Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066405 Posts in 70879 Topics- by 18685 Members - Latest Member: MattG1116
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, slide advantage) Trombonist who fly with trombone on a regular basis--attn!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trombonist who fly with trombone on a regular basis--attn!!!!  (Read 118103 times)
GetzenBassPlayer

"Learn as little as you have to, as well a"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2008, 09:29PM »

I'm flying to the states with two horns and a bunch of mutes.
What is the best way to pack multiple mutes? (I don't have a mute bag.)

I would send them UPS. They are insured, you can track them too. Also, once you go over your alloted number of bags, things can start getting real expensive with the air lines.

Pro level? Pro level!  You make it pro, you make it good You make it loved and play nice Then its a pro level horn
Leif

I can justify my position with a trombone in my hands and that's good enough for me
Beware wise men bearing equations  C. Stearn
alclarke

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2008, 06:35PM »

The problem is that I arrive in Miami 12.15am and I'm on the boat at Ft Lauderdale that same morning. I'm thinking about bubble wrapping them and keeping them in my luggage (with a fragile sticker on the bag!)

BLOW!
jwebster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2008, 03:57PM »

You could always buy an extra seat on the plane for the horns. It it not going to be cheap, but it will be less expensive than buying 2 new horns.
alclarke

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2008, 06:59PM »

I know it won't be cheap! It would be exorbitant!

BLOW!
ilanbone

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2008, 10:33PM »

I'm not sure bubble wrap will survive the air pressure at high altitudes Clever
Is there a way you can pack your mutes in a (at least partially) hardshell suitcase with some cloths around them?  I'm pretty sure you can check two bags w/out any charges, and the charge for an extra bag is a lot lower than for an extra seat...

Ilan Morgenstern
Bass Trombone, San Antonio Symphony
Affiliate artist, University of Houston
Trombone and Euphonium Instructor, Texas Lutheran University
gbedinger

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2008, 02:22PM »

I'm not sure bubble wrap will survive the air pressure at high altitudes

I've used bubble-wrap in checked baggage on trips to Denver.  Airline cabins are pressurized to the equivalent to several thousand feet in altitude.  Bubble-wrap works in Denver too...there is no high-altitude version.
NateR

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 14, 2008, 02:03PM »

If you are looking for ideas on the best way to travel with your horn. Check out Steve Ferguson's post on his site, www.hornguys.com. Here's a link to the page. He has some good ideas that i've used with success.

http://www.hornguys.com/cases.htm#travel_tips

Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 01, 2008, 02:35PM »

On the boat - you doin a ship gig?

I've been doing a few of those and as far as mutes go, here is how i pack:
stuff a straight in the bell, plunger around that....

of course if you have a hard case, this won't work.  pack them in your bag and wrap your clothes around the mutes.

on most ship gigs i end up not using mutes anyway... most guys don't bring their's, so you end up using plunger and straight in various configuraTIONS to simulate cup, hat, bucket, etc...  and if you need, you can just order some form WWBW  or your local music store.  this 'll be cheaper than mailing them overseas. 

which ship you going to?

Zac

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 01, 2008, 05:07PM »

Oh yeah, fyi, i have a copy of a letter somewhere that I use when travelling  with the airlines.  I can post a Pdf of it somewhere if no one has this and can tell me where i could post it.  It's a TSA letter we got in 2003 i think when the cruise line i worked for was having issues with guys getting their gear messed up.  It all still depends on the airline of course...

oh yeah... always ask to get on with the pre-boarding ( i think someone else brought that up.)  be nice and courteous and explain that it fits in an overhead and politely ask to speak with someone else or get a transfer to another flight if you get agro for it.  I can't stress politeness enough.  They can have you arrested or detained now-a-days for getting rude with airline hosts, i kid you not.  I've seen it happen and almost had it happen to me... so be nice :)

oh yeah... i just noticed this is an old thread and i am replying to time sensitive stuff.... i'm a dummy

Zac

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
nghtmare007

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 18, 2008, 10:06PM »

My instructor and another student of his have a case that resembles a golf bag.  That, or it really is a golf bag...  I forget, but the company make golf bags and the case apparently works.  It is really cool because it has two legs to hold it up too.  If you know the name of the company it would be helpful to list it for me and others...
JBledsoe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: Apr 18, 2008, 10:28PM »

My instructor and another student of his have a case that resembles a golf bag.  That, or it really is a golf bag...  I forget, but the company make golf bags and the case apparently works.  It is really cool because it has two legs to hold it up too.  If you know the name of the company it would be helpful to list it for me and others...

Probably Wolfpack

Josh Bledsoe
Presidio Brass
Missouri Symphony Orchestra
Principal Trombone

-----------------------
www.JoshBledsoe.com
Matt Ingman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 03:44AM »

Travelers with a trombone... Read this: http://www.mercurynews.com/valley/ci_9343474

Yes, American Airlines is now charging $15 for the first checked bag, and $25 for the second. Other airlines are sure to follow.

What will this mean? My guess is that EVERYONE who flies will now cram everything they have into their carry-on bag and try to take as much on board as possible. This will finding space for an item like a bass trombone (which I have been carrying on lately) nearly impossible.

Further, I can assume that, because people will carry more on (making the overhead space more crowded) the airlines will start carefully enforcing size restrictions on carry-on baggage. Again, this is a nightmare for a trombonist. Oddly shaped bags won't go over well.

Another unfriendly move by airlines trying to squeeze more out the customer.

RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2008, 10:29PM »

Now that is REALLY bad news, Matt. :(

Time to start playing the pocket trumpet. Eeek!

My trumpet player very occasionally uses one of these. I glance round at him and it looks as if he's playing his nose.

(That isn't him, BTW - my trumpet player's nose is MUCH bigger)

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
bachbone
Sing Sing Sing!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Aug 16, 2008, 12:04AM »

Sounds like it really sucks for those Bach Stradivarius cases.  They are so bulky and don't even have a lot of space inside of them!

I have a solution for everything!  I bought a MV 42 Case and took out the mouthpiece holder box so that I could put my 42BO, 42T and even my smaller horns in if I like.

Take a look at the case!  Small and worth it!

You can be in Tokyo or Alberta at four in the morning in your hotel and you can still practice if you feel like it. A trombone cannot do that at four in the morning.
captscotty

"In memory of Gail Royer..."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Oct 09, 2008, 12:58AM »

Hi all! First post for me...

Look, as an airline captain for Delta Air Lines, I wish more musicians would ask to say "Hi" to the Captain when boarding. If I know there is a fellow musician (especially lower brass player) I will make sure we accommodate your valuable instrument. Flight attendants don't have the appreciation for the importance of your axe generally to help you like they should. If you see me standing at the gate podium looking all important and everything (hehehehe) just come up and introduce yourself. I'll make sure right then we accommodate your instrument.

Also, you might ask the gate agent if you can board early to protect your instrument. Hey, it doesn't hurt to ask, right? Tell them you're with the Atlanta Symphony or something...Lastly, if things go south and they're trying to make you check it, you MUST ask to touch base with the Captain at that point...just try to avoid that last minute, frantic scramble. It is unacceptable to put your 'bone' in danger down below!!!

Good luck!

second.chance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: Oct 09, 2008, 01:22AM »

Hi Scot

Welcome to the forum. Now everyones going to be flying Delta! The rest of the pilots in the fleet will be confused why passengers keep asking them if they play the trombone!!

Alas I always fly American because of a deal I have with them!

Good to have you on board!.. Doug

You Can Always Tell the Character Of  A Man By How He Treats Those Who Can Do Nothing For Him... James Miles
Lenze

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Oct 20, 2008, 06:20PM »

Arent't we trombonists far better off anyway than our esteemed colleagues from the string or even woodwind department if it comes to air travel problems?

I mean, a) the instruments are far less sensitive, not just concerning mechanical damage but also toward air pressure, temperature and humidity changes; b) compared to a decent violin, cello or bassoon, they are rather inexpensive. I dare not imagine what you go through with a double bass, let alone a harp...

Up until now, I hadn't considered carrying my bass bone on; at the outside, I considered making a cheap plywood/styrofoam case as a second layer around the 'real' case, but more to prevent cosmetic damages to the latter than for anything else. Stick a TSA lock on it and that's it. What's wrong with that approach?

Regards
Radbert
boneagain

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Oct 20, 2008, 06:29PM »

Arent't we trombonists far better off anyway than our esteemed colleagues from the string or even woodwind department if it comes to air travel problems?

I mean, a) the instruments are far less sensitive, not just concerning mechanical damage but also toward air pressure, temperature and humidity changes; b) compared to a decent violin, cello or bassoon, they are rather inexpensive. I dare not imagine what you go through with a double bass, let alone a harp...

Up until now, I hadn't considered carrying my bass bone on; at the outside, I considered making a cheap plywood/styrofoam case as a second layer around the 'real' case, but more to prevent cosmetic damages to the latter than for anything else. Stick a TSA lock on it and that's it. What's wrong with that approach?

Regards
Radbert

Well,
http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/10/19/1618259&from=rss

Now, I can't imagine anyone being so unsubtle as to walk away with a trombone outside its case.  But I've had TSA "repack" my bags.  Things that fit in with no pressure (in nice clear bags, as suggested on the flying sites) sprang out at my destination.  How much are you willing to bet that the inspector puts your horn back into its careful packing the way it was in the first place?

It's a rock and a hard place situation.  If it weren't for the inspections I'd be happy to do as I did in the old day, and pack my case VERY carefully and check it.  That was the one bag that never seemed to get lost (but it LOOKED like a trombone.)  If I could afford it now, I'd get something I wouldn't mind checking at the gate and follow CaptScotty's advice.  The only thing I have, though is for earlier checking, and I dread that.

Dave Adams
Staunch admirer of all who still make a living at this!
Lenze

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Oct 21, 2008, 08:50AM »

Well,
http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/10/19/1618259&from=rss

But I've had TSA "repack" my bags.  Things that fit in with no pressure (in nice clear bags, as suggested on the flying sites) sprang out at my destination.  How much are you willing to bet that the inspector puts your horn back into its careful packing the way it was in the first place?

Well, the trombone cases I had so far were so snuggly form-fitted that they would only allow insertion of the 'bone's corpus one way anyway... ok, he might bend the slide. If he were really really insensitive and moronic.

Is it hard to claim damages from the TSA for damaged goods?
johngsteel

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Nov 18, 2008, 12:23PM »

Just imagine the difficulty of traveling with a 15k Alexander tuba!

So a rock solid hard case is not enough?  Sad that the "ramp rats" do not know how to treat anything marked "Fragile",   Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed

Kanstul 1662i
- Red brass bell, unsoldered, 24 gauge
- Bronze (rose/gold) outer slide, nickle crook
- Kanstull George Roberts mouthpiece
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: