Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

949855 Posts in 62848 Topics- by 15168 Members - Latest Member: zachjacobs
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningPedagogy(Moderators: JP, Doug Elliott) New lip slurs book by Dr. Brad Edwards
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New lip slurs book by Dr. Brad Edwards  (Read 2846 times)
Dan Hine

View Profile WWW
« on: May 06, 2006, 11:31AM »

I was a student of Dr. Edwards at USC (Carolina) for a few years and have an "early edition" of this book.  It's a great resource and has gotten some wonderful reviews.  Check out what the Pro's are saying:

http://bonezone.org/bio/publications.htm

- Dan Hine

David Schwartz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2006, 01:50PM »

Lip Slurs: Progressive Exercises for the Development of Tone and Technique[/i] is a great resource!  It is full of concise guidance and pleasant exercises which will develop not just tone and technique, but rhythm and intonation as well.  Dr. Edwards' instructions are succinct and well placed.

Dr. Edwards likes to encourage trombonists to play simple melodies, and he brings that point of view to his slurs.  The book has, in its 84 pages, (1) lots of  slow slurs, (2) lots of fast slurs, and (3) twenty pleasant melodies that can be played without tonguing!  It also has suggested routines suggested at six levels of difficulty.

Pedagogy has come a long way since my teacher, John Coffey, implored his students, "Keep up with the blow, kid," or "Tongue and blow."   Brad Edwards' new book is really one up on the legato style teachers and the Caruso and Stamp disciples.  His arpeggiated and melodic slur exercises, with his articulate instructions, give us interesting material to practice.

At $16, the book is a bargain, too.

I found my copy at Hickey's, where it's item 58960.

David

David A. Schwartz, Belmont, Massachusetts
Bordogni and Breakfast Website
mmitchell

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2006, 05:31AM »

I just got Dr. Edwards book a week or so ago. I have been playing out of it everyday and i like what i have played. The intro to the book has a very good guide to level of slurs in the book. I have also played Edwards Blue Wolf which is a solo trombone comp. Edwards bonezone is a nice trombone site with lots of good tips!
DWood86

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2006, 08:16AM »

I love Dr Edwards book. I used it for 30 minutes the first time, and already I felt a HUGE improvement. It hits on the areas that a lot of trombonists tend to overlook for a while. Its one thing to have chops, but good air flow and musicality is another thing.

Heaven isnt too far away, get closer to it everyday....
evan51
Guardian of the Sacred Nebulizer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2006, 02:39PM »

I'll add my voice to those singing his praises---his exercises are easy to play and they work! What more can you say?

Go Brad!
Go Dan!
Go Team!

One life---a little gleam of time between two Eternities.---Thomas Carlyle
TimS

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2006, 12:54PM »

I picked up this book about a month ago and have been practicing out of it fairly extensively almost everyday since then.  I highly recommend it - I feel like my level of control and smoothness has improved dramatically in a short time.  I find his comments before each exercise to be very helpful in focusing myself.

Tim Shneier
Boston-area freelancer
evan51
Guardian of the Sacred Nebulizer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2006, 02:21PM »

Quote from: "Dan Hine"
I was a student of Dr. Edwards at USC (Carolina) for a few years and have an "early edition" of this book.  It's a great resource and has gotten some wonderful reviews.  Check out what the Pro's are saying:

http://bonezone.org/bio/publications.htm

- Dan Hine

Brad's entire website is very cool---especially the section on trombone tips. You can find less comprehensive versions of his book there.

Brad's exercises are simple, but really work. I've substituted his drills for the Remington Warm-Ups and am quite satisfied with the results.

The Bone Zone

One life---a little gleam of time between two Eternities.---Thomas Carlyle
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: