Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087355 Posts in 72019 Topics- by 19245 Members - Latest Member: Cole Rausch
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformanceThe Healthy Trombonist(Moderator: tbone62) Lip herpes, Do you know how to avoid it?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lip herpes, Do you know how to avoid it?  (Read 7002 times)
Baker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2006, 06:20AM »

and what about Aloe Vera and Siberian Ginseng or Tea Tree oil?
Pacbone13
pacbone13

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2006, 07:17AM »

Ok,  this is a simple answer to give since I have had the same thing for 35 years.  Herpes simplex is a virus that lives in the body and is incurable, but there are things to make it go away FAST!  I've tried them all but there is only one thing that kills the virus:  Acyclovir!  It's a prescription drug under the name: Zovirax. Anything else is merely topical treatment and does nothing to kill the herpes simplex virus.  Unfortunately, the virus lies dormant in the body and cannot be killed while in this state, only when its active.  There are some creams that have acyclovir in them and they work as well.

I have a perscription for 800mg tablets and keep a supply around at all tims.  This is NOT medical advice, merely what I do so make your own decisions.  At the first sign of an outbreak, I take 2 tablets immediately which seems to kill the viral action within about an hour or two and keeps the eruptions from starting. Then, I follow the directions from there on out until it's gone.  If caught early, I can stop a herp from even showing up on my lip.  Nobody even notices it and you can keep right on playing. It's the only way to go in my opinion.

Pacbone13
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2006, 07:23AM by Pacbone13 » Logged

FSU Wind Ensemble and Marching Chiefs, Jekyll Island Big Band, Charlotte County Big Band, Jacksonville Wind Ensemble (guest euphonium), Coastal Symphony of Georgia, Principle North Port Orchestra, Ingroove Big Band, Sophisticated Swing, Jerry White BB
formerfiddler

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 15, 2017, 11:44PM »

At the first tingle tI take one Zostex 125mg. Prescription and pricey but works 9 out of 10 times. No outbreak except if you take iot too late...
EdGrissom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 16, 2017, 03:34AM »

Take a Lysine supplement.   Avoid foods with arginine such as peanuts, chocolate, citrus fruits, etc. 

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound? If a man makes a statement and no woman is there to hear it, is he still wrong?"
Carolus

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 16, 2017, 05:48AM »

I know a player who found help in switching from a metal rim mouthpiece to a lexan rim one.
Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 16, 2017, 08:39AM »

Interesting. A while back I posted a topic about using coins and pencils to get an impression of m/p dimensions without having to put them to your face. This situation is a perfect example of what I've been keen to avoid. Trying other peoples m/ps is always going to be risky.

In my reality..
davdud101
The Kid

"Put yourself in the shoes of the listener."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: Aug 17, 2017, 07:29AM »

Digging up an 11-year-old topic, are we?

Don't practice until you get it right.
Practice until you can't get it wrong.
demaxx1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 17, 2017, 03:02PM »

I  stopped getting them when I quit using $8.00 hookers!
oslide

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Aug 17, 2017, 03:15PM »

Digging up an 11-year-old topic, are we?

For some it's a recurring problem, unfortunately.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 17, 2017, 03:59PM »

My college instrumental pedagogy teacher claimed that if you traded enough mouthpieces around you'd eventually be inoculated against everything.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
davdud101
The Kid

"Put yourself in the shoes of the listener."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: Aug 17, 2017, 05:52PM »

For some it's a recurring problem, unfortunately.

All in jest :) I have strong case pretty often myself every couple of months. Best help for me has been to just wash the mouthpieces and avoid hand-to-mouthpiece and hand-to-mouth contact mostly.

Don't practice until you get it right.
Practice until you can't get it wrong.
SaigonSlide
Stuck in a mid-slide crisis

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sep 11, 2017, 02:27AM »

Like a lot of people that have posted already, I suffered from this for years:  all the way through junior high, high school, and through my performance degree.  I cut down on my playing dramatically after that (I went to medical school) and they stopped.  Now I am 43 and getting back into it again. The stress/trauma of the MPC is enough to cause an outbreak.  And unfortunately, if the virus has taken up residence in one of the nerve roots that supplies your face, then they will occur there.

To prevent any HSV outbreaks I actually use acyclovir prophylactically, 400mg daily now.  This is a serious problem for brass players.  If you are really getting one monthly, and yes they last 10d, you should consider preventing with acyclovir.  Of course you should try to avoid any other stressors as well.

Good luck with it and I feel for you.

"For the night is dark and full of trombones."
EdGrissom

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sep 11, 2017, 04:29AM »

Research Argenine and Lysine.  The virus feeds on Argenine, which is found in chocolate, peanuts, citrus fruits and many other foods.  Lysine supplements will slow down the virus.   I take a small dose of Lysine every day and when a cold sore comes on I take megadoses. 
I also take Valtrex- 2 grams at the very first sensation of an out break and 2 grams exactly 12 hours later.  Even with this, one will occasionally slip past my defenses.  I will add Abreva to the menu and I can usually zap a cold sore within one day.   However, if a cold sore breaks through the skin before I start any treatment I have it for a week or more.  Gotta hit it early. 

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound? If a man makes a statement and no woman is there to hear it, is he still wrong?"
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sep 11, 2017, 08:21AM »

This thread started before we had the Healthy Trombonist board.  I'm moving it there.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
BiggieSmalls

"Visit my studio in Santa Fe, NM!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: Sep 11, 2017, 08:41AM »

Acyclovir and Valtrex definitely work, but for some people like me, it can wreak havoc on the digestive system over time; it's an antibiotic, so it can have negative effects on intestinal flora.

I've found that regulating the lysine/arginine ratio in my diet has been extremely effective in eliminating recurrences of cold sores. Here's a chart of lysine/arginine ratios in a wide range of foods:

https://hsvblog.org/herpes-blog/diet-lifestyle-tips/chart-of-lysine-vs-arginine-in-common-foods/

Foods at the top of the chart have the highest lysine/arginine ratios; those at the bottom have the lowest, and are to be avoided.

For me, nuts, nut butters, and orange juice are definite triggers. Taking L-lysine supplements on an empty stomach reduces the chance of an outbreak when I occasionally indulge in high arginine foods.

"If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise."- William Blake

"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up for work."- Chuck Close
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sep 11, 2017, 10:18AM »

Acyclovir and Valtrex definitely work, but for some people like me, it can wreak havoc on the digestive system over time; it's an antibiotic, so it can have negative effects on intestinal flora.

I've found that regulating the lysine/arginine ratio in my diet has been extremely effective in eliminating recurrences of cold sores. Here's a chart of lysine/arginine ratios in a wide range of foods:

https://hsvblog.org/herpes-blog/diet-lifestyle-tips/chart-of-lysine-vs-arginine-in-common-foods/

Foods at the top of the chart have the highest lysine/arginine ratios; those at the bottom have the lowest, and are to be avoided.

For me, nuts, nut butters, and orange juice are definite triggers. Taking L-lysine supplements on an empty stomach reduces the chance of an outbreak when I occasionally indulge in high arginine foods.

There is an antiviral cream that I have prescribed called Denavir.
I also use a laser Diode or Nd:YAG to lessen the symptoms and shorten the duration of an outbreak as long as its done when the littlest symptoms start.
Also Acyclovir and Valtrex are not antibiotics (antibacterials).  They are antivirals and don't affect the intestinal flora (bacteria).

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
BiggieSmalls

"Visit my studio in Santa Fe, NM!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: Sep 11, 2017, 11:40AM »

Also Acyclovir and Valtrex are not antibiotics (antibacterials).  They are antivirals and don't affect the intestinal flora (bacteria).

Thanks for the correction. When I took acyclovir regularly, my digestion to slow down significantly. Not sure why exactly, but that was a side effect for me.

"If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise."- William Blake

"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up for work."- Chuck Close
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sep 11, 2017, 11:43AM »

Thanks for the correction. I'm not sure why, but when I took acyclovir regularly, my digestion seemed to slow down significantly.
It can monkey with your intestines. Not sure what the pathway is though.

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sep 11, 2017, 12:36PM »

Don't let dirty grammas kiss babies. Problem solved.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: