Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

944604 Posts in 62299 Topics- by 15049 Members - Latest Member: Blazineuph97
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Juilliard audition with piano???  (Read 1608 times)
Bradpet

View Profile
« on: Jun 30, 2007, 10:55AM »

For anyone who has done the Juilliard Trombone audition in the last couple of years...

Did you do your piece/concerto with piano?  Did you have a rehearsal with the pianist prior (night before, same day, etc)?  The audition requirements seem a little generic. 
Thanks,
Brad
bassmanTX
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2007, 12:01PM »

I did not use anything with piano.  I figured that was my best bet to not have to hire someone and pay for them to fly with me to play a short 5-10min. audition and then head over to Manhattan School and do the same thing.
I played a good amount of excerpts, and 2 etudes and I was out.
sfboner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2007, 01:08PM »

It's pretty rare to use accompanists for college auditions.  The only time I did so was audtitioning for doctoral programs.  I hired a pianist from the school where I was auditioning, sent the music out ahead of time, and rehearsed the day before the audition.
TimS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2007, 03:35PM »

Juilliard supplies pianists for the auditions.  I auditioned there a couple years ago, and used one of their student pianists.  I was playing the Tomasi.  We had a rehearsal the night before and he was completely prepared, and nailed everything.

It was the only school where I played with accompaniment.

Tim Shneier
Boston-area freelancer
Brian Santero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2007, 10:03AM »

Juilliard likes people to play accompanied. Not because it sounds better, but it shows if you're a listener. I auditioned with my accompanist at the time, who is also a Juilliard staff accompanist. But all the guys who do the auditions know a ton of the rep. I've even heard first hand "What piece do you want me to accompany you on?" "Oh, well I'm doing the Hindemith, I hope that's ok" "Sure!! I LOVE playing the Hindemith, it's so fun!" Crazy pianists...

Usually you can do it the same day or the night before. They're all really good and really professional (at least the accompanists I've played with), you'll always be able to figure something out.

But yes, try and use an accompanist, it's not every day you get to play with one.

Tenor, Alto Trombonist

Practice makes permanent.
cnubandgeek
Barbecue Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2007, 10:42AM »

When I auditioned as an undergrad, I had an accompanist but no one else did (brought my own).  But then, it was a small liberal arts school, certainly not Julliard. At the same time, I learned a lot from working with him and I think it was a good idea.  Of course, if it means buying a second plane ticket and all that, that might be a bit much for an undergrad audition. But that's just my opinion.

Doing my best to increase my collection of shiny things....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: