Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

950637 Posts in 62823 Topics- by 15211 Members - Latest Member: thetromboneyguy
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: greg waits, tbone62) Holton Super Collegiate Trombones
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Holton Super Collegiate Trombones  (Read 3137 times)
tromboneadvocate

""You Like my Hat!!"

View Profile
« on: Jun 14, 2007, 12:21PM »

Hey, Gang: I just came upon a Holton Super Collegiate trombone. I have not found much info on these horns on the 'Net, so I'm inquiring of fellow bone-heads if they have played this horn and if you currently have one, I'd like to hear of your thoughts on this instrument. Personally, I like it. Holton has a very good reputation, and just suspect of companies that merge. I wonder how good their post-LeBlanc instruments are? Perhaps better in the Pro category than 'student' models???

Appreciate the feedback very much!
Euphanasia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2007, 12:35PM »

There were several different Super Collegiate models. I own a brass throat/nickel bell and two copper throat/nickel bell horns. I wouldn't consider them to be pro horns. They're a step above beginner horns, with a lot of good characteristics. They don't overblow and the sound is much warmer than a lot of other .485 horns. I've never really been knocked out by either configuration. I take them out and play them once in awhile, since I have this crazy notion that horns that look really cool should play really well. So far, here's what I've figured out with the five coolest-looking horns I own:

Olds Super: Yep
Getzen Super Deluxe: Nope
Conn 44H Vocabell: Yep
Holton Super Collegiate: Nope
Conn Coprion: Yep
tromboneadvocate

""You Like my Hat!!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2007, 12:40PM »

HMMMM. This plays like a medium bore horn. I thought it was at least a .500 bore. Fairly sure it's a .485 ????

There is no information on the 'Net about these horns, and inquiring minds want to know (LOL).
Bandgeek832

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2007, 02:27PM »

I found this while paroozing the Net. It details Holton's history from 1898 to 1920. I believe they started making the Collegiate models in the 30's. Before that was the Revelation models, which is described in the booklet:

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/turningpoints/search.asp?id=1211

Someone mentioned this, "The Collegiate line was developed in the 1930s as a budget line of brasses for school band programs."

If you want to date it, here's a list of serial numbers:

http://www.musictrader.com/holton.html

Bach 42BO w/ Yammie 51C4-GP, Schilke M5.1
Studying with: Dr. Wickham at University of Northern Colorado
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: