Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1073102 Posts in 71184 Topics- by 18858 Members - Latest Member: pchoi
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, slide advantage) Trombonist who fly with trombone on a regular basis--attn!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trombonist who fly with trombone on a regular basis--attn!!!!  (Read 121407 times)
EdGrissom

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: Mar 12, 2014, 04:17PM »

Here is one for you....  In 1977 I flew from Little Rock to Merida, Mexico with my 88H in the old original black case.  While in Mexico I bought a giant machete in a leather scabbard.   Like the dumma$$ college kid I was, I put the machete in my trombone case, locked it with the little cheap key, and checked it.   I went through customs in New Orleans and flew on to little rock without any problems.   The horn was fine and the machete was still there.    I still have it, but sold the horn years ago.

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound? If a man makes a statement and no woman is there to hear it, is he still wrong?"
thebobsterr

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:47PM »

Recently a friend of mine flew to NYC to perform in the Mary's Parade, on the way there he left it right outside the plane door just like strollers, wheelchairs, etc. On the way home he was forced to check it as luggage, therefore he literally covered every square inch in fragile stickers. He was using a generic marching euphonium case. When we arrived home the case was completely bashed in on the sides, the hinges broken off, the corner broken off to where some of the foam almost revealed the instrument, but whenever he went to the luggage claim at OIA he was told they couldn't do anything about it since "nothing on the inside was damaged. American Airlines at its best.
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: Apr 20, 2014, 02:32PM »

Today I was informed by American Airlines that their policy is to not gate check or check instruments unless absolutely necessary.

HOLY CRAP! 

The said if it didn't fit in the overhead they would talk to the crew about finding room for it in the closet… they've never actually volunteered that information before - this must be a new policy with them regarding musical instruments.

Imagine that - a business looking out for it's business customers.  I was floored.  I had to send them a thank-you letter on their facebook page I was so stunned.

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: Apr 20, 2014, 02:33PM »

Wow. That's good to know. I've been using an skb462 for all my traveling.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Geogio

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: Aug 01, 2014, 01:13PM »

Didja' here about the Canadian recorder (flute) musician who had some very old, very rare and very precious recorders CONFISCATED by TSA because they were made from exotic woods?

Wow...  I wonder if he/she ever got them back? 
bildotcom

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: Aug 07, 2014, 10:30PM »

Hi All. I have read the Forum from time to time but this is my first post. One of the bands I play in is going from Seattle to Seoul to Shanghai to perform in a parade and then back home. For the marching band I have a P-Bone. The horn in its case is about 4" or 6" over the carry-on limit for Korean Airlines. Does anyone have have any experience in international travel and horns? Is there any affordable hard cases for a P-Bone? I am kind of stressing over this right now.
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: Aug 08, 2014, 01:10AM »

I can't imagine that Korean Air is any different from all the others.  People carry on things all the time that are over the official size but they fit in the overhead.

Just like all gig bags, carry it so it's always behind you and the gate agent doesn't see it.

On one flight in China I had a window seat and I held my gig bag right in my seat between my leg and the wall.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
Manexbi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: Aug 08, 2014, 01:44AM »

I can't imagine that Korean Air is any different from all the others.  People carry on things all the time that are over the official size but they fit in the overhead.

Just like all gig bags, carry it so it's always behind you and the gate agent doesn't see it.

On one flight in China I had a window seat and I held my gig bag right in my seat between my leg and the wall.

That would make me a really unconfortable trip but could be good for small guys!!!

"Discontent is the first step in the progress of a man or a nation. Revolution is the second!"
SilverBone
Put the Cool in "Coulisse!"

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: Aug 08, 2014, 06:42PM »

t. One of the bands I play in is going from Seattle to Seoul to Shanghai to perform in a parade and then back home.

Is this The Beat Goes On Marching Band?

-Howard

The nastiest fellow I've known
Smashed his trombone and ruined its tone.
There's a simple excuse
For his slush pump abuse:
He was born to be bad to the bone.
bildotcom

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: Aug 23, 2014, 06:42AM »

Is this The Beat Goes On Marching Band?

Yes this is.

It sounds like our travel agent has finally contacted the airlines and let them know what we have and we should not have problems with carry on.

Thank for everyone's input.

Bill C.
donn

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: Nov 06, 2014, 04:58PM »

Make a note of that travel agent's name!  Others here might be able to use his or her services.  Wouldn't that be great?  No worries about taking my trombone on your airplane, I'll just have my people call your people!
Euphoni

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: Jul 06, 2015, 02:52PM »

(moved)

Will Hess
Freelance Trombonist - New Orleans
-----------
http://euphon1.wix.com/willhess
Charlie bone

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: Aug 24, 2016, 08:51PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/british-airways-stops-musician-from-flying-with-cello-as-it-didnt-have-a-visa-a7187516.html

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: Aug 25, 2016, 09:07AM »

Hi All. I have read the Forum from time to time but this is my first post. One of the bands I play in is going from Seattle to Seoul to Shanghai to perform in a parade and then back home. For the marching band I have a P-Bone. The horn in its case is about 4" or 6" over the carry-on limit for Korean Airlines. Does anyone have have any experience in international travel and horns? Is there any affordable hard cases for a P-Bone? I am kind of stressing over this right now.

The pbone is so thin that it fits under the seat or above the other items in the overhead. I got a pbone for this reason.

Also, I wouldn't stress over a $150 instrument.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: Aug 25, 2016, 05:23PM »

I have flown a fair amount and I've never seen an airline enforce a size limit like that. They have limits for normal luggage but other items are let through.  Overheads are always long enough, and if not put it under the seat.  On one flight in China I held my gig bag next to me on the floor vertically and nobody said anything.  Don't make a big deal of it, just carry it on.

timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: Aug 25, 2016, 07:09PM »

I traveled with a pBone on my last trip for work.  Nobody gave me any trouble.  On one flight the attendant helped me put it where it couldn't get damaged and closed that overhead early.

It does seem easier if you take a seat in the back.  Those overheads fill less slowly - as people come in they seem to grab spaces before their seat, paranoid that there won't be room (because they're all carrying on all their luggage to avoid the baggage charges.) 

I'm also a TSA Precheck, and that convenience is well worth paying for if you travel much at all. 

Tim Richardson
stvatt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: Feb 12, 2017, 06:13PM »

Anyone have experience taking a Cronkhite Bass Flight Bag on board an Embraer 175 plane? It has two seats across on each side.

Dr. Seth T. Vatt
Music Faculty - Phoenix College
www.TromboneExcerpts.org
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: Feb 12, 2017, 06:18PM »

I can pretty much guarantee it will not fit, not even close.  Don't take a gig bag on that trip.  You will be forced to check it, and even if it's a gate check there's no guarantee it won't go through regular baggage channels on arrival.

stvatt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: Feb 12, 2017, 06:34PM »

I can pretty much guarantee it will not fit, not even close.  Don't take a gig bag on that trip.  You will be forced to check it, and even if it's a gate check there's no guarantee it won't go through regular baggage channels on arrival.

Doug! Thanks for the advice. I have money to send you, BTW.

I have an old Protech hard case I can use, but I still don't trust checking it. MAYBE gate checking it.

The choice is DFW to Lexington direct on an Embraer 175, or Southwest to Louisville with a connection, and transportation to Lexington.

Dr. Seth T. Vatt
Music Faculty - Phoenix College
www.TromboneExcerpts.org
baroquetrombone

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: Feb 12, 2017, 07:25PM »

Anyone have experience taking a Cronkhite Bass Flight Bag on board an Embraer 175 plane? It has two seats across on each side.

The 175s are bigger than you might think. I don't have any experience with your particular case, but I've confirmed that my big Pelican flight case fits in an American/USAirways 170/175. Dimensions of that case (from the website) are: 47.20" x 16.50" x 9.20" and there was a *little* room above it, just fyi.

Of course, it's always good to prepare for gate check if you don't KNOW it'll fit. Be absolutely clear that you want it back on the jetway (and not sent to bag claim) too. Some airlines will still screw that up though. After a miserable experience with United where they sent it to bag claim mid-itinerary, I put fluorescent pink tags (the same color as the Delta gate check tags) on my case that say that it should always be returned to the jetway. So far, I haven't had a problem (on Delta).
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: