Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087224 Posts in 72006 Topics- by 19242 Members - Latest Member: simonvd
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, slide advantage) Trombonist who fly with trombone on a regular basis--attn!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trombonist who fly with trombone on a regular basis--attn!!!!  (Read 126375 times)
denny seifried

View Profile
« on: Mar 02, 2007, 09:53AM »

I just received an email from the AFM, as I am sure others have, just today.
The AFM is working with Congress and the airline industry for several years to resolve the difficult issue of carry-one musical instruments (not just trombones and bass trombones!).

For those of you who fly with your trombone, please take a few minutes to send your problems with carry-on trombones. Probably listing the specific airline might help, also.

I assume this is not just limited to AFM members; but, they are requesting feed-back from all, who fly with a trombone.

Here is the email address: tperetti@afm.org.

Thanks for you participation in the gathering of vital information for the traveling musicians.

Denny Seifried
Bass Trombone
Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Jazz Central Big Band, Mojo Brass & Springfield (OH) Symphony
BBb Tuba Ohio Valley British Brass Band (OVBBB) & Western Ohio Tuba Quartet
Adjunct Trombone-Wittenberg Univ. Dept. of Music
Silver3B

"Tango! Argentine tango love dancing the tango!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2007, 01:01PM »

Thanks Denny,

That include dealing with TSA on carry-on instruments?

Anthony Cecena,
San Diego,CA
King 3B and 4B- with G attachment.
freestyle eric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2007, 07:23PM »

thanks!  i'll pass this on to my girlfriend's string quartet.

second.chance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2007, 11:50PM »

Hi Denny - just thinking about Las Vegas (you going? We should meet up if you are) Whats the latest on carry one? I've a double gig bag on the way and would quite like to take two horns havent got an SKB case to put it in (going to get one when I get to the States because they want $400 to ship one to the UK!) I've got this neat arrangement with one of the kids I used to teach and he gets me 1st class tickets for American Airlines - I'm thinking that may make a difference cos theyve got loads of room behind each seat to store a whole trombone Choir if you wanted to. I guess I'll just have to ask, but wondered what the latest news is 'fore warned is fore armed'!  Didnt have any problems with New Orleans but I guess thats an eternity and liquid bombers away... Doug

You Can Always Tell the Character Of  A Man By How He Treats Those Who Can Do Nothing For Him... James Miles
JimArcher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2007, 05:26AM »

Related.  Excepting commuter planes, most o'heads will accommodate a trombone; however, we flew on a 777 last week, at least on AA the bins are much shorter. 

Jim Archer, an old, old Olds fan
Olympia, WA
second.chance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2007, 10:21AM »

Interesting, I think all the AA planes that fly Heathrow to LAX are 777

You Can Always Tell the Character Of  A Man By How He Treats Those Who Can Do Nothing For Him... James Miles
JBledsoe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 09:48AM »

Howdy,

The commuter planes are the biggest problem, because I usually have to take a connecting flight with a regional jet. You cant fit anything in the overhead. When I fly I generally gate check my horn, but I think they should let people with larger instruments board when the small children and handicap do.

Josh

Josh Bledsoe
Presidio Brass
Missouri Symphony Orchestra
Principal Trombone

-----------------------
www.JoshBledsoe.com
Tromb1r

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2007, 02:52PM »

Excepting commuter planes, most o'heads will accommodate a trombone

That still leaves the problem of getting on the plane while there's still enough room in the bins.  On occasion, I have actually asked to be allowed to pre-board in order to make sure I could stow my horn.

Going through airport security is definitely interesting with a horn case, especially if you have an in-bell stand or other complicated-looking metal pieces in there.  Not unlike the experiences I've had with diving equipment.
second.chance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2007, 11:21PM »

Well I made Vegas fine. Good time was had by one and all, though much smaller this year due to the change from China to Vegas (opposite ends of the spectrum?!!). I flew to LA and drove up to Vegas from there. I flew AA via Miami going out. Aside from the fact that the lady at check in @ Heathrow tried to tell me I couldnt take the horn on, all went well, no one questioned me and it went through security like a dream. Had to 're-check' the horn at Miami but no one said anything. I only took the one horn (Bass) in a Bonna case. It sat on the floor behind my seat going to Miami, went in an overhead locker from Miami to LA. I bought an SKB case while I was in the States so put the Bonna in that and checked it for the return journey - safe and sound. I think AA are a good airline by all accounts.

zemry

"Steve Turre and myself in the French Quarter"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2007, 04:34PM »

I just got back from playing trombone on a church mission trip in Mexico. I flew Mexicana Airlines from Dallas/Ft. Worth to Mexico City to Vera Cruz and back again. I took my Conn 4h on as carry-on and stored it in the overhead bin.....no problem!

Shout out to Mexicana Airlines......they still serve meals!

There won't come a time when you won't have to practice anymore.........J.J. Johnson

Richard Zemry Johnson, Jr.
pfleming
« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2007, 07:50AM »

I've been flying a lot with my horn.  I've learned a couple things:  First, if anyone hassles you, talk to someone else.  Eventually you will find someone that sympathizes.

Also, I've found that if I claw my way up to the front of the queue, I can get my horn in the overheads before everyone else.  That way, it's just up to other people having to deal with my horn being there.  I know it's selfish, but it sure beats having to search every single frikkin' bin for a spot for my gigantic Getzen hard case...
DFree

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2007, 11:34AM »

I've been flying a lot with my horn.  I've learned a couple things:  First, if anyone hassles you, talk to someone else.  Eventually you will find someone that sympathizes.

Also, I've found that if I claw my way up to the front of the queue, I can get my horn in the overheads before everyone else.  That way, it's just up to other people having to deal with my horn being there.  I know it's selfish, but it sure beats having to search every single frikkin' bin for a spot for my gigantic Getzen hard case...

Right on Paul!

I travel from time to time with my Bach Model 1 Alto, and I simply explain that the horn is worth more than I am and it's not going anywhere but with me. A little drama doesn't hurt - there's never been a problem before on your airline - let me speak to your supervisor...

The only thing I'd add to the conversation is to always use self-serve checkin - ETicket, etc. Make the "problem" the gate staff's, their job is to get you on the airplane.

df

dave

Member - Bethlehem Area Moravian Trombone Choir
oldest continuous musical organization in North America (1754)
Dobbins

"Never look at the trombones, it only encourages em"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2007, 04:23PM »

I had to check my horn on a flight from Denver to Bolivia and back, with a stopover in Miami each way.  It was literally one of the most painful and scariest things I've ever done, and I will NEVER check my horn again.
ChopsOhSteel
Multiple Ensemble Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2007, 10:28PM »

I did a concert tour of china/mongolia last new years. I had 12 flights in china, and several bus rides. I could always fit my horn in the over head. There were a few times that there wasn't space in the bins so I had them store it ALONE in a storage closet that the crew used for jackets. I might also add that the cello's all had seats in 1st class. When I say that, I mean the actual instruments were sitting more comfortably than the players. Also, never let the crew take your horn from you. I always said I would take it if they didn't mind.

That was sold out... The Great hall in Bejing.

James McDonald... A.K.A. the number one reason your girlfriend left you.
JimArcher

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2007, 04:03AM »

Frontier Airlines.  Hadn't used them for 30+ years (back in the pilot yellow wool scarf days?).  Went from Portland to Denver to Dallas-Ft Worth & back last two weeks.  They use Airbus 318s - the large o'head bins will easily accommodate a trombone case, even a bass, I think.  I took a Pro Tec, they even noted in their file that I was bringing an instrument.  No hassle, no problem at all even in a full plane (except at my age getting the thing up there...). 

Jim Archer, an old, old Olds fan
Olympia, WA
Dennis K.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2007, 07:07AM »

I recommend flying with this guy:
http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/ShareElias/?action=view&current=cargo.flv
Frodo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2007, 12:39PM »

I have taken my King 606 on board Northwest and American flights in its plastic form fitting case without issue and it has fit into the overhead bins on MD Super 80, Embraer, Boeing 717, and 737, aircraft so far. I did gate check on one flight on a small prop plane.

Practice, Practice, Practice...
By their fruits shall you know them.
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. - Winston Churchill
Ralph Sauer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2008, 05:26AM »

US Air is batting a thousand!! I just returned from two weeks of teaching at Eastman, and they lost my suitcase going and returning. My 88H was in a MB lightweight case that always fits in overheads except for regional jets. I gate checked the horn in Rochester for a flight to Philadelphia on a regional jet, asking the flight attendant to ask the handlers to put it on top of the pile. When I picked it up at the gate and looked inside, the bell looked like a beer can that had been flattened and then pulled apart to its original shape. The Bonna case is very strong and the horn does not move when it's inside. Plus, I had a Best Brass practice mute in the bell. The slide was not affected at all. The only way that this sort of damage could have been done was to drop or throw the case with great force. I'm not sure any case could have protected against this, but I'll never know. By the way, the case shows absolutely no damage.
No more regional jets for me.
jwebster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2008, 07:04PM »

I have been on 8 flights with my shires bass in a MB hard case on American and Continental in the last few weeks with only one minor problem. All were leaving from columbus, OH, so each trip was 1 short connection flight, and a flight out of a hub each way. Mostly on Airbus planes (a few 737's, though). 

There was one regional flight on Continental (on a CRJ 200 plane) that the overhead bins were too small for the case (not by much though.... I think the chronkite bag that splits in two would have probably fit). I was able without much effort to let the flight attendant put my trombone into an open seat on the plane.

I highly recommend reading Steve Ferguson's tips on flying with a trombone (at www.hornguys.com).

I have had many gate agents say "You will have to gate check that", but I always politely refuse and say that it has always fit in the overhead bins before. Up until last week that was true. Having the backpack style case helps alot (I don't think they even see the case until I am well past them). I also usually bend the boarding rules, and either go with the people who need assistance/extra time boarding or with the first coach boarding group (regardless if I am seated in that section or not). I usually try to sit in the area of the plane that boards first as well.

Might be a good idea to start a sticky topic with what airline have been good/difficult to deal with. Also one with the model numbers of planes that fit cases  would be a great resource. 
alclarke

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2008, 08:16PM »

I'm flying to the states with two horns and a bunch of mutes.
What is the best way to pack multiple mutes? (I don't have a mute bag.)

BLOW!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: