Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080563 Posts in 71520 Topics- by 19056 Members - Latest Member: Coleman25
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: wisdom teeth issues?  (Read 10875 times)
KevinHickey

View Profile WWW
« on: Jul 06, 2007, 09:51PM »

Hi all,

I will be getting my wisdom teeth removed in September and I was just wondering: Will this have any long term effects om my playing or will it only be weird for like a few weeks?
anyone know how this works, or have experience playing after having them removed?

<edit: Title and misc. spelling errors fixed by Moderator>
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2007, 07:59AM by BGuttman » Logged
SilverBone
Put the Cool in "Coulisse!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2007, 10:26PM »

There were no longterm effects for me.  It was too painful to play for a while, though.

-Howard

The nastiest fellow I've known
Smashed his trombone and ruined its tone.
There's a simple excuse
For his slush pump abuse:
He was born to be bad to the bone.
Sibelius2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2007, 06:36AM »

Good info found here...

http://www.hornplayer.net/archive/a48.html

and here...

http://www.hornplayer.net/archive/a257.html

Just pretend it says Trombone.  :)

Resident horn player
BWarner
Formerly Phantom_Boner

"Once more, this time with feeling."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2007, 07:09AM »

hmm.

i had my wisdom teeth (all 4 of 'em) taken out at the beginning of this year.  they were impacted, had to do it, etc. etc. etc.

however, there was a problem - timing.  within a week of taking them out, i had to do a college audition at my (by far) top choice school.

that.  sucked.

don't worry about any negative side effects, at least not in the long term.  the only risk is that you'll get what's called a 'dry socket'.  it's really rare, and as long as you take care of your mouth for that critical period afterwards, you'll be fine.

realize that it'll hurt for a few days (even up to a week or two).  don't do something stupid, like play in the first couple of days.  as soon as your mouth feels relatively okay (no sooner than 3-5 days, longer if necessary), you can play on the horn.  just play it safe - play soft, play smart.  i would recommend just doing some long tones and some nice, easy mid-range lip slurs to really just keep up the chops.  you don't really need to do anything more than that.

be careful - they'll most likely prescribe you a blue mouthrinse (chlorhexadine)  i recommend NOT USING IT.  besides it being an antibiotic, and that being awful for your system in the first place, it will stain your teeth blue, and will wreak havok on your entire body.  get an oral rinse like one listed at the bottom of this post.  plus, use a salt-water mix every 3 hours or so, and you should be fine.  talk with your surgeon about this.  also, look up a holistic practitioner that can give you some more info on the entire procedure. 

they'll probably give you a cool little chart about what to do / what not to do.  here's a link to one i found online, in case they either don't, or give you a bad one (i had a really good surgeon, i don't know if you'll be as lucky.)  http://www.tricountyoms.com/surgical/post-operative.html  i quickly skimmed it, and it looks pretty good.  so give it a read over.  if you want, do a search one 'post-operative wisdom teeth surgery', or something to that effect, and you may come up with some more.

some personal experience notes:

you WILL swell.  you WILL look like a chipmunk.  your face WILL look discolored.  don't expect to have a glamour shot in the next week or two - it won'T happen.  just realizew this upfront.  the odd colors will come from a mixture of the drugs and bruising, so may appear rather unnatural.  of course it's unnatural - all surgery is unnatural.  however, it's necessary.  my point being, don't worry about the swelling and the weird colors on your face.  you'll be fine.

bleeding is normal.  you should bleed on and off for the first couple of days.  just keep something on it, and you'll be alright.  if it hurts badly, take some tylenol or ibuprofen.  they may prescribe you some, but some high-dose stuff at the store should be fine.  i didn't have that much pain, so i was alright there.  (i also don't like to take medicine of any kind.  it wasn't enough pain where i needed any after the first 6-8 hours or so.

when you get home, go to sleep.  you'll feel much better after you've had a LOOONG nap or two.

eat well afterwards.  notice i said well, not alot.   eat healthy, and eat natural.  you'll be glad that you did.

in place of the little white paddings (gauze) they give you to bite down on to minimize swelling and to keep pressure on to stop the bleeding, i recommend finding a type of tea you like (try to find a non-caffeinated one), and use a teabag.  it's tastier, and has the added bonus of you getting the health effects of the tea leaves and herbs.  (did i mention it was tasty?)  plus, much more comfortable.

as soon as you feel well enough to, play on the horn some.  don't worry about anything breaking in you mouth.  don't do much in the first couple of days of your playing besides low-mid longtones and some slow lip slurs.  if you play SMART, your playing and chops / mouth will be back to 90-95% withing 3-4 weeks.

if a stitch or suture comes out, you're okay.  no problem.  as long as it's not like in the first day or so, you'll be alright.

that's all i can think of at the moment.  if you want any more info, just ask.  be glad to help.

do you know the surgeon who will be operating on you?  is he good?  make sure you get solid recommendations if you don't know they guy/woman.  the most important and critical part of the surgery is, after all, the surgery, so make sure you have someone you can trust working on yout.  also, i emphasized that i was a trombone player and had a rather vested interest in the outcome of my operation.  don't know if it helped, but i really wanted to make sure.)

