm) is geared mainly to Olds trumpets, but there is a lot of info on trombones.  Also, serial numbers are in the same series for trumpets and trombones, so if you use the serial number list referred to on the site you can find the age of your trombone.

Hope this helps.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
virry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 07:13AM »

I got a Olds 3, i didn't know it was similar as a Bach 12, i thought it was larger.

Agree. I have an Olds 3, I feel it as Bach 6 1/2 or 7. Its rim is quite flat, since some people might feel as small diameter.

I have a recording made in 1962, it's shank is smaller than current mpcs like Bach or Schilke, therefore it needs to grind to fit its diameter if those mpcs are used for Olds.

I tried Tiltz 12C equivalent to Bach 12C and Olds 12C equivalent to Bach 14C?, Olds 12C is fit to the recording for me. IMHO, Olds mpc's weight is concentrate to its rim, but bach concentrates to its throat. Olds is a "old" horn, therefore weight emphasis toword rim type is good for it. Extreamly, Bach Megatone type is not fit to the horn at all. (Current it fits to Bach horn well)

Virry@Furison Jazz Orchestra

Please, correct my English mistakes!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: