Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1096403 Posts in 72513 Topics- by 19533 Members - Latest Member: marymsmith
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: King 1506N  (Read 1498 times)
Phil B

View Profile
« on: Jul 11, 2001, 09:00AM »

Does anyone own or have knowledge of King's 1506N?  Is it a step up horn?  It is a .500, 8" bell, nickel (slide?) and the classic curved bell brace.

Phil B.
kingbone

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2001, 09:06AM »

Phil ... have you been on EBay on company time?     I believe the 1506 is another name for the King Tempo or Tempo II, which became the 606. That curved bell brace throws me, though. I thought this was on only the King pro horns.  Made in the mind-80s according to the serial #. Eric Swanson, who frequents Trombone-L, may know about this one. You could post there and see what the listers turn up. BTW, the "N" means the whole horn is nickel plated.
Phil B

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2001, 12:11AM »

Yes,  I admit it.  E-Bay on company time!  But then, I own the company, and there aren't any employees. So there is no one to yell at me or be imfluenced by my poor example.

I had concluded the 1506N was a Tempo after I posted.  Looks like a nice student horn though.  And brand new!

Phil B.
kingbone

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2001, 06:33AM »

The 606 is a wonderful horn for the money, so I imagine the 1506 will be the same. And of course there's that curved brace!  I was thinking of taking apair of pliers to the brace on my 88H..  
Bearlegdairy
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2004, 08:38PM »

While I know this is a very old post, I saw this item on the eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2375053870&category=16216 Is this a student horn or a professional? Is it really identical to the 2B and would it be worth purchasing?
Dan H.
He doesn't know how to put this, but he's kind of a big deal

"Conquer the devils with a little thing called love"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2004, 04:53AM »

The (curved brace) King Tempo has the same bell as a 2B, but the bell itself is made out of nickle-silver, and is also nickle plated, of course. The outer slide on the tempo is a lightweight brass, as opposed to nickle silver, and the bore on the tempo is a straight .491 bore - not a dual bore like the 2B.

I believe that the tempo was designed as some sort of an intermediate horn, and I have seen the same instrument also known the King "Jazz trombone." It makes a fine pro horn for lead or 2nd parts in jazz bands though, and has a great projection due to the nickle silver bell.

I play on a Tempo bell with a very old King Superior slide as my jazz setup and it works very well. You can occassionally find the old Tempo horns on Ebay, and they often go very cheap, but i wouldn't bid above a few hundred for one, because rarely do they ever go for much.

- Daniel Havranek
Dan H.
He doesn't know how to put this, but he's kind of a big deal

"Conquer the devils with a little thing called love"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2004, 04:55AM »

Oh, I forgot to mention the Tempo II, which is made of the same materials as the original Tempo model, but has an identical bell section profile as a King 3B. The bore on the Tempo 2 is .500, where the 3B bore is .508

- Daniel Havranek
andybarber

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2004, 09:46AM »

I have a King 1506 Tempo that I played in high school...back in the early "80s.  I wish I could remember what the other trombonists played, but this horn was the best in the section.  I was first chair and got Superior ratings in District and State Solo/Ensemble contest, and I think that this horn was instrumental (no pun intended).  I think this is a great horn, and I'm really loving getting started playing again with it!

Andy Barber
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: