Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

950103 Posts in 62852 Topics- by 15181 Members - Latest Member: peaceonearth.mcc
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: King 1506 - what is it?  (Read 2702 times)
BoneCall

View Profile
« on: Oct 14, 2006, 01:29AM »

I just won a silver King 1506 in fairly good condition for about 350 bucks. What is a 1506  precisely? DJ? Anybody? How do they rate?
maxpremium

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2006, 04:23AM »

Tempo...great intermediate horn.  I have a Tempo bell matched up to a 2B slide, and it is dynamite...awesome projection if you want a little edge to your sound.

Max

The trombone when uncoiled, is exactly the same length as the Human Large Intestine.
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2006, 07:28PM »

1306   is   nickle    //500  /with  a  curvy brace   like  
 3b  /8 in bell  
maybe  15is  silver plated  model
-----the  tuning  slide is  slightly  narrower  than  a  3b
receiver  size   is  3b
the   slide  has  brass outers   and chromed  brass inners
=====
havent   seen  many  1506  --so it  could be  a 3b in disguise  ???????

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2006, 08:02PM »

Yup, curved-brace Tempo.  As far as I know, the only real difference between it and the pro-grade Kings is that the outer slides are brass instead of nickel silver.

Like the chicken says:
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."
BoneCall

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2006, 06:16AM »

havent seen many 1506 --so it could be a 3b in disguise ???????

Yup, curved-brace Tempo. As far as I know, the only real difference between it and the pro-grade Kings is that the outer slides are brass instead of nickel silver.

Well I thought it might make a good alternative to my 1963 brass 3b when the acoustic conditions are particularily stinky. I'm really getting tired of not hearing myself.

I can't for the life of me understand how the guys with the bigger darker horns survive in the real cruel world out there if they want to spend the night really blowing. How do you fill the VFW hall with muscular bebop for 4 hours when you're fighting a tub that has a larger bore than the sewer system?  

So make it easy on yoursel-el-el-el-elf... (old pop tune)
BoneCall

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2006, 04:19AM »

Well the 1506 arrived today from Switzerland and is in very good conditon. :)  My first impression is that it is the same weight as a 3B and the same physical size its just that the bore is slightly smaller (.500).  Doesn't have the richness in sound of the 3B but is slightly more flexible and might be just the thing for a dogfight in less than ideal conditions. Even the slide is in good shape.

Now the mix and match fun begins (sigh). I hate equipment changes, it takes my eye off the ball. But at worst I have a spare slide to take with me on the road. Can anyone sell me one of those wooden slide boxes?
Bamadawg

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2006, 06:02AM »

Jerry... Doc Upchurch sells his slide boxes for $15 USD + shipping. I bet someone that has one could give you the dimensions if you know someone that could cut the lumber and assemble it for you. I think Doc uses a light wood, maybe Aspen for his boxes. I let the one I owned go with the custom slide Eric Edwards built for me when I sold it. They sure do make shipping slides easy... esp knowing they are safe/secure inside from the shipping company/Postal Office.

Nate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: