Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1096403 Posts in 72513 Topics- by 19533 Members - Latest Member: marymsmith
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I need horn advise  (Read 1367 times)
Bassboneman_99687

View Profile
« on: Aug 27, 2006, 06:58PM »

well as a senior in high school i needed a better trombone for college(which i will be a classical music major) and i fould a couple descent getzen trombone for sale it pretty good prices a 3062AFR which is a 562/578 bore red bell dual thyer valves red bell for 1990 and a getzen with the same specs but with roators valves for 1500 which should i go with, and money is not the issue i need to know which will play better thanks for the advise

trombone is not a hobby its a lifestyle
trombones O' mayhem

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2006, 07:00PM »

try them out.

"Think product, not methodology." -Arnold Jacobs
 B.M. in Music Education & Applied Music, and Performer's Certificate, Eastman School of Music, '13
Tombonist

"kfff..."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2006, 07:28PM »

I too, would have to say try them out. Which ever you like is more, get it.(If you have to get one of those. Something else mgith be what's right for you.) But as for me, I would say get the one with dual thayer valves.  I've tried out both kinds and liked them better.

Tombonist
"I need a weapon."  Master Chief
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2006, 07:36PM »

Quote from: "Bassboneman_99687"
well as a senior in high school i needed a better trombone for college(which i will be a classical music major) and i fould a couple descent getzen trombone for sale it pretty good prices a 3062AFR which is a 562/578 bore red bell dual thyer valves red bell for 1990 and a getzen with the same specs but with roators valves for 1500 which should i go with, and money is not the issue i need to know which will play better thanks for the advise

Am I safe in assuming you plan to major in Bass trombone?  If so, there are lots of excellent instruments that would be good for you through college.  You are going to have to make a big decision now, which will color your playing career.  You will want a double valve bass with either dependant or independant valves.  Both work; there are excellent players using each.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Having that out of the way, you next need to decide on whether you need/want Axial (Thayer) valves or other valves.  Axials require more manintenance and oil.  They are much more free-blowing, but this can be a disadvantage to some.  

The real way to find out is to try playing the different horns.  You should be able to weed out the ones that are not your style pretty quickly.  After that, you will probably learn to adjust to whatever you buy.

Oh, and if you plan to just major in Trombone, don't waste your money on a Bass; get a good symphonic tenor with F and keep whatever you are playing now for Marching Band.

Good luck.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Jeff Smith

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2006, 06:48AM »

The 3062AF will tend to work better in orchestral scenes, because of the freer blowing valves and the dual bore slide.

The 1052 will work great in a big band, because it has a single bore slide, and conventional valves.

I'm not saying these horns are area specific, but this is their tendencies.

If you're a bass trombone performance major, go with the 3062AF. Drop the extra money and pick up the other bell, and check into some Edwards leadpipes. Maybe a sterling silver pipe for playing in a big band? Also, check out the tuning slides. Maybe you want a rose brass tuning slide for warmth?

The 3062 has more options, and thus, it can grow with you.

(customized) Getzen 3062AF - custom Greg Black
(customized) Getzen 1062FD - Greg Black 1.5G
David Gross

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2006, 01:17PM »

I have an axial flow valve on my tenor. I love how the valve plays but there are times when I wonder if I made the right choice. The valve is heavy and there are times when my left arm gets so tired I can't hold the horn up. A bass with two Thayers will be much heavier than my tenor.

As I said, I love how the valve plays - you just have to think about whether it is worth the extra weight to you.

Dave

Money talks. Mine says "Bye bye!"
Jeff Smith

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2006, 01:26PM »

I find that axial valves also require more air, but I think it's a good thing.

Rounds out the tone a bit. Also helps it hold together better, IMO.

tromboneboy023

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2006, 12:23PM »

yes. having to produce more air, i dont think should bee too much of a problem. unless you have a serious medical problem. after a few days on a bigger horn (sometimes a bit more) most people begin to produce more air. as for the bell, it should be said that generally you should get a rose bell for a darker sound, yellow for more perky sound, or silver for more mellow. correct me anyone if you disagree.

how do you make a t-bone sound like a french horn? put your hand in the bell and play wrong notes
Jean-François

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 31, 2006, 07:28AM »

Both are nice sounding horn...

I play a Getzen 1062fdr (red brass bell, dual bore slide, standard dependant rotors bass trombone).

Getzen's are a good choice for your money but you need to be careful with the standard rotor version. They are quite fragile and I find them to require more maintenance than my orther trombones need. A good point for the standard rotors is that it is lighter than the Thayer valve model. I find the dual Thayer system adds a lot more weight to the bell section and I personnaly don't like the balance of the trombone this way. You need to find out yourself wich one you prefer. I had my standard rotor version a little modified... to make the triggers more comfortable to play...  The horn plays more than fine... Best bang for the bucks...

Jean-François
Music Education

"We can't change anything to the modes of music without endangering the stability of the state." Plato
Bassboneman_99687

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2006, 08:32PM »

thanks for the advise but right now i have a dual trigger bass trombone a yamaha 612 and i find it very constricting(it robbes me of the double petal B flat :( ) sorry for not stateing in my first post so i was looking for the freer air flow. so thats the main reason i need a new horn because when i played on a better i hit that note easy. and 1 more thing being in alaska i dont have to march  Idea!

trombone is not a hobby its a lifestyle
Jeff Smith

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2006, 12:26PM »

and 1 more thing being in alaska i dont have to march

Lucky you.

Oh how I envy you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: