Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

956710 Posts in 63207 Topics- by 15426 Members - Latest Member: conn8hspecial
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformanceTrombonists(Moderators: zemry, Thomas Matta) JJ Johnson's wife selling items on Ebay
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: JJ Johnson's wife selling items on Ebay  (Read 9155 times)
crossbone

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2006, 06:02PM »

Like Marty said, I think its a place to place a mic, Miles used one for his wah pedal and other effects.  I've never heard of JJ ever using anything like that before, unless he bought it just to fool around or something.

On JJ's "Pinnacles" album from 1980 he used a Barcus-Barry pickup, Gentle Electric Pitch Follower, and Roland Space Echo on "Cannonball Junction". He also used the same pickup and pitch follower along with an ARP 2600 and Oberheim Expander Module on "Mr. Clean".
Dantheman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2006, 01:50AM »

I have an old Zottola MP with a Barcus Berry pickup. I'm sure that's what it is. Actually I like the Mp much better than the sound of the pickup
WaltTrombone
Former Titler of Teh Bick!

"Ein Prosit, ein Prosit, der Gemütlichkeit!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2006, 06:08PM »

Keep in mind that stuff belongs to Mrs. Johnson now; she's entitled to dispose of it however she wishes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but she may not have collected any life insurance, because of JJ's suicide. Add that to any lingering medical bills from JJ's illness, and then you tell her she's not entitled to get some money from selling that stuff.

Things are not always so clearcut, is what I'm saying...

Walter Barrett
http://www.walterbarrett.com/
Yamaha Artist/Clinician
Alto, Tenor, Bass Trombones
Bass Trumpet
Euphonium, Tuba
zemry

"Steve Turre and myself in the French Quarter"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2006, 06:18PM »

Keep in mind that stuff belongs to Mrs. Johnson now; she's entitled to dispose of it however she wishes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but she may not have collected any life insurance, because of JJ's suicide. Add that to any lingering medical bills from JJ's illness, and then you tell her she's not entitled to get some money from selling that stuff.

I very much agree with you.

There won't come a time when you won't have to practice anymore.........J.J. Johnson

Richard Zemry Johnson, Jr.
actikid

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2006, 08:59PM »

And as has been said before, one should not assume that JJ became filthy rich from his musical career.  Music performance is a tough way to make a living, even when you are one of the best ever.

Where was Blackwater on the morning of September 11, 2001?
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2006, 12:25AM »

Am I the only person who wonders if any of this stuff is legit?  The biographical material sounds like it was written by someone who never met the guy.  Even if it's real, we might have the high honor of playing the mouthpiece or mute that JJ Johnson stuck in his basement because it sounded like ****.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2006, 12:01PM »

stuff  is  legit
==========
i  got  a reply  from  her 
=======
thanks  zemmy
and ernesto
and stew
and the rest  who  are  going for it
=======

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
lament12

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2006, 03:03PM »

maybe she  met  a  sax  player 
besides this  is  not his  first  wife [vivian]
=================
the  horns are already  gone  ///auctioned  off
==================
yeah   notes//play soft  etc//  on the  harmon

I just had to address your comment about me not being Vivian the first wife.!!AND YOUR POINT?!! JJ and I was married for 10 wonderful years we both loved each other very much. The comment you made was very disrespectful to JJ and I. I PRAY AND HOPE THAT YOU ARE NOT MARRIED FOR THE SECOND TIME. I am not prejudice against SAX player Sax players are good people too.
lament12

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2006, 03:31PM »

P.S. You are hearing this from MRS JJ JOHNSON I have not auction off all of the Trombones.
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2006, 04:38PM »

I'm just curious Lament12.

How many horns did JJ have?
Unaboner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: Dec 15, 2006, 05:42PM »

Welcome to the forum Mrs. Johnson.

Craig

lament12

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Dec 15, 2006, 06:31PM »

Hello Trombone Forum,

This is Carolyn Johnson, JJ's wife. I want to thank all of you, in support of me auctioning JJ's items. JJ and I were married for ten wonderful years. JJ was a talented musician for the world, a special friend to many, a fantastic father and family man, and an amazing husband. It will be 6 years this February, that JJ passed away. I have everything JJ owned, from scrap pieces of paper, his clothing and some trombones. My family tells me all the time to get rid of some of his things, and I feel it's time to move on. It has taken me 6 long years to depart with his things. After talking to family members, I've decided to put the mutes, mouth pieces and some of his awards on Ebay instead of a yard sales, or trashing them. I would rather see someone using them making beautiful music and keeping his memory alive. Before JJ passed away, we gave items to The Smithsonian, and other organizations. Memories keep those we love close to us forever. I do not need mutes, or mouth pieces to keep my husband's memory alive. To show my appreciation for the love you have for JJ, I wanted to share them with his fans. I wanted to give everyone a fare opportunity, by putting them on Ebay for people to make beautiful music with.  Let us pray and hope these items get into the right hands. My reserve was not very much, I am not doing this for the money. I appreciate, respect, and understand some of you feeling this way was not the right thing to do. Please respect my decision, JJ was a celebrity to you, he was a husband to me.(I will let you in on a little secret, the great JJ took out the trash and mopped floors.) I was not in love with a trombone, mouth pieces and mutes, etc. I loved the man, JJ JOHNSON!! I would like to wish everyone a Happy Holiday Season.  

Thank You,

Carolyn Johnson
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Dec 15, 2006, 06:51PM »

Happy holidays to you too, and welcome to the Forum.

I totally understand your position.  Both of my parents died in the past few years, and I also had to dispose of many years of collected items full of memories.

Thanks in advance for the Finch mute.  I have wanted one for years, since I missed the opportunity to buy one while they were being made.  Do you know if JJ actually used it?

I talked to JJ a few times - he wanted to try my mouthpieces, just because a bunch of his students had them.  I heard him the last time he played at Blues Alley in DC, playing great but complaining about his chops... 

A truly great man.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
Malec Heermans

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 15, 2006, 07:21PM »

$810 for the M21. Right on Mrs. Johnson! I think that's great. I can't see any downside to auctioning off these items, and look forward to seeing more cool stuff on ebay. At those prices I likely won't be able to afford any of these things, but they are cool to see. They lend some personal insight, something human, to a person that has reached iconic status. The beauty of JJ's music inspires me every day, something I'll NEVER be able to pay for. And I love the thing about JJ mopping the floor and taking out the trash. Thanks so much for visiting us and best wishes for the future.

Malec

Malec Heermans
Bach 42GHM - Ferguson 2
Yamaha 891Z - Ferguson 1S
crossbone

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Dec 15, 2006, 10:03PM »

I started this thread about JJ's stuff being sold because I thought it would be great if trombone players could be aware of the items and possibly purchase and preserve them. To Carolyn Johnson, I'm sorry if any comments here have made you feel offended.
The Forum is full of great guys (and gals) who treasure JJ's contribution to the world of music. You don't have to explain anything in your actions to any of us on the Forum. I lost my Dad last Thanksgiving. He loved the trombone and had taken me to all my lessons as a kid. When he was close to death, I played a version of "Stormy Weather" for him that I had worked up. He just said, "I wish I had a recording of that."
Always there encouraging me right to the very end.

It's been over a year now and my mom, who was married to him for 60 years, has not yet moved any of his possesions. She will when she feels it's time. At his funeral, my old jazz teacher Aubrey Tucker and I played some duelling trombone stuff to give him a good send off. I know somewhere he was laughing and diggin' it. I haven't performed on the trombone in public since then. I will when I feel it's time.

Thanks to Carolyn Johnson for posting on this forum. I wish you the best and I especially appreciate your comments about how much you loved the man, not the mouthpieces, mutes, etc... because as we all know in our hearts here on this forum:
It's the man who was special, not the tools of his trade.
Still I must say that the members here on this forum will respect and preserve his musical legacy.
franticslide

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Dec 15, 2006, 10:04PM »

Well, i am happy to state that i have won the auctions for the King M21 mouthpiece and mute with J.J.'s handwriting to remind himself to play quietly near the mic. I have the display case ready for them, and only hope that in due time, i will feel the selfworth to actually use them... needless to say, they will be greatly esteemed in my home. Thank you Mrs. Johnson, for allowing J.J.'s fan base to have a little more of what your husband loved so much about music, the Trombone and his equipment.
zemry

"Steve Turre and myself in the French Quarter"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: Dec 16, 2006, 03:32AM »

Thany you, Mrs. Johnson for allowing JJ's fans to have a small part of his legacy. We appreciate it. Although I was outbid on the Down Beat award, I already have the pleasure of having an autographed copy of JJ's biography. He was nice enough to autograph it for me when I mailed it to him!

My father was a trombonist and died several years ago.....I wish you could talk my step-mother in to giving me his silver Conn 6h, slide and valve section!

There won't come a time when you won't have to practice anymore.........J.J. Johnson

Richard Zemry Johnson, Jr.
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Dec 16, 2006, 09:17AM »

hey  im  ready to get married  for the 2nd  time 
or shack up  for the  umteenth  time 
praying  to  jump again

--------
you  might  not be prejudiced against sax  players
but  at the very  least  there  is  ''HEALTHY  COMPETITION''
going on  especially  at  some  skill levels   saxes  get  many solos
bones   nothing   and  just   basic  mass   perception  of 
 sax   versus   the  unknown  and obscure    SLIDING  THING 
  and  people at clubs   telling  you
''you really play   great sax''!!!
----------
many of  us  trombone players  were  upset   at  the   scant  material
on trombones    in  KEN  BURNS    PBS   JAZZ  THING
 JJ'S  PHOTO   ON  WALL OF CLUB    --that  was  it
so  the  remark   about  being hooking up  w  a sax  player 
is  a   kind  of  joke
-----------
some   followed   jjs  carreer   switching  from king  to  yamaha
forever  winning  downbeat  and playboy  jazz  awards
------
i  still  have  a raggedy   faded  orange  trombone  book  he  wrote
bought new   in 60s
and  i  painted  my bell  flat  black
when i  saw    his  black  king
there  was lots  going on   then  [and  still ]
============
steve  turree    and robin   eubanks 
steve  played  a jj piece   at  new orleans --fantastic
----------
thanks  for  hitting the   trombone forum
 i  am  the one   who  sent  you the  link
some of the  guys  here  are skeptics 
and  e bay   has   its  share  of  scammers 
--------
IF   YOU  CAN MAKE  IT TO  VEGAS  --WOULD  YOU LIKE  TO  MEET  THE  WINNER  OF THE   JJ  COMPETITION ///CARL  FONTANNAS   DAUGHTER  WILL  PROBABLY  BE THERE
AND  MAYBE  KAI  WINDINGS DAUGHTER  MICHE
   INTERNATIONAL   TROMBONE   FESTIVAL
================
  looks like  e bay  is  doing  good 
 uh    you  can  put   stuff here  on  thr ads  section  for free   --hint  hint -
--------
really   e bay  is  good
--------
  jjs  music  //arrangements    ---
-------
even  a  scrap  of  paper  would  be precious
 i  still have  the  postcard  jj  filled out
 from  around 1989   or so
-------
i  sent him  a  small oil painting 
of  my  trombone 
you  ever  see  this  painting  anywhere  ?????
---------
GLAD  YOU   DIDNT  TOSS  OR  YARD SALE  !!!!!
-------
THANKS  FOR  TAKING  CARE  OF JJ
-----
THANKS FOR  TAKING CARE  OF HIS  STUFF
-------
[thoughts scattered  //things  to  do ]

I just had to address your comment about me not being Vivian the first wife.!!AND YOUR POINT?!! JJ and I was married for 10 wonderful years we both loved each other very much. The comment you made was very disrespectful to JJ and I. I PRAY AND HOPE THAT YOU ARE NOT MARRIED FOR THE SECOND TIME. I am not prejudice against SAX player Sax players are good people too.

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
greg waits

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: Dec 16, 2006, 11:41PM »

Hello Trombone Forum,

This is Carolyn Johnson, JJ's wife. I want to thank all of you, in support of me auctioning JJ's items. JJ and I were married for ten wonderful years. JJ was a talented musician for the world, a special friend to many, a fantastic father and family man, and an amazing husband. It will be 6 years this February, that JJ passed away. I have everything JJ owned, from scrap pieces of paper, his clothing and some trombones. My family tells me all the time to get rid of some of his things, and I feel it's time to move on. It has taken me 6 long years to depart with his things. After talking to family members, I've decided to put the mutes, mouth pieces and some of his awards on Ebay instead of a yard sales, or trashing them. I would rather see someone using them making beautiful music and keeping his memory alive. Before JJ passed away, we gave items to The Smithsonian, and other organizations. Memories keep those we love close to us forever. I do not need mutes, or mouth pieces to keep my husband's memory alive. To show my appreciation for the love you have for JJ, I wanted to share them with his fans. I wanted to give everyone a fare opportunity, by putting them on Ebay for people to make beautiful music with.  Let us pray and hope these items get into the right hands. My reserve was not very much, I am not doing this for the money. I appreciate, respect, and understand some of you feeling this way was not the right thing to do. Please respect my decision, JJ was a celebrity to you, he was a husband to me.(I will let you in on a little secret, the great JJ took out the trash and mopped floors.) I was not in love with a trombone, mouth pieces and mutes, etc. I loved the man, JJ JOHNSON!! I would like to wish everyone a Happy Holiday Season.  

Thank You,

Carolyn Johnson

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on JJ in this forum. I know it means a lot to many of us. JJ made an enormous impact on the music world. He showed young trombone players that there was indeed a place for them on the bandstand in modern jazz.

He was class all the way.

Best wishes to you, Mrs Johnson.  Hi

It is what it is; no more no less
Nick_Hayes

"Bring It On"

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Dec 18, 2006, 06:29AM »

That would probably be an old-style Barcus-Berry pickup...... Also worked good for extreme effects (harmonizers, etc.)

Listen to title track, "Pinnacles", JJ Johnson 1980.

"What one man can do, another can do."
Trombone, Darwin Symphony Orchestra, Australia
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: