Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087252 Posts in 72010 Topics- by 19242 Members - Latest Member: simonvd
Jump to:  
Poll
Question: Are you right handed or left handed?
Right
Left
Ambidextrous

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Right or left?  (Read 2635 times)
Flybone
Master of the mundane.

View Profile WWW
« on: Dec 08, 2006, 04:42AM »

A simple question as per the Fast Brain topic in Chit Chat.

Phil Beebe

A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

(Stephen Crane)
BWarner
Formerly Phantom_Boner

"Once more, this time with feeling."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2006, 10:36AM »

couldnt resist, huh?  actually, i was about to set one up like this as soon as i checked the new posts.  guess you beat me to it...  Don't know

Brian Warner
evan51
Guardian of the Sacred Nebulizer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:30AM »

I've broken my arm twice and had to learn to write and throw left-handed, as well as play the euphonium left handed. I also learned to shoot left handed (basketball and guns)and kick left footed (soccer) for reasons not related to injuries. I normally try to switch hands when doing repetetive manual labor tasks (raking, sweeping, shoveling).

I've never tried to play trombone left-handed for any significant period of time, although I know a cruise ship player from Oakland who played left and was (and I don't use this word often) awesome.

The GF and her son are lefties, one of my brothers is lefty forced to be righty by idiot teachers-----I tend to agree with Timothy42B that lefties should not be forced to  do tasks right-handed.

One life---a little gleam of time between two Eternities.---Thomas Carlyle
Brisko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:37AM »

I'm mostly right, though I can write passably with the left.  Also can play euph or tuba lefthanded (actually prefer it).

As a kid I was right handed but left eye dominant, which isn't a big deal except when it comes to throwing a ball or firing a gun.  Now I'm right eye dominant, so it doesn't matter.

"Even a blind hog finds a kernel of corn now and again."
Precious
Omar the Tent Maker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:18PM »

I heard it said once that "Just because you only write with your right hand does not mean you are right handed, it only means you only write with your right hand."

I do almost everything left handed, save trombone playing, running the mouse, and writing.

I've gotten used to using both sides of my brain at the same time because of waaaaaaaay too many Bach Inventions on the piano.

Boo, I think, is going to be a total lefty.  She is sitting next to me with a bowl of peaches, eating them with her left hand.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!
john sandhagen
curmudgeon... semitrained

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:49PM »

I'm definitly right handed...but almost functionally ambidexterous.  Mostly because my coordination isn't to great right handed, so the left doesn't have much catching up to do.

Working with tools my first choice is righty, but often I don't get a choice, so left it is.

John Sandhagen,
the Boneyard

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
BariTrom
worst speller

"why?"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2006, 03:46PM »

Right, that's right :D lol I've been trying to learn how to draw with my left hand too lately :D

Gemma: band geek (w/o the band) cartoonist
*NM AllStateBand: 2007;2008,1st chair
in the mean time...in between time...
DanJaffe
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2006, 08:14PM »

i'm a righty, but with some concentration can fool some into thinking i'm a lefty. back in high school, whenever i had to write on the board, i'd switch hands mid-word, just to see if anyone noticed. they usually didn't, but the rare people that did were usually amused.
tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2006, 08:36PM »

I'm strongly left-handed.  I do everything with my left hand, although I have not bothered to try to switch "right-handed" instruments (like guitar or trombone) to left-handed.  I also don't use my left hand to operate a 10-key calculator---they just aren't set up well for lefties.   I've adapted to most of those sorts of things.  I can use a computer mouse somewhat better with my left hand, but I did, with some persistence, manage to learn to use one well with my right hand.

-- Alea

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life--music and cats."  -- Albert Schweitzer

Alea iacta est...
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2006, 10:53AM »

tbone 62, I've often wondered why people play a guitar or banjo left handed. To me, it seems that each hand performs an equally complicated function, so what would be the advantage of changing?

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
BFW
Pun Gent

"Paronomasiacs Homonymous"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2006, 11:10AM »

tbone 62, I've often wondered why people play a guitar or banjo left handed.

I asked a guitarist friend once, and he was adamant about wanting to use his strong hand for the sound creation.  To him it made perfect sense that a lefty would want the instrument reversed.

Brian

Our supreme responsibility is the moral obligation to be intelligent. -- Oliver L. Reiser
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2006, 12:07PM »

On a guitar or banjo, it seems to me that the strongest hand should be that which presses down on the frets....?

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
BFW
Pun Gent

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2006, 12:42PM »

On a guitar or banjo, it seems to me that the strongest hand should be that which presses down on the frets....?

I might have thought so, too, but as I said, I asked a guitarist, and what he said was different.  He's just one person, but he is a very good guitarist.

I've never heard of a righty guitar player switching the instrument around to play lefty for reasons of strength on the fingerboard, and lefty guitars are quite easy to come by.  If it were somehow an advantage to have your stronger hand on the fingerboard, you'd think at least a few people would do it that way.

Brian

Our supreme responsibility is the moral obligation to be intelligent. -- Oliver L. Reiser
BWarner
Formerly Phantom_Boner

"Once more, this time with feeling."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2006, 03:07PM »

its not about strength... its dexterity.  the fine-motor skills needed for tone prodution outweight the need of movement on the fretboard.  the fretboard is static- you have this chord or that chord and it almost never changes.  the control over the strings is more requiring of minute control.  anyways, strength of fingers is easier to develop than dexterity.

just my 2c.

Brian Warner
tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2006, 05:55PM »

I agree, and I do play guitar, although I am not by any means an "accomplished" guitarist.  It really seems to require a good bit of dexterity with both hands, in my opinion.  I have a lot of guitar music that requires very rapid chord changes, and unless I am playing classical guitar, I generally am strumming the chords with my right hand or picking the strings in a more or less set pattern, with some variation. 

I would think that it might depend a lot upon what style of music you're playing? Also, perhaps it might depend upon the degree of dexterity you can manage with your non-dominant hand? :)  But for me, I just never felt that there would be enough of an advantage to go to the trouble of switching the guitar over, and I've known some wonderfully talented and accomplished guitar players who are left-handed who play many different styles of music on a "right-handed" guitar.

Just wanted to add a couple of comments. 

-- Alea

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life--music and cats."  -- Albert Schweitzer

Alea iacta est...
JacobEdwards91

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2006, 04:34PM »

I write with my right hand, and generally play trombone right-handed (except when goofing around).  That being said, when I played baseball I was able to throw left handed and right handed with equal skill, and I was able to bat left and righthanded.  It was actually quite fun to pitch one inning righthanded, and then switch to throwing lefthanded for the next inning.  It certainly confused the batters...

St. Louis Symphony Youth O
bonnet

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2006, 09:19PM »

Right-handed, but I mouse with either hand - usually left, and type with only my left hand using a left-handed Dvorak (not the composer) keyboard, due to an old car accident catching up to my right arm. I play "normally" though.

I have a friend who can draw with both hands at once, mirror images of the picture, and who can do the same thing writing, i.e., the writing unfolds on the left as a mirror image of the writing on the right, at the same time. It's a trip to watch.

Michelle
Tom Webb

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2006, 09:26PM »

Right-handed, but I mouse with either hand - usually left, and type with only my left hand using a left-handed Dvorak (not the composer) keyboard, due to an old car accident catching up to my right arm. I play "normally" though.

Wow, I've never met anyone who actually uses a Dvorak keyboard.  I've read that they are supposed to be a more efficient design, have you found this to be the case?  Its good that you've found something that helps you use the computer as these contraptions tend to be ergonomically unfriendly don't they?

Anyways, In my case I am very strongly left handed and do almost every thing left handed.  Exceptions are I use the mouse right handed since I've used computers since I was 6 and I had to use a right handed one because they were molded to only fit that hand so I adapted.  I also play trombone and euphonium right handed because I was played bass trombone which doesn't work very well assembled the wrong way, and euphonium  isn't very comfortable to hold is you try to play it with switched hands.
bonnet

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2006, 09:53PM »

Wow, I've never met anyone who actually uses a Dvorak keyboard.  I've read that they are supposed to be a more efficient design, have you found this to be the case?  Its good that you've found something that helps you use the computer as these contraptions tend to be ergonomically unfriendly don't they?

Because I use the keyboard with only one hand, I am actually a little bit slower than with both hands and make more mistakes, some letters are in tough positions - the Q is a big reach with the left pinky. But if you use two hands with Dvorak, I understand it is not too hard to reach upwords of 100 wpm fairly easily.

When I made the switch to left hand Dvorak, the way I did it was to not allow myself to type normally. If I was on a keyboard that I had not done the switch on (to do it, go through Microsoft Accessibility options, you can set up multiple optional keyboard configurations), I just made myself hunt and peck rather than return to my old qwerty keyboard configuration. It took me about 3 months to be easy with it, about a year to be proficient. And - way reduced pain, instantly, a great benefit and motivator to continue with the switch.

The other disadvantage is that unless you have the keyboard diagram in front of you, it is hard to remember where all the weird keys are ... and since the keyboard has the qwerty characters printed on it, I often have to poke around looking for things like ^ or +.

A very funny element is when people see me typing and they just cannot figure out what on earth I am doing with my left hand flying all over the keyboard but the words coming out right on screen. Our tech support guys won't touch my keyboard, they just grant me rights to do everything and then coach me if I need help.

Michelle
BFW
Pun Gent

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2006, 07:13AM »

For the benefit of those who also might have been wondering what the layout looks like.

Standard Dvorak:

Left-handed Dvorak:

Right-handed Dvorak:

Brian

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: