Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087047 Posts in 71973 Topics- by 19232 Members - Latest Member: Bach to the future
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brass Trio  (Read 1182 times)
Meister Ede

View Profile
« on: Mar 25, 2007, 05:14AM »

Just managed to get a Brass Quartet (2 Trp, Hrn, Tbn) going. While one of the trumpets has limited time for rehearsals I am looking for Trio arrangements (Trp, Hrn, Tbn), which are fun to play and listen, but managable by ambitious amateurs. I would be grateful for any recommendations.

Cheers
Ede
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2007, 08:06AM »

There are a huge number of trios for Tpt-Horn-Trombone.

Probably the most famous (and fun to play) is the Poulenc.  It is playable by amateurs but there are challenges even for pros.

If you go to Robert King Music (http://www.rkingmusic.com) you should be able to find lots of stuff for 111.00 (1 trumpet, 1 horn, 1 trombone, no baritone, no tuba).  I have a thick book of these -- lots of transcriptions from Renaissance and Rococo composers like Marini, Bianchi, Melchior Franck, etc.

Hope this helps some.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Meister Ede

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2007, 09:54AM »

Thanks Bruce, I browsed already in catalogues and saw a lot of sheets for sale. I have had a look at the Poulenc scores before, it would be a bit tough for us (at the moment!?). Problem with titles in catalogues is, you get no impression if the arrangements are really cool or if its a downsized transcription of a pice which might sound sheit when played. So I hope for someone coming up saying "whow, thats a cool piece, try that". Then I would be keen to go shopping. Is the book you mention something of that kind?
Cheers
Ede

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2007, 11:03AM »

My "thick book" is something I made putting together parts so we can play.

There are two "books" that I can suggest called "Trios for Brass".  Published by Hal Leonard and edited by Marcellus, they are published in score form, with 3 Bb parts, or 3 Bass Clef (untransposed) parts.  Your Horn player is going to have to transpose one way or another.  You can buy a book of each type and even try letting the trombone play melody for a change!  There are also Quartet books by Marcellus published the same way for your full quartet.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Todd Jonz
Department of Redundancy Department

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2007, 11:18AM »

I've been playing tpt/tbn/horn trios once a week with a couple of friends since January, and had asked for repertoire suggestions a few months back in another thread.  You'll find a summary of the recommendations in the first post in that thread.  Our trio is currently working on the Poulenc and the Beethoven; I had also ordered the Frackenpohl, but it was out of stock at Hickey's when I placed my order.

Have you registered at TromboneChat.com yet?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: