Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1089078 Posts in 71996 Topics- by 19326 Members - Latest Member: analyssalovesmusic4
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Conn 88H  (Read 9987 times)
atticus630
Anthony Vine

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2006, 07:07PM »

This weekend I am going to Volkweins in Pitt. to try out some trombones. I am going to end up buying one so I can have one for college here in a year or so. I have been looking around and reading reviews, and I am looking at a Conn.

Before I go ahead and buy a Conn, I was wondering if anyone had some advice or specifications I should look in to. I am not planning to spend the extra 1000 for the CL rotor, unfortunately. I am leaning towards 88HY-O. I really enjoy the open wrap and I am thinking about getting a large bore because I have been mostly playing in a symphonic setting. I am not sure what type of brass I should get the bell but if someone could help me out with some suggestions for what colleges like to hear tone wise and how the trombone bell will render that.

So if anyone has a Conn or has experience with this, please help me out.

Thanks
Anthony

Ohio State University Trombone Studio [2011]
ParLawGod
The Man Who Doesn't Need a Title

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 07:14PM »

Just out of curiosity, what do you play on now?

If you do decide that you really want a Conn (I would try out other horns too) try out as many of the same model as you can.  Sometimes there will be a "gem" in the batch and that's the one you'll surely want.

Search around for some tips on testing out horns - do a search here at the forum, or maybe someone will chime in.
rtsiggers

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 07:15PM »

I love my conn 88h. It's just the plain jane traditional wrap with a red brass bell. IMHO I think you should buy the horn that works best for you and not worry about what you think a college will want from you. Also, I think that if I bought another conn it would deffinately have an open wrap. I hope this helps you and good luck!

Siggy
tboner4me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 11:35PM »

If you like the sound of the 88H, another horn to try would be the Kanstul 1588/1688.   They are very versatile horns - like an 88H but even better, I think.   I like my 1688 so much I already sold my 88H,  and my Getzen 3047 is going next.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein
griffinben

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 08:12AM »

Hey man, if you KNOW you want the sound of the 88H, just play every 88H you can get your hands on at the store...88H, 88HT, 88HT-O, 88H-CL, whatever...all that matters is if the things blows good!  

I recently tried out a ton of 88's at Dillon's (about a year ago) and wound up loving the one with the trad wrap, regular bell, no 'bells' or whistles.  Go figure.

So don't go in with any preconceived notions, just a cler idea in your head of the sound you want and find one that can do that while feeling good!

-Ben
brucejackson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 08:31AM »

Quote from: "atticus630"
This weekend I am going to Volkweins in Pitt. to try out some trombones. I am going to end up buying one so I can have one for college here in a year or so. I have been looking around and reading reviews, and I am looking at a Conn.

I have a plain 88H.  In my case I walked into a music store planning on buying a Bach 42B.  The store had 3 42Bs and 3 88Hs.  I spent all day playing all 6 horns and ended up with one of the 88Hs.

The rose brass bell is the standard one.  Other trombone players have told me the thin rose brass bell has a sound more like the Elkhart 88H trombones so I'd like to try some of them out one day.

Were I you I'd try as many horns as possible; even other brands and models.  Musical instruments are not something to buy based on reviews.  Every trombone player is different and what works for one trombone player might not for the next.

Next to being witty yourself, the best thing is to quote another's wit
--Christian N. Bovee
ivanandrade

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 09:31AM »

Hi,
since you are from Ohio why don't you go to the Conn Factory in EastLake OH?? About 30 minutes from Cleveland and 2 hours 40 minutes from Pittsburgh.

I bet they have more trombones available than Volkweins!!! when you find one you really like, you can have the company to send it (the exact trombone) to the store of your choice. Conn does not sell trombones directly to the customers, they do it through a dealer.

I think that is the best way, since you are relatively close to the factory!!!

Have a good day!!
atticus630
Anthony Vine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 12:25PM »

Quote from: "ParLawGod"
Just out of curiosity, what do you play on now?

If you do decide that you really want a Conn (I would try out other horns too) try out as many of the same model as you can.  Sometimes there will be a "gem" in the batch and that's the one you'll surely want.

Search around for some tips on testing out horns - do a search here at the forum, or maybe someone will chime in.

I currently dont actually own a trombone, I just borrow one from my high school. It is a Conn Artist Symphony. It has a rose brass bell and is a closed wrap.

Ohio State University Trombone Studio [2011]
thegame_45

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 03:45PM »

I am trying to sell my Conn 88h, just because I have an extra horn and need a little money.

Its rose colored, closed wrap, with Artist Symphony USA on the bell. Its in good working order, just the usual wear and tear, but the horn sounds really nice, and slide is in good order.
AzNooB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 03:49PM »

me too; mine is a bit older though

pm me

check pics at http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/XeComChayNhanh/
ivanandrade

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 08:50AM »

Quote from: "AzNooB"

pm me

is it an elkhart conn??
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 07:19PM »

Quote from: "ivanandrade"
Quote from: "AzNooB"

pm me

is it an elkhart conn??

I think this is the horn that AzNooB's relatives found in a yard sale.  It looks like an Elkie, but I guess AzNooB is under too much peer pressure to have an open wrap and maybe the word "Bach" on the bell to appreciate a good find (even if it probably needs a little attention by a good tech).