(btw... i got in the school i wanted, and with a full ride, even a week after the surgery.  it won't be a problem... just, if possible, get better timing than i did.  i had to do it when i did, for my insurance to pay for it.)

all of this above info is for if you even do want to do the surgery in the first place.

please read this below information.  realiye that i AM NOT pressuring this on YOU, or ANYONE ELSE.  i am simply offering you another viewpoint, one which i have personally researched and personally found to be intuitively, logically, and spiritually valid.  it is up to you and anyone else to accept or reject this information, although i do urge you to not outrightly reject it before considering it and researching it yourself.  if you still want to do this operation, use the info i posted above.  i recommend the holistic approach, and somewhat regret not doing so.  (i did not know this info at the time.)  again, i recommend you contact a holistic practitioner, found in your local phone book, or at some places online.

in connection with a personal wellness plan, or for any great health info, consider going to naturalcures.com.  this is by far the most comprehensive source for health considerations, in my experience.  they do offer a free book offer, or you may be able to purchase the book at some select stores.

some related passages:

from dr. steven green's website, antiagingdentist.com:

Q.    What about mouthwashes?

A.  Most mouthwashes contain the irritant, alcohol, and are mildly carcinogenic.  Listerine and other products with a similar list of ingredients have had success in studies at reducing markers of gum disease.  Chlorhexidine is an antibiotic approved for oral use.  It is in Peridex and PerioGard.  Chlorhexidine stains the teeth.  I favor water based herbal mouthwashes based on herbs and essential oils, which keep the breath sweeter longer.  Widely available is The Natural Dentist, Herbal Mouth and Gum Therapy, Daily Oral Rinse from Woodstock Natural Products, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, (800) 827-5617.  Available only from your dentist, is my favorite antiseptic mouth rinse (it will also clear the sinuses), again from the Dental Herb Company, Tooth & Gum Tonic.

Q.  What am I looking for in a dentist?

A.     Look for a doctor that will listen.  Does he ask you what you eat? Hope for a doctor that will teach.  You may just want to be fixed and left alone.  Choose any technician for that.  A real professional will want to help you find the path to balance.  Your doctor should be encouraging awareness and growth in the office staff.  Check the emotional atmosphere in the office.

Dentists or hygienists using ultrasonic devices for cleaning the teeth should finish with a hand scaler, which lets them feel and remove the remaining tartar.  If the scaling does not hurt at all, it may be too light.  If the scaling hurts too much, you may have exhausted your antioxidants.  Do not hesitate to ask for vitamin C, a lighter touch or analgesic aids.

Q.  Should I have my wisdom teeth removed?

A.  Wisdom teeth are the third molars.  Wisdoms are very variable and tend to erupt after age seventeen.  Teething difficulties (pain, red swollen gums, fretfulness, irritability, sleep disturbances, facial rash, lack of appetite and bowel changes) usually occur when one is exhausted from “burning the candle at both ends.”  Since the inflammatory process is used to erupt teeth, teething can be thought of as a “stress test” for immune and inflammatory balance.  People respond with great differences during the eruption of teeth. 

Similar shedding and expulsion also occurs during the menses.  The premenstrual time is also a time of heightened inflammatory response.  Menstruating women benefit from this natural monthly awareness check of hormonal and inflammatory systems.  Use the pain protocol; extra vitamin C, vitamin E, magnesium, vegetables and essential fats are best emphasized. Teething symptoms occur when the inflammatory forces overwhelm exhausted detoxifying systems.  This is not the perfect time for an elective surgery!  Surgery puts more poisons in the body and compromises digestion.   Listen to your body.  Clean up your “act.”  Check out the remedies for teething pain in Chapter 5.

Wisdom teeth DO NOT cause the crowding of the front teeth that usually occurs ages eighteen to twenty-two.  A late growth spurt of the mandible does that.  Growth spurts of the head occur all during adult life.  The average head grows vertically six millimeters between ages twenty-five and thirty-five.  Wisdom teeth move during facial growth spurts, as do the other teeth.  Early in my career, believing that erupting wisdom teeth caused crowding, I removed third molars on five youngsters in their middle teens to preserve the perfect alignment of their straight front teeth.  Within the next three to five years, without their wisdom teeth, crowding of the front teeth still occurred.

Q.    Is there ever a time when removal of third molars is indicated?

A.  Upper third molars sometimes erupt into the webbing, just where the jaw opens and closes.  This creates a painful problem, with removal of the tooth often the best answer.  An erupting upper wisdom tooth is generally a simple tooth to lever out, even for a general dentist.  There is minimal surgical liability, and generally quick and complete healing.

Lower wisdom teeth generally present a greater surgical challenge and significantly more “delayed healing” problems.  There is risk of permanent damage to the jaw joint ligament and disc assembly, especially if general anesthetic is chosen.  If you give it a chance, most often the body will accommodate a tipped, crowded lower molar.  Get some regular sleep for healing and repair.  Eat green vegetables and richly pigmented fruits and vegetables.

Try irrigating puffy gums with warm salt water.  Apply a poultice of raw pineapple, papaya (even papain chewables), onions or garlic, even a moist tea bag.  Essential oils such as myrrh, tea tree, and cloves, even lavender can be dabbed directly.  Propolis tincture, bilberry or hawthorn extracts, goldenseal and white oak bark tea can be rinsed over the area.  Homeopathic belladonna is useful for wisdom tooth pain and ache with pressure.  Homeopathic camomilla or hypericum are useful for nerve pain, especially after extraction.  Arnica is perhaps the most famous homeopathic remedy for trauma and limiting bruising.

Surgery or not, bromelain, papain, and animal pancreatic enzymes limit the spread of inflammation, reduce pain and speed healing.  For best effect, take these proteolytic enzymes in liberal quantities, preferably before meals, with enough water to move them through an empty stomach.

from http://www.newstarget.com/001108.html

n a groundbreaking report from the British Medical Journal, researchers who poured over thousands of studies detailing the efficacy of medical and dental procedures have concluded that many popular surgical procedures are completely worthless. Among those is one of the most common procedures performed by your dentist: the removal of so-called "impacted" wisdom teeth. According to the BMJ, this procedure may actually do more harm than good.

I don't trust dentists. I've long suspected dentists of scaring patients into undergoing unnecessary procedures in order to generate more business. My suspicions were confirmed when I visited a dentist in 2001 for a basic checkup. After taking dental x-rays (another health hazard, as new research is showing), my dentist fed me a scare story about how I still had all my wisdom teeth, and that all those teeth needed to be surgically removed. I was absolutely stunned. My wisdom teeth were working just fine: no cavities, no pain, no problems. I had made an appointment for a routine checkup, not to undergo expensive surgery for my wisdom teeth. But my dentist insisted, relying on a variety of scare tactics to try to convince me to undergo this expensive -- and completely unnecessary -- procedure. His behavior was highly unethical. He was using his authority and position as "the dentist" to try to scare me into accepting a surgical procedure that I quite obviously didn't need. In fact, even he couldn't give me a good reason for justifying the surgery other than to say, "We usually remove the wisdom teeth quite early." Which means, of course, that they just order the surgery for every child or teenager who walks into the clinic, regardless of whether they actually need it.

Now, it turns out, the removal of wisdom teeth has been found to be an utterly worthless procedure to begin with. It "may do more harm than good" says the British Medical Journal, after reviewing literally thousands of case studies. So the typical dentist is really just hyping a useless procedure, and if your dentist is anything like the dentist I encountered, they're also using all sorts of highly unethical scare tactics to try to force people into undergoing the procedure. That's downright evil, and yet it's a common practice among dentists in the United States.

Folks, you need to start questioning your dentist. Don't believe everything they tell you. Most of the time, they're full of bunk, or they're just trying to sell you on whatever procedure they get paid for performing. They're not all evil -- many actually believe these procedures will help you, which is why they seem so sincere -- but they are misinformed. Their beliefs are based on medical dogma, not scientific fact. Their beliefs in these procedures are nothing more than a sort of medical pathology, where certain things are just considered "true" and never questioned even though the original basis for accepting them as truth has been proven entirely false.

In the vast majority of cases, you will be healthier and wiser by ignoring the advice of your doctor or dentist and seeking out a naturopathic doctor or other healer. In fact, it's very important to avoid allowing a doctor or dentist to even hit you with a scare story or other manipulation tactic, because most people will just go right along with their advice even when it makes no sense. People don't question medical authorities as much as they should. And dentists know it. They know that most patients will just go ahead and agree to practically anything they recommend. That makes a situation where fraud and exploitation of patients is frighteningly easy to accomplish. Any dentist that wants to generate more revenues for their office can simply start recommending an expensive surgical procedure as "standard practice" and claim, "we always take those teeth out." It might be complete hogwash, but most people -- absurdly -- will buy into it. Don't let that person be you. Keep your dentist honest. Better yet, seek out a "natural" dentist who won't use mercury fillings or highly toxic fluoride, and who will turn to surgery as a last resort rather than a "standard procedure." Don't be tricked into unnecessary (and medically dangerous) surgical procedures that can only cause you harm.

With this attitude, I'm happy to say that I now have eight more teeth than most other people -- those are eight wisdom teeth that many dentists try to remove from the mouths of everyone else. Yes, I feel wiser for keeping them. And no, they don't cause me any problems at all. Go figure.

By the way, I found another dentist who agreed to remove my mercury fillings, but only after calling me a fool for my "outrageous" belief that mercury was somehow dangerous. (Are these dentists for real?) That's what it takes to be a modern dentist: you have to be a complete idiot who has no concept of neurotoxicity, no ethics, and no hesitation twisting the arms of patients into undergoing dangerous procedures. I know this doesn't characterize all dentists, but it sure does describe the vast majority of them.

from http://www.byregion.net/cgibin/users/profiles.pl?username=mickidds

No, I don't take out wisdom teeth. And don't recommend it to my patients. Why ? Because they are completing the total of 32 teeth ( joints in periodontal spaces) to fulfill support of the vertebral column through all 32 vertebral joints in inter-vertebral spaces. So, unless you consciously would like to become a cripple, no wisdom tooth has to be taken out !!! Otherwise your life will become a misery.

also, http://www.holistichealthsource.com/Functional%20jaw%20orthopedics.htm.

-brian

ps.  hate to be the bugger about spelling, but it might be good for future searches.  wisdom.  mod?  :)

peace.

Brian Warner
huh?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:49AM »

I am getting my wisdom teeth removed next wednesday :cry:.
I dont do well at the dentist. kind of a fobia.
All  was well with my feelings on the surgery until I found that, because of my sleep apnea, the surgeon was not going to use anesthesia, but rather simply sedate me. they say that I wont remember the surgery afterwards, but Im still worried about the operation itself (pain, discomfort).
Anyone have thier wisdom teeth taken out without anesthesia?

life is music
brian7599

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2007, 08:24AM »

don't worry about any negative side effects, at least not in the long term.  the only risk is that you'll get what's called a 'dry socket'.  it's really rare, and as long as you take care of your mouth for that critical period afterwards, you'll be fine.

That is not entirely true.  There is a risk of long term damage when operating on the lower wisdom teeth.  When I was 24 my father suggested that we go to an oral surgeon to evaluate my wisdom teeth because that was the last year I was going to be on his dental plan.  My wisdom teeth on the bottom are impacted and the ones on the top are just hung up a little on the the other teeth.  I was apprehensive about having surgery because I had heard numerous horror stories about brass players  having significant problems with their playing afterwards.  However, this surgeon came very highly recommended from several sources so I went in for a consultation.  After taking x-rays and examining my teeth, he told me that he would like to go ahead with the surgery and just remove the wisdom teeth despite the fact that they were not causing me any pain or discomfort because impacted teeth at some point usually do need to be removed at some point.  So I explained that I was a trombone player, that this was my career (I was a year into my DMA at that point), and I wanted to know any side effects that this operation might have on my playing. 

He explained that there is a nerve which runs along the jaw below the teeth and connects to the bottom lip.  If this nerve gets touched or damaged during surgery, the bottom lip could go numb for hours to years to permanently.  He said that sometimes he can actually see the nerve at the bottom of the hole left by the tooth.  Long term to permanent numbness is rare.  I can't remember what the percentage was exactly.  So we discussed it a little.  I finally asked him, given the same percentage of complication, if he were me would he elect for surgery if it could result in say blindness or something else where he would have to give up his career.  He responded, "Oh, no not a chance."  He said later on they may start to irritate me and that I could just remove them at that time.  There is no problem with waiting until they become an issue.   

That was 7 years ago, my teeth still do not bother me.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't have them taken out.  As soon as mine become an issue, I'm going to find the best surgeon available to me and just have them taken out.  I just wanted to correct some misinformation, as per my discussion with  a surgeon.  I think however it is a good idea to know how to have a conversation with your doctors and dentists before having anything done that could affect your playing if you are a college student or a professional musician.       
Orestes
Bone Vivant

"Bone Vivant"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2007, 09:45PM »

Anyone have their wisdom teeth taken out without anesthesia?

Yes, I had one taken out with just your basic local. (you know the foot long needle  Eeek!} It wasn't too bad. The worst part of having Wisdom Teeth taken out is the two to three days afterward anyway. I wasn't playing my trombone regularly then, so I couldn't say how it would affect playing. It would probably make you're jaw hurt worse.

Galen McQuarrie

"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win.  Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins. This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins."  Dizzy Gillespie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: