Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

953624 Posts in 62904 Topics- by 15328 Members - Latest Member: ASEOFF
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentMouthpieces(Moderators: BGuttman, Doug Elliott) Trombone Mouthpiece Comparison Site
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trombone Mouthpiece Comparison Site  (Read 18585 times)
dwerden

View Profile
« on: Aug 10, 2007, 07:26PM »

Because of all the discussion I am seeing on this forum and others comparing mouthpieces, I decided to put out a trombone mouthpiece comparison page. THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS! I have more data to add, but it's off to a pretty good start I think.

One extra feature is a comparison filter. If you click on a mouthpiece about the same size as the one you are comparing, the page is re-loaded with mouthpieces of the same cup width, slightly larger, and slightly smaller, so you can see what else might be close. Just click on the cup width to activate it. (Once you do, there will be a link at the top of the page to "un-filter" the page again.)

The default you will first see is a listing of mouthpieces with a large shank (bass trombone size). Near the top of the page you can choose to see Tenor Trombone size (small shank).

If you don't see your favorite brand, give me time. I do have a day job also! (But there is a link at the top of the page to our contact form so you can suggest additions)

http://www.dwerden.com/mouthpieces/trombone.cfm

Dave Werden
www.dwerden.com / www.tubaeuph.com
Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba, University of Minnesota
Solo Euphonium, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
Former Principal Trombone, Eastern Connecticut Symphony
Former Lead Trombone, USCG Jazz Ensemble
SilverBone
Put the Cool in "Coulisse!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2007, 07:58PM »

Quite nice - thanks for the new web page.  I've bookmarked it.

-Howard

The nastiest fellow I've known
Smashed his trombone and ruined its tone.
There's a simple excuse
For his slush pump abuse:
He was born to be bad to the bone.
muzikman
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2007, 01:50PM »

Very cool website. That's a pretty useful tool you've made. Thanks for the post.

-muzikman
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2007, 02:49PM »

Well done. I'm very pleased that you put in the warnings about each maker's way of measuring being possibly different...
without buying every mouthpiece yourself, all you can do is print the maker's specs.... and some are VERY misleading.... usually claiming to be bigger than most people find them to be (I won't name names) which some players here will quote as if they were on tablets sent from on high.
Thanks for your efforts.
Chris Stearn.

Still cannot think of anything better to do.LB 116 M,M8
JP

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2007, 12:07AM »

Excellent. I would like to see more of the G & W (Chinook, Titanium). A fantastic resource.

JP
Trombonists just slide through life
Driswood

"It's better to be smart than intelligent""

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2007, 12:57AM »

Great site! Took a lot of time and effort.

Thanks - great resource.  Good!

Jerry Walker

"Give a beggar a horse & he'll run over you"

"Imagine you're an idiot. Now imagine you're a member of Congress. But I repeat myself" Mark Twain

Conn 6H
Doug Elliott ST98/C/C2
Joel Felberg

"Wonky!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2007, 11:13AM »

Excellent. I would like to see more of the G & W (Chinook, Titanium). A fantastic resource.

Dr Fox has some specs on the G&W pieces on his mouthpiece comparison chart

http://www.ibowtie.com/mpccharts.html
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2007, 02:57PM »

I decided to do a little rim measuring today... various makers products all checked the same way....
very interesting results.
I wrote down all my measurements before checking against the charts.
This is what I found :
Bach : New York 15  me: 24.1  the chart: 24.4
    Mount Vernon 12C me:24.8  the chart: 24.5
      "     "    11  me:25.1  the chart: 24.7
       Elkhart   5G  me:25.5  the chart: 25.5
 Mount Vernon 1 1/2G me: 27.5 the chart:27.0
   "     "    1 1/2G me: 27.5 the chart:27.0 (a second example of this 'piece)

Greg Black: 1 1/2G   me: 27.2 the chart:27.25

Denis Wick: 1AL      me: 27.0 the chart: 27.1

Griego:  1.5         me: 28.0 the chart: 27.99

Marcinkiewicz:  1    me: 27.9 the chart: 28.0

Schilke:        60   me: 29.0 the chart: 29.03

Now, with the exception of Bach, all those readings are close enough to be considered correct, allowing for polishing variation.... so I have to take it back... most makers are pretty good with their figures..
but Bach.... way out !!!!
I suppose we all know Bach have varied a lot over the years... but look at BOTH those 1 1/2G's... that's a big difference.
Chris Stearn.

Still cannot think of anything better to do.LB 116 M,M8
Slidennis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2007, 04:35AM »

Great chart, and the links so useful.  Good!

I only noticed that the Curry are the same for small and large shank, whereas small runs from 12 to 3 in size, and large from 6 to 1.

Also the Stork's small shank (std) are only T3, T2, T1 and large shank begins with BT6 to BT1.

Stomvi are all small and large shanks, the shanks being screwed on the blank that insert the cup, same blank for all combinations...

I see that Hammond has a size 14, which is not informed on their website anymore... Don't know

Denis
3B, 71H, Olds Super LA, 52H/blessing slide, Duo Gravis
wwwShadow7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2007, 06:21AM »

I usually use mouthpieceexpress.com to get the specs of the major brands in a consolidated location.  Except for Conn that doesn't seem to publish specs on their pieces.

There are a lot of differences in similarly named pieces.  I eyeballed my Bach 1 1/2G at 27.5mm and my Benge 1 1/2G at 27.3mm.  But the biggest difference was from a Bach mello 6 at 17.5mm to a Conn mello 6 at 16.7mm.  I tend to measure from the cup, not the point on the rim where it starts to tapper towards the throat.

As far as specs, some Schilke specs seem a bit off too.  At least on the bass trombone side.  The 59 specs to about a 28.4mm inner rim, but I think I eyeballed mine at 28.1mm.  I'm away from home right now, so I can't verify that at the moment.  And it looks like current specs are quite different.

I could have swore that the 5GS had a larger throat than a 5G back when I first started using one in the 1990's.  At least according to the specs.  But current specs show that it has a smaller throat.  Even though many of the other bach S models have larger throats than their non-S counterparts.  Not to start any flame wars or debates.  But is it common for MP specs to evolve over time?  If I find a piece I like, should I buy 20 of them and lock 19 away in a bank vault?  So I don't have to adjust to something similar when the plating wears off and the modern specs changed for that mouthpiece.
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2007, 06:27AM »

---snip---  If I find a piece I like, should I buy 20 of them and lock 19 away in a bank vault?  So I don't have to adjust to something similar when the plating wears off and the modern specs changed for that mouthpiece.

Only if you lock yourself in the same vault and then turn off the time machine entirely.

The soft machine...that's you, Shadow...changes more rapidly than does ANY m'pce.

Bet on it.

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
Driswood

"It's better to be smart than intelligent""

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2007, 06:37AM »

Only if you lock yourself in the same vault and then turn off the time machine entirely.

The soft machine...that's YOU, Shadow...changes more rapidly than does ANY m'pce.

Bet on it.

S.

Yep.

Bought a Schilke 47B in 1994 to use on my 16M. Loved it!!! Then, around 2002 it started to not do the job for me anymore. I was still playing the same stuff and practicing the same amount, so it wasn't a change there that occurred. Got a Doug Elliott in 2003. Bigger rim diameter, larger cup. Bigger sound. Guys I played with noticed the difference without knowing I changed mouthpieces.

I played a friend's 47B a couple months ago - couldn't stand it!!!

Same mouthpiece, but a different me.

Jerry Walker

"Give a beggar a horse & he'll run over you"

"Imagine you're an idiot. Now imagine you're a member of Congress. But I repeat myself" Mark Twain

Conn 6H
Doug Elliott ST98/C/C2
Eric McKee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Aug 14, 2007, 06:48AM »

Thats a great chart!  Thank you for your work.  It will get a lot of use I am sure.

Possible additions:
Marcinkiewicz Signature series (small and large shank)
Jet-Tone Urbie Green mouthpiece

Correction:
There is a Jet-Tone 18 listed on the small shank chart but they don't make one.  The specs look legit, so it probably just needs to be put under the correct manufacturer.

Eric McKee
bass trombone - Elkhart Symphony, LaPorte Symphony, Truth in Jazz
bodingus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 14, 2007, 08:58AM »

I like the approach and the info.

Thanks for the work.

Bo Dingus
Freelance T-Bones and Tuba
Adjunct Prof., Low Brass
Ottawa KS
Dennis K.
« Reply #14 on: Aug 14, 2007, 09:40AM »

Great chart!
One small suggestion - on long charts, if you could insert the column headings occaisionally, maybe at the beginning of each new maker.
That would make it a little easier when scrollong back & forth between Warburton & Denis Wick
docfox

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:58AM »

My mouthpiece charts are now located on my All Brass Band internet radio station website at www.allbrassradio.com/bonempccharts.html

The recession took me and my store down along with an 11 day stay in the hospital which the first night they gave me only a 5% chance of living through the night.

But the charts are still available.

Jim
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2010, 01:02PM »

Thanks for that, Jim.

Sorry about the store, but we're glad you are back.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Stewbones43

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2010, 02:20PM »

Good to see both you and the chart back.

Cheers

Stewbones

Trombone means big trumpet-does that mean it is louder?
prototypedenNIS
Shameless

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:09PM »

Hey Dave!

Dave also runs a great tuba/euph forum on his page www.dwerden.com

denNIS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: