Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1072812 Posts in 71143 Topics- by 18855 Members - Latest Member: Disco
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: greg black mouthpieces  (Read 2100 times)
sleepy_trb

View Profile
« on: Jul 02, 2007, 07:22PM »

Hi!
I had email the company several times but they never reply ...maybe somebody can help me here
I had try 2 mouthpiece from them
the 5GS and the 6.5 AL
I really like the cup diameter of the 6.5 al but it was not enough deep
the deep to the 5 GS was perfect  but the cup diameter too big
on the website they say that the 6.5al and the 5gs have a medium cup deep but it was not the reality...they are totally dufferent to that point
so the 6GS I supposed to be Medium
the 6g-5G medium deep and the
6G deep
http://www.gregblackmouthpieces.com/trombonespecs.htm
wich one do you think i should get?
thanks
Julie (they don't sell any in canada, so it cost me a lot to try them)
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2007, 06:29PM by sleepy_trb » Logged

i'm a pirate
john jenkins

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2007, 06:05AM »

Hey Julie! Good to see you're doing well. :-P

The cups of the 6.5AL and the 5GS are the same, but since the rim on the 5GS is .4mm larger than the 6.5AL, the overall cup volume was increased. When it comes to tenor trombone rim sizes, .4mm is pretty significant, and will definitely be noticeable. I strongly recommend (based on what you've typed) that you try the 6G-5G, as it has a rim diameter that is comfortable for you and the 5G cup will be just what you need, without being too deep.

I see that your taste in mouthpieces is taking after your teacher, eh? :) with the small rim diameters and deep cups. I believe the 6G-5G is the way to go.

Take care!

~John
griffinben

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2007, 07:14AM »

Hi John,

I hate to do it, but i gotta disagree with you on the cups being the same.  I have both the 6 1/2al and the 5GS and the cups are different (to the silly putty test and calipers!)  The 6 1/2 has a slightly more funnel, taapering in more immediately than the 5GS.

More signifigant i think is probably the backbore.  I do not have adequate tools to comment on it, but I do think there is a difference.

He does make a 6GS.

I've been meaning to call him to have a mouthpiece made for me (Including that terrific 5GS backbore, locks in to any horn soooo well).  When I get a hold of him, I'll mention your predicament.  Of course you might catch him before i do...

-Ben

john jenkins

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2007, 07:39AM »

Hi John,

I hate to do it, but i gotta disagree with you on the cups being the same.  I have both the 6 1/2al and the 5GS and the cups are different (to the silly putty test and calipers!)  The 6 1/2 has a slightly more funnel, taapering in more immediately than the 5GS.

More signifigant i think is probably the backbore.  I do not have adequate tools to comment on it, but I do think there is a difference.

He does make a 6GS.

I've been meaning to call him to have a mouthpiece made for me (Including that terrific 5GS backbore, locks in to any horn soooo well).  When I get a hold of him, I'll mention your predicament.  Of course you might catch him before i do...

-Ben

No problem at all, Ben! My naked eyes are no match for mechanics and volumetrics by means of putty. :) I still would go with the 6G-5G if I were Julie, though, as I think that's what she's looking for. She said that the cup of the 5GS was "perfect" for her, but if she were to down-size the rim diameter by .4mm, then the cup volume will definitely lessen. So, I believe that going a cup size larger to a Medium Deep will definitely counterbalance the rim diameter/cup volume decrease. Do you see what I'm getting at?
griffinben

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2007, 08:28AM »

I still would go with the 6G-5G if I were Julie, though, as I think that's what she's looking for. She said that the cup of the 5GS was "perfect" for her, but if she were to down-size the rim diameter by .4mm, then the cup volume will definitely lessen. So, I believe that going a cup size larger to a Medium Deep will definitely counterbalance the rim diameter/cup volume decrease. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Yes I totally see what you're getting at, and it makes a lot of sense.  Like the Elliott XT/LT/MT/ST series...different cup volume. 

The only minor other thing would be however a possible issue of how much further the lips protrued in to the mouthpiece with that extra .4mm.  More chop (From a more curved dental structure) in the mouthpiece is less volume.  I'm not sure how that would work out.  Doug????

Could go either way.  Or better yet, cash in the CD and buy both!

-Ben
schiffko

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2007, 01:05PM »

try the greg black 6G or the karl hammond 13L Idea!

a new mouthpiece solves all problems for three weeks...that is why I switch every TWO!!!
Jeb Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2007, 02:29PM »

hey Ben

I've been playing my GB 6 1/2 AL just lately (let's see, where'd I get that one) with my 78H and was in fact wondering about a different backbore ... is the 5GS backbore bigger? sounds like you like it better than the 6 1/2 AL backbore, yes? do you think that backbore would work well with the 6 1/2 AL rim/cup?

--Jeb
sleepy_trb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2007, 06:22PM »

Ok...I just Found a Bach 5GS on the used mouthpiece of the music store here and it works perfect....its what I was looking for...and i had save a lot of money!!!
and for john...
I just have been admitted to the Rotterdam muic conservatory...
I will be studying with jorgen van rijen, pierre volders, goerge Wiegel and Ben van dijk!
I was playing on a Marcinkiewicz 47md
after my audtion there I get some lessons with the teachers...and you know what?
I have to change my mouthpiece!
anything I want but 5G (Bach size) is too big
so thats why...
Alain never really told me to change of mouthpiece...exept the day where I went to my lesson with a monette mouthpiece :-P
Jeb- I think of the 6 1/2 al of GB is just a little bit too small on the cup depth and the backbore is actually a little smaller than the 5
I'm not sure if you change only the backbore...its still a not so big mouthpiece and if you make the backbore longer it could be stange...I think
thanks!
Julie

i'm a pirate
griffinben

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2007, 08:58AM »

Hi Jeb,

Yeah I wonder...I think I've become a mouthpiece pimp!

OK, the 5GS backbore certainly feels different to me...though I won't say anything for certain as the there is a lot of difference in the cups...but usually it seems to be the backbore that determines so much about how the mouthpiece gets along with horn (to my experience...cup depth and shape, how it feels in the sound, but you can feel when a mouthpiece just mqates right up with a horn..that seems to be backbore...Doug???).

I don't know about the cup of the GB 6 1/2 matching up with the 5GS backbore...they seem to be two different mission.  The 5GS has more of a bowl shaped cup (Which I tend to like more) while the 6 1/2 has more of a V.  Zippy versus bouncy.  Don't know how they'd match up.  I want a slightly narrower inner rim diameter, an overall wider rim, and a slightly shallower, more bowl shaped cup than the GB 6 1/2 with a similar to 5GS backbore (is that asking too much?).  If I get a hold of him, I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers!
-Ben

wwwShadow7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2007, 08:52PM »

I like the Bach 5GS.  I never really liked the 6 1/2AL of any brand.  I recently got a G&W Harry Watters and it's based off of a 6 1/2AL, but feels like a 5GS.  Maybe it's the smoothness of stainless steel, the rounded rim, or the larger backbore that makes it NOT feel like a 6 1/2.  But I like it as my current tenor trombone desires to be played with something smaller than a 5GS, while I desire to play a 5GS.  I've heard good things about the GB pieces.  Hopefully I'll get to try one without buying it first someday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: