Loans and Financial Aid
(1/8) > >>
:
I've heard of people and read comments on this site about how some of these NY schools can throw peopel into enormous debt. I know of a guy in town who won a Job with the Symphony who said his debt was rediculous after his studies in NY. And I've also heard this from other people and I think Colin Williams mentioned this as well.

I got into the Manhattan School of Music and I think I'm leaning towards it over another school I got into. I'm am still awaiting my financial aid packet because of a mis understanding and my file remains incomplete. So I'm sure that won't be too helpful in getting lots of cash. Attendance costs this yr will be almsot 40k!
I'll have to get a crapload of free money in order for me to attend. I'm sure I'll have to pull loans in order to go there because I can get plenty of cash and still be left with about 20 grand to pay.

I was just wondering how people in the forum dealt with these amazing financial problems from schols with amazing costs. The other school I got into is throwing allt ypes of free money at me. I'm ina pretty odd situation here. I may not be able see my financial aid letter before my decision has to be made to go to the other school I got into. So I might have to decide on goign to MSM not knowing my financial situation

My family demonstrates plenty of need....more than most.
Dan Hine:
quote:The other school I got into is throwing allt ypes of free money at me. I'm ina pretty odd situation here.  James,

It's not that odd and many people go through this every year.  What is the other school that you are considering?  Have you been to both and what were your impressions about each institution?  The MSM has an excellent faculty but so do MANY other schools that get often get overlooked.  Ultimately you have to pick the best school for you regardless of cost.  Don't make your choise based just on a name or cost.  Go where you'll be happy.
:
Hey Dan.

Thanks for your note.

The other schol is SMU whitch is great. John Kitzman will be my teacher if i decide to go there. That's got a good track record of trombonsits.

As far as name, that really doesn't mean much in the situation but money is. I mean, I'm willing to pay more for a school I want to go to the most...but if the help isn't atleast decent, I couldn;t say I would take the risk.
:
Loans are an unfortunate, yet pretty much neccessary part of conservatory life. Very, very few people go through conservatory without having significant loans. (trombone unfortunately isn't as glamorous as violin, so we all get less of the available scholarship money.)

MSM is kinda stingy with money these days, since they just built a (very, very nice) new residence hall. You have to decide for yourself whether the advantages of living in New York City outweigh the debt you're going into.

There are some great things about living in new york. You've got the NY philharmonic right there, always guaranteed to hear some phenominal trombone playing. Also, there's Carnegie hall, which has the best orchestras in the world coming through it every year. Furthermore, the teachers at all the new york schools are first-rate. Either David Finlayson or Dr. Per Brevig at MSM are both fantastic teachers (I study with Dr. Brevig at Juilliard).

Then again, SMU seems to be a really hot school these days. A lot of really fine players are coming out of there, and I hear great things about Mr. Kitzman's teaching. Two guys have gone on from there to do their graduate work at juilliard in the past 3 years, and they're both fantastic players, so Mr. Kitzman must be doing great things with his students down there. Also, it seems that Mr. Kitzman often calls his best upperclassmen students to play with the Dallas symphony, so that could conceivably be a great source of experience down the road if you work really hard.

Either way, it sounds like you're in somewhat of a win-win situation, you have to either choose between some debt (I'm in quite a bit myself, but it's survivable) and conservatory life in the city where it all happens (New York really is the greatest city on earth... no I'm not prejudiced at all...     ) and a real liberal arts college experience at a school which has a proven track record of putting out phenominal players.

Best of luck with whichever you choose!

-Adam Peixotto
Jeff Albert:
If you look at taking a loan as a financial decision, borrowing large amounts of money to study trombone is probably not very wise.  If you borrow $20K a year for four years, you will be 22 years old with a bachelor's degree, $80K worth of debt, and you will have to fight 50 other trombonists for a gig that pays $25K a year.

Consider saving your debt extension for grad school.  If you go to SMU and study with a great teacher for 4 years, while incurring little or no debt, you can then go to MSM for grad school, and only have to borrow half as much money, and you will probably have a better bead on life at that point anyway.

Don't mean to sound all doom and gloom, but we often make financial decisions with our hearts instead of our minds, because that is how we make musical decisions. It would be a shame however to have to hamper your trombone playing with a day job, just to pay off the debt you incurred trying to learn to play the trombone.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page