I'm sorry that AzNooB is dumping the Elkie in favor of whatever he/she has.  I personally think it's the wrong choice, but what do I know... :shuffle:

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Dan H.
He doesn't know how to put this, but he's kind of a big deal

"Conquer the devils with a little thing called love"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 07:32PM »

Here here Bruce!

- Daniel Havranek
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 08:42PM »

Personally... I don't like conns. I don't get along with the rose/gold brass very well.  I don't like rosebrass on bachs or kings either.

I haven't had the opportunity to try a conn with a yellow brass bell.

David Sullivan
Bass Trombone - Livingston Symphony Orchestra
Horns: Bach 39, King 3B, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612RII
MPCS: Faxx 7C, Hammond 11ML, Laskey 59MD, Laskey 85MD.
Elkhart 88H

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 07:55PM »

If it's an Elkhart Conn, it's a very late one.  Most of the Elkhart 88H's I've seen, including mine from 1970, have wide ferrules in the F-attachment tubing and between the valve knuckle and the gooseneck.  This horn has the narrow ferrules that Conn used during the Abilene years.

The Abilene Conns were variable, but the best of them played very well indeed.  If I were in AzNooB's shoes, I'd be inclined to keep that 88H and spend some time learning how to get the most out of it.  With a little TLC from a good technician, that horn could be a gem.

Don Bilger
Second Trombone, Southern Great Lakes Symphony (may it rest in peace)
Second Trombone, Spectrum Orchestra
"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa
AzNooB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 11:57AM »

I like my Getzen better than my Conn...the differences are subtle, but I believe I play better on the Getzen. The biggest difference is just the feel of the horn (more open). The problem is that maybe the Getzen is too open? I'm not quite used to it yet. Anyway, the Getzen is in the shop for a tune up and clean, so I'm playing on the Conn. It's really hard to say which horn I like better. The Conn gives me much better response in the high register, but the closed wrap and rotor give me a more compact sound. I don't know, it's just a preference thing. The Conn doesn't quite do what I want it to; I think the Getzen will allow me to grow more as a player.

Don't get me wrong; I love my Conn to death, but I have to sell it to pay for my Getzen. I wish I didn't have to sell it. I chose Conn over Bach because I liked the feel of the Conn more. If I had the money, I would do a Greenhoe conversion or something, but high school students don't have those kinds of luxuries.

I think this is the horn that AzNooB's relatives found in a yard sale. It looks like an Elkie, but I guess AzNooB is under too much peer pressure to have an open wrap and maybe the word "Bach" on the bell to appreciate a good find (even if it probably needs a little attention by a good tech).

I'm sorry that AzNooB is dumping the Elkie in favor of whatever he/she has. I personally think it's the wrong choice, but what do I know... :shuffle:

I happened to buy this horn used from someone who left it in their closet for years. The horn is now in better condition than it was when I got it.
courtois

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 01:21PM »

I will also try a Conn 88h on Thursday.
They will probably have all different slides, bells, leadpipes, wraps, valves in the shop.
As I look for a rather dark sounding horn, I am interested in the 0.547/0.562 dual bore slide and perhaps  the 9" bell (I think it is no longer produced, but they should have one in rose brass).
What do you think of the combination ?The big slide and perhaps the bell could make high range a little more strenuos, but I have in general a really good and easy high range, so it should not be the problem. Otherwise, I have a  bright tone , for my taste for a symphony orchestra it is brighter than I want it to be.
Even with a big mouthpiece- 2G, even when working with more air, diaphragm, a lot of lipp mass in the mouthpiece, open jaws, using the position of a brassy sounding contra BB for the upper partials (as you are then more open and have more lipp mass inside ) etc. I suppose I push too much air though the instrument.
So the dual slide could be the solution ?
I know a professional who plays a Besson with this type of dual slide and a sterling silver bell to reduce his brightness.
And for a Brahms symphony, Bolero etc. I could still use the Courtois 360 (0.525).
Maybe the dual bore Conn would be too big for brass quintet or trombone quartet (what I want to play again soon), but for this, I could also use the Courtois with for example Bach 2 mouthpiece... (that it the biggest what I have seen comparing Bach, Yamaha, Wick)
havardsvendsen

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 09:35AM »

I am not a Conn player myself, but I have tried some 88s. For me, the standard rose brass bell sounds nasty at loud dynamics, and the wider slide makes the higher range harder. The best 88 I have tried had standard open wrap, standard slide and yellow brass bell. I found the yellow bell adding solidness to the sound, being more even both in the dynamic and tonal range. I know the yellow bell is not very traditional "Connish" but in my opinion it worked best.

Håvard Svendsen
KingHandsDown

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 05:05PM »

Didn't read through what everybody else put, but I just got an 88H and i couldn't love it more. The range is amazing, the tone is to die for, and it's a hell of a lot lighter then my 50B30. I give it a two thumbs up.

JacobEdwards91

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 06:14PM »

I have a standard Conn 88H with the rose brass bell, and I love it.  The high range is very smooth sounding, and the low range, if anything, is better than the high.

St. Louis Symphony Youth O
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: