Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080509 Posts in 71509 Topics- by 19055 Members - Latest Member: MOS3
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Non-alcoholic drinks  (Read 3627 times)
evan51
Guardian of the Sacred Nebulizer

View Profile WWW
« on: Mar 21, 2007, 04:21PM »

Jones Natural Soda started using cane sugar instead of corn sweeteners this year. They have a great Cream Soda and Green Apple. I haven't tried the others yet, but the two I mentioned are very satisfying (if you like that nice sugar-high feel!).

One life---a little gleam of time between two Eternities.---Thomas Carlyle
fsgazda

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2007, 07:24PM »

I don't do caffeine, so I stick with root beer and ginger ale for the most part.  Here's  a fave:

http://www.virgils.com/about.shtml

(Edited to correct code. RHM)
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2007, 10:16PM by RedHotMama » Logged

Associate Professor of Music, Delaware State University, Dover, DE.
BariTrom
worst speller

"why?"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2007, 09:14PM »

Non Alcoholic Drinks:
Hot Coco, Root Beer, Milk, Sprite, Water, Apple Juice, Gatorade, Chocolate Milk, Orange Soda, Pepsi, Milk Shake, Black Tea, Dr.Pepper, Orange Juice, Vinegar, Coke, Lemonade, Coffee, Club Soda, Powerade, Apple Cider, Blood, Wight Tea, Distilled Water, Green Tea, Ginger Ale, Energy Drink, Ice Tea, Sugar Water, Cranberry Juice, V8, Raspberry Tea, Smoothie, Coconut Juice, Sparkling Water, Prune Juice, Cream, Banana Flout, Cherry Soda, Mountain Dew, Espresso, Valve Oil, Capresun, Fruit Punch, Cola, Oolong Tea, Red Bull, Latte, Grape Fruit Soda, Herbal Tea, Chocolate Syrup, StrawBerry Milk, Punch, Dr.Pib, Cream Soda, Capacheeno, Mango Juice, CoolAid, Grape Soda, Sheerly Temple, Apricot Juice, Egg Nog, Slushy, Malt, Carrot Juice...

Gemma: band geek (w/o the band) cartoonist
*NM AllStateBand: 2007;2008,1st chair
in the mean time...in between time...
woulverine
Defender of the Pav

"That shouldnt be there"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2007, 09:29PM »

The stuff I drink before beeroclock.

Ian Wiley

Trombone, Manukau City Concert Band
Sanf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2007, 06:58AM »

Tea.

You may reject this signature, but its ghost will forever haunt your festivals of coercion!

Frank Ng
Brisko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2007, 07:02AM »

Non Alcoholic Drinks:
. . .Egg Nog. . .

You're doing it wrong  ;-)

"Even a blind hog finds a kernel of corn now and again."
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2007, 07:51AM »

I don't know if they are worldwide, but the Non-Alcoholic Drink Association (NADA; what a great acronym) has a number of substitute mixed drinks that have everything but the alcohol.  I used to drink NADA Colada (Pina colada) and NADA Margherita.  Very handy when you shouldn't be taking in the "hard stuff".  Usually claiming to be the "Designated Driver" (which is usually true) helps keep the staff from trying to sell me hard liquor.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
BobCochran
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2007, 12:28PM »

LOVE that Sonic Cherry Limeade.  You can make 'em yourself with limeade, Sprite, cherry syrup.

I drink almost no sugar soda any more, but when I did, this was my favorite.
play_louder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2007, 01:32PM »

Lots and lots of water.

And lots of tea.

We have been known to drink an alcohol-free beer - it's brewed in Australia by Coopers, and called 'Birell' (although it's a Swiss recipe licensed from Carslberg). It's actually not too bad, as it's not sweet. I don't usually care for sweet soft drinks (although once in a blue moon I'll have an ice-cold coke).
Labdiscoduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2007, 07:27PM »

Coors and Bud light...    Evil

Jeff Martin- Airmen of Note

http://www.myspace.com/jayhawkjazz
SLewis

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2007, 10:06PM »

I made sonic cherry limeade with diet sprite, lime wedges,ice and cherries on the bottom of the glass.  The teenagers liked it!
I don't like sweet tea or doubly sweet milk shake/candy shakes. 
We also like coke floats with vanilla ice cream.  My husband likes the Wendy's float with chocolate ice cream. 

If hummingbirds were the size of crows,
it wouldn't be safe to go in the woods.
-Ogden Nash
Dave Tatro
The Python's Python

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2007, 09:39AM »

Good topic!

A couple of my current faves:

- 1 packet of low-carb hot chocolate mix to which I had a teaspoon of Splenda and a teaspoon of cocoa, dissolve in hot water, stir, and add a dash of heavy cream. A rich, creamy, low-carb treat.

- A cold glass of good spring water with a wedge of fresh lime added.

For the (very, in my case) occasional sugary indulgence:

- Root beer float, preferably made with high-quality natural root beer and a good vanilla bean ice cream.

- Ginger Beer. I really haven't found any that I don't like, but I tend to stick to the ones that are brewed naturally and sweetened with honey and/or 'cane juice.

- Cranberry juice with a dollop of lime sherbet floating in it. This one is very tasty and refreshing on a hot day.

"He also inevitably discovered the similarities between glass doors and forcefields."- marchingknight
evan51

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:18PM »

I can't vouch for any of the information here, but my GF's school district distributed this to their teachers:

Your choice...........

WATER
1.   75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.   (Likely applies to half the world population.)
2.   In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is mistaken for hunger.
3.   Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as 3%.
4.   One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.
5.   Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
6.    Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
7.    A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.
8.   Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%., and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of water you should drink every day?

COKE
1.    In many states the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.
2.    You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in two days.
3.   To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes
Stains from vitreous China.
4.    To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.
5.   To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.
6.   To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
7.   To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.
8.   To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke into the load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION:
1.   The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric Acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major
Contributor to the rising increase of osteoporosis.
2.   To carry Coca-Cola syrup! (the concentrate) the commercial trucks must use a hazardous Material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.
3.   The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean
Engines of the trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a glass of water?    Or Coke?

Now I know why Coke goes so well with a McDonald's hamburger--it helps remove grease!
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2007, 12:01PM by evan51 » Logged

woulverine
Defender of the Pav

"That shouldnt be there"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2007, 04:19AM »

- Ginger Beer. I really haven't found any that I don't like, but I tend to stick to the ones that are brewed naturally and sweetened with honey and/or 'cane juice.

Down here there is a ginger beer that is made by Bundaberg in Australia. It is the best ginger beer I have come across. It is properly brewed and has a good full bodied flavor.
I have found most other ginger beers are too weak and watery or sugary goop (artificial flavor syrip mixed with carbonated water) and they just don't taste as good.

I have tried naturally brewed organic cola and lemonade sweetened with honey and not really liked it. But the same company makes a organic fruit punch and that is really good.

Ian Wiley

Trombone, Manukau City Concert Band
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2007, 04:24AM »

This stuff - D&G Old Jamaica Ginger Beer - is good (must be the canned rather than bottled product), it's not too sweet and has a really hot gingery bite....

http://www.shoppingfrombritain.com/acatalog/Cold_Drinks.html

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
evan51

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2007, 11:57AM »

This stuff - D&G Old Jamaica Ginger Beer - is good (must be the canned rather than bottled product), it's not too sweet and has a really hot gingery bite....

We have some bottled ginger beer called Reeds that has two or three flavor variations(extra strong, strong and raspberry flavored) that compares well to British ginger beer I've had.

fsgazda

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: Mar 27, 2007, 02:31PM »

COKE
1.    In many states the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.
2.    You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in two days.
3.   To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes
Stains from vitreous China.
4.    To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.
5.   To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.
6.   To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
7.   To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.
8.   To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke into the load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION:
1.   The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric Acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major
Contributor to the rising increase of osteoporosis.
2.   To carry Coca-Cola syrup! (the concentrate) the commercial trucks must use a hazardous Material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.
3.   The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean
Engines of the trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a glass of water?    Or Coke?

Mythbusters tested a lot of these and found that they aren't true.  Still, Coke was probably better for you when it was made with cocaine.  The "real" thing indeed.

Associate Professor of Music, Delaware State University, Dover, DE.
Sanf

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2007, 03:07PM »

I'm pretty sure that ginger beer, when made properly, contains alcohol. Not much though, and the stuff never goes flat if you leave the yeast in, it just ferments a bit more of the sugar.

You may reject this signature, but its ghost will forever haunt your festivals of coercion!

Frank Ng
zemry

"Steve Turre and myself in the French Quarter"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2007, 07:32PM »

LOVE that Sonic Cherry Limeade.  You can make 'em yourself with limeade, Sprite, cherry syrup.

I drink almost no sugar soda any more, but when I did, this was my favorite.

Yup!! I drink the diet one.

There won't come a time when you won't have to practice anymore.........J.J. Johnson

Richard Zemry Johnson, Jr.
Dave Tatro
The Python's Python

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2007, 10:54AM »

We have some bottled ginger beer called Reeds that has two or three flavor variations(extra strong, strong and raspberry flavored) that compares well to British ginger beer I've had.

Yep, Reed's is my brand of choice around here when I can find it. Regretably, I also still have a taste for Sioux City Ginger beer (sugar/corn syrup sweetened, artificially flavored as far as I know) because it is the first ginger beer I ever got hooked on and I drank a bunch of it in college.

"He also inevitably discovered the similarities between glass doors and forcefields."- marchingknight
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: