Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097092 Posts in 72568 Topics- by 19545 Members - Latest Member: cepatinog
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Practicing Assistance  (Read 2355 times)
12thposition

View Profile
« on: Nov 01, 2006, 02:05PM »

Hi

I looking for some help and guidence and I hope I've come to the right place to find it. I've taken sometime off playing, and would like to get right back into it again. I'm looking to increase my range and my endurance. Can anyone help me with a few techniques, warm ups or suggestions on material to practice?

I'm also looking for books, so if you know anyone knows anything let me know.

Julio  

Music...Washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
David Gross

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2006, 04:04AM »

Hi there from the "other" Sudbury! Welcome to the Forum.

I think the "Just For Beginners and Returning Trombonists" section would be perfect for this question.

There are lots of book suggestions floating around. Some good choices would be Arban's Method for trombone (the new one edited by Alessi is supposed to be worth the extra money it costs), "Mellodious Etudes" book 1 edited by Rochut, and the Remington Warmups.

You can order these at your local music store or you can get them on the Internet at http://www.hickeys.com

One of the best pieces of advice you might get is don't wait too long to find a private trombone teacher.

Dave

Money talks. Mine says "Bye bye!"
12thposition

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2006, 07:46AM »

Thanks for the reply. I auctually just finised a performance program at Cambrian College here, and I've had lessons with a teacher at the university for the last 3 years. I've just come off a break to make some cash and I'm looking for somethings to get myself going for the upcoming semester.

Thanks again for the advice.

Julio  Good!

KirkL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2006, 12:38PM »

I used to carry a satchel with all kinds of books; Rochut, Kopprasch, Blazhevich, Remmington, Arbans, etc. Also in the satchel were any solos I was working on, duets, orchestral excerpts and so forth. As I practiced I'd put one book away and get out the next and so on. A lot of wasted time and a lot to carry around. Then I got an idea. I took a little from each book I was working out of and copied it. I also made copies of solos, duets and so forth that I was working on and put the in clear, 3 ring sheet covers and placed everything in a 3 ring binder. Now all my practice sessions are more structured. The binder is in order as to warm-ups, lip slurs and flexibility, range, tonguing, recreational exercises like Arbans and Rochut, solos and duets, Bach Cello Suites and finally excerpts. When I get tired of an exercise, I take it out of the sheet cover and replace it with a new one. It has certainly made a huge difference in my desire to practice and certainly my ability. Less to carry, more time to practice and so much more structured.
I've even put famous quotes from other musicians on some pages to remind me what I'm doing, how to do it and why. This has done wonders for me.

I now make a 3 ring binder a requirement for all my students. I make copies for them and structure their lessons around what is contained in the binder. It makes their practice sessions more structured. I hear the difference in their playing and I see the difference in their desire to learn and improve.

Good luck.

Kirk L

There is nothing I'd rather do than play trombone!
Dave Tatro
The Python's Python

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2006, 03:43PM »

Kirk,

That binder idea sounds great. I'm going to try that out as a way to not only lighten the load but structure my practice time. Thanks for the suggestion!

Dave

(It's not just the beginners that learn something here.)

"He also inevitably discovered the similarities between glass doors and forcefields."- marchingknight
12thposition

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2006, 05:19PM »

Thanks Kirk, some grade A information!   Good!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: