Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

945123 Posts in 62379 Topics- by 15055 Members - Latest Member: Mycroft221B
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: female trombonists  (Read 19443 times)
fluor

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 25, 2007, 07:11AM »

since nordic trombonists have been mentioned: aline nistad, solo in oslo philharmonic.
BassBoneFL

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 25, 2007, 09:27AM »

Lisa Albrecht - NY freelancer, former San Antonio, NY Phil
Heather Buchmann - former Princ. San Diego Symphony
Julie Josephsen - NY freelancer, former PRISMA
Donna Parkes - Virginia Symphony
Amanda Stewart - San Antonio Symphony
Rebecca Cherian - Pittsburgh Symphony
Jeannie Little - Prof. LSU, former PRISMA
Karna Millen - Albany Symphony
Lynn Mostoller - Former Tulsa Symphony
Lynda Robbins - Bamburg Symphony
Andrea Rowlison - Orlando freelancer, great Jazz and Legit

There are alot out there and more every year !!
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2007, 05:56PM by BassBoneFL » Logged

Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra

S.E. Shires Artist

"Having Yo-Yo Ma give a masterclass to brass players is like hiring Picasso to paint your garage." - Gene Pokorny
BWarner
Formerly Phantom_Boner

"Once more, this time with feeling."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: Mar 25, 2007, 10:41AM »

Jeannie Little - Prof. LSU

yeah... there's always THAT one... xD  gonna be spending quite a bit of time with her over the next 4 years... AMAZING!!  Amazed

Lisa Albrecht - NY freelancer, former San Antonio, NY Phil

again... simply stunning.  wowzers!

there are sxo many successful, blow-your-pants-off playing female 'bones out there... there is no sex divide.  just as you can have an amazing, world-renowned male clarinetist, the archaic sexist classifications in music now NEVER hold true.  i defy you to find a symphony that wouldn't let in a female trombonist if she could hold her own playing-wise.

just my $.02

-stevebrian

BariTrom
worst speller

"why?"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 25, 2007, 11:10AM »

and lets not forget the worlds best female trombonist Gemma Heuer :D
Moohahahaha Evil
Ok, well...maybe not yet :/

Gemma: band geek (w/o the band) cartoonist
*NM AllStateBand: 2007;2008,1st chair
in the mean time...in between time...
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: Mar 25, 2007, 01:44PM »

I'm here.

Not orchestral, and not particularly good, but a female bone player nonetheless.

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
BWarner
Formerly Phantom_Boner

"Once more, this time with feeling."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: Mar 25, 2007, 02:40PM »

I'm here.

Not orchestral, and not particularly good, but a female bone player nonetheless.

nah, you're just modest!

xD

chs2010

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 25, 2007, 02:58PM »

Here in western oklahoma, the best trombone player is a girl...well she's a senior. She made all state orchestra and all state honor band.  Good!

Well i'm not a girl, but i'm not that bad at playing the too too horn :/
janettem
Trombonist,future history PhD

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:24PM »

Let me add Debra Taylor, formerly of the Grant Park Symphony Orchestra (now in New Mexico somewhere I think) and Audrey Morrison, Chicago free-lancer and music educator (Wheaton, Columbia College and North Park University).

I heard that Debra Taylor is teaching here at UNM,but I haven't touched base with her yet. She's also with the New Mexico Symphony Orchestra,and several other groups around Albuquerque.

(Ah yes...that's the life of a history major and full-time working stiff! :D :D)

Who says girls can't play trombone? No one!
SandyMBarrows
Sanctification in Progress

"Professor 'Add Junk'"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:45PM »

Then, there's lil ole me Don't know

Kindest regards, and BLESSED DAY!!
-Sandy
Retired Pilot, Instructor,
Freelance Low Brass DFW Area

Miraphone Soprano, Shires Alto, .547 TruBore, Michael Davis  .495, Bass dependent TruBore, Miraphone CC Contra
DE Mouthpieces/Giddings-Webster
gboneb4
« Reply #29 on: Mar 26, 2007, 08:14PM »

Dr. Jeanie Lee = Awesome
Has played principal with Midland-Odessa Symphony and the Anchorage Symphony. She's teaching at Morehead State University.
davetrombizzle

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Mar 26, 2007, 11:46PM »

My decision to study with Dr. JoDee Davis is one of the best decisions I've ever made.

That being said, I must admit that I've had more females make me doubt my ability on the trombone (read: masculinity) than males.

From a male perspective, I think that the very nature of the trombone (not very effeminate if you ask me) is appealing to some females for that very reason.  They most likely want to play something different than the norm.

There is a source I wanted to pseudo-cite for our concurrence on the matter.  There's a great article: "Girls and Their Trombones," on SandyMcQueen's website that you should read: http://www.sandybarrows.net/id13.html
zemry

"Steve Turre and myself in the French Quarter"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: Mar 27, 2007, 05:25AM »

This is a very nice article. While there, go to Sandy's site on Sibelius. She has some nice scales and warm-ups posted there.......for free!

There won't come a time when you won't have to practice anymore.........J.J. Johnson

Richard Zemry Johnson, Jr.
klimchak

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Mar 27, 2007, 05:29AM »

As far as jazz goes, just a couple that quickly come to my head are Debra Weisz (was playing with the DIVA big band when I saw them a number of years ago), Sarah Morrow (spends a lot of time in France), Melba Liston (older player, no longer with us I believe correct me if I am wrong, but very good player and writer), as well as Jen Krupa (plays in the Navy Commodores). 

Chris Klimchak

Chris Klimchak
Joe_Guarr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: Mar 27, 2007, 10:00AM »

As far as just female low brass players goes, there's Carol Jantsch, who recently won the tuba job out in Philly. Female, and quite young, too (early 20s).

Joe Guarr
--------------------
"Life without music is a mistake." --Nietzsche
BariTrom
worst speller

"why?"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Mar 27, 2007, 12:13PM »

There is a source I wanted to pseudo-cite for our concurrence on the matter.  There's a great article: "Girls and Their Trombones," on SandyMcQueen's website that you should read: http://www.sandybarrows.net/id13.html
Good article, and so vary true. That's one of the things I love the most about low brass instruments is their pure raw power Evil On my euphonium I'm the loudest person in the band :D Though when I chose it the thought never even occurred to me that it was a "Boy" instrument.

Gemma: band geek (w/o the band) cartoonist
*NM AllStateBand: 2007;2008,1st chair
in the mean time...in between time...
VBone

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Mar 27, 2007, 01:48PM »

Because I like to tell little stories of my own: I chose flute over many other instruments initially because I wanted to blend in. Now what draws me to the trombone is it's different, currently we only have on female low brass player. (Although last year we had two killer girl trombone players, they were spectacular one of them was the section leader) And low brass is in short supply.

I enjoyed that article though, tuba would be fun I bet. =) It's always refreshing to hear about good female low brass players. I find they are much more motivated then the males, where I find that male woodwinds (flute and clarinet in particular) are much more motivated then their female counterparts.

Proud Flute and Trombone player.
I have my new bach. =)
cnubandgeek
Barbecue Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Mar 27, 2007, 04:25PM »

As far as just female low brass players goes, there's Carol Jantsch, who recently won the tuba job out in Philly. Female, and quite young, too (early 20s).

I just saw her at the ETW playing with the rest of the Pilly low brass.  What a fantastic player!  And it blows my mind that she's a couple years younger than me (won the job at the age of 20!!).

Doing my best to increase my collection of shiny things....
D Gibson
« Reply #37 on: Mar 27, 2007, 05:03PM »

It's too bad that this topic heading is seemingly warranted.  I'm pretty sure that none of us could hear the lack of a "y" chromosome coming out of the bell.  In fact, would we start a topic called "gay trombonists" or "trombonists of color"...????  It's really too bad.

DG
BobCochran
« Reply #38 on: Mar 27, 2007, 05:43PM »

D Gibson, what the heck is your point?  What's too bad?  Women trombonists are a minority and it's good that this thread is generating more awareness of who some of them are.

Gunhild Carling!

By the way, anyone know any gay trombonists, or trombonists of color?  Willing to start threads?

I'm a trombonist of color!  Kind of a pinkish light flesh color!
WaltTrombone
Former Titler of Teh Bick!

"Ein Prosit, ein Prosit, der Gemütlichkeit!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: Mar 27, 2007, 06:50PM »

I kinda see Dave's point, good is good, no matter what your mix of body parts, but the thread was started by a young lady. I would venture to guess that she is not exposed to many other female trombonists, especially those who play at a high level of ability. I dare say that it's never uncalled-for to recognize pioneers and standard bearers, no matter what their gender is. Still, for a young lady, it's gotta be reassuring to know that other women are playing to high standards, and that it's ok NOT to play a so-called girlie instrument.

Walter Barrett
http://www.walterbarrett.com/
Yamaha Artist/Clinician
Alto, Tenor, Bass Trombones
Bass Trumpet
Euphonium, Tuba
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: