Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066417 Posts in 70881 Topics- by 18685 Members - Latest Member: MattG1116
Jump to:  
Poll
Question: Can anyone play the trombone as well as Frank Rosolino?
yes - 85 (69.7%)
yes, but only because Frank Rosolino is no longer with us - 11 (9%)
no - 26 (21.3%)
Total Voters: 116

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rosolino vs the rest  (Read 38246 times)
SensitiveJohn

View Profile
« on: Sep 19, 2007, 07:30PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln_ksnzscT8
DaveAshley

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2007, 07:43PM »

I present this newly-posted video of Frank as evidence. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klg3SoMvm5A

actikid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2007, 07:47PM »

I didn't vote.  I'd check a box that says he was one of a kind.  There aren't any other trombonists I'd compare him with.  His approach was entirely different.

Where was Blackwater on the morning of September 11, 2001?
actikid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2007, 07:53PM »

I present this newly-posted video of Frank as evidence. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klg3SoMvm5A
That was excellent, but it wasn't "Wave".  (The title said it was "Wave".  It was Corcovado aka Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars.)

That breakdown chorus was amazing, how they walked the changes right throughout and the whole ensemble came out the other end right on time.  Really brilliant.

It takes some real guts to trade choruses with Rosolino.

Where was Blackwater on the morning of September 11, 2001?
twobee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2007, 02:08PM »

Frank was Frank and nobody else will ever be Frank.They mave have been influenced by him, that's it....
I think

These are my principles, and if you don't like them, well I have others.....
Groucho Marx
SensitiveJohn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2007, 09:42AM »

So if 8 of you think that somebody is out there playing the trombone as well as Frank did, then tell us who it is.
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2007, 07:43AM »

So if 8 of you think that somebody is out there playing the trombone as well as Frank did, then tell us who it is.

Give me a break.

I got 8 right HERE!!!

Jack Teagarden

Lawrence Brown

Trummy Young

Tommy Dorsey

J. J. Johnson

Curtis Fuller

Urbie Green

Jimmy Knepper

And that's just scratching the SURFACE!!!

C'mon, man.

Rosolino was a great player.

But there have been...and are...SO many more.

And y'know what?

Many of them them cut him to SHREDS in terms of not using trombone licks...especially those damned turns...to mess up the contours of their melodic statements. That turn thing was like a tic of some kind.

You want to talk "technique"?

I played with three fairly young players this week...Vincent Gardner, Chris Crenshaw and Andre Hayward...who can play things on the horn that Rosolino never DREAMED of.

Bet on it.

This is not to take anything away from Frank. Not really. We all have our weaknesses. But to put ANYBODY up as "the greatest ever"? Ridiculous on the face of it.

Really.

S.

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
ssherwick

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2007, 08:12AM »

There is simply no "one" best at anything. Be it pitching baseballs or playing trombone.

At some point in time you're splitting hairs over the differences which in my mind is a waste of time.

But no one stands far and above everyone else generically in a skill that encompasses any sort of complexity.

An artist may be better than many others in certain areas but he will be deficient in some other skill that another will exceed him in.

A perfect artist would require a perfect person under the hood, ain't seen many around myself.......
baileyman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2007, 12:14PM »

No one played the way Frank did better than Frank.  Lots of people play way out on the edge of possibility better than anyone else who plays like them.  I think this is called personality.  Lots of personalities, lots of best players.  Those of us who play like others, well, we're not the best, and there are lots more of us than them!
Euphanasia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2007, 02:52PM »

Give me a break.

I got 8 right HERE!!!

Jack Teagarden

Lawrence Brown

Trummy Young

Tommy Dorsey

J. J. Johnson

Curtis Fuller

Urbie Green

Jimmy Knepper

Ah, but can these guys incorporate yodeling into their scat singing? Well?
BoneCall

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2007, 05:11AM »

That turn thing was like a tic of some kind.

That's an interesting take on it. Could it be that that "tic" was related to the same personality disorder that ended his life?
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2007, 06:34AM »

That's an interesting take on it. Could it be that that "tic" was related to the same personality disorder that ended his life?

Who knows?

It always made me kinda nervous to hear it, that's for sure. Really. The reason that I so prefer the styles of people like Teagarden, Dorsey, Trummy Young, Urbie, J.J. and Jimmy Knepper to those of say Rosolino and Fontana is because of the relatively uninterrupted elegance and cleanliness of the former's lines. Even when they DID play embellishments, it was somehow integral to the melody and unexpected rather than a repeated interjection like someone saying "Y'know what I mean?" 20 times a sentence.

This is a pet peeve of mine with so many really accomplished trombonists. Like they feel somehow inferior and have to put all kinds of store bought window dressing and bows and ribbons on their melody. Give me Miles Davis or Perry Como any day. Just sing the damned thing.

When I hear that hiccup thing, I just turn off. Always have. I do not care HOW difficult it is. It's still a hiccup.

Later...

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
josh roseman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2007, 08:00AM »

Rosolino had a rare ability to break a groove down on trombone
part of that had to do with his fluidity, energy & solid time
The other part of it was that he used the trombone so dynamically
the horn becomes more of a percussion instrument this way.

He'd play quietly and pick funky, effective spots to open up in the top register
And he used those embellishments in the same way a drummer might stroke the snare, or the way a pianist might kick with the left hand.

I find it interesting when guys can tease this kind of a pseudo-polyphonic concept out of the instrument, using rhythm and combinations of sounds.

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2007, 12:57PM by josh roseman » Logged

Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2007, 12:42PM »

Doggone it, the second clip was taken down before I could view it.

Rosolino definitely had his mannerisms, but he was getting the sound out of the horn that he wanted. The same staccato triplet that he plays all the time is present in his singing, too, so it's not just some physical trombone thing.

As Josh said, it adds a funky rhythmic element that's almost like drumming or tap dancing. A lot of Hammond B-3 players use similar rhythmic effects. I could see why some people would like it and others find it distracting.

Teagarden had his 'trombonisms', too, but I still love his playing. It's probably just the basic tendency to discover something that you like a lot and play it a little too much.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
josh roseman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2007, 01:19PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kp4_lmho0PI&amp;rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Kp4_lmho0PI&amp;rel=1</a>

I love how he creeps under pitch sometimes and teases the center, like dexter...
then there's the balance- he offers a million of diversions, for sure- but then he picks a spot, and the notes just hang and the tune opens up.

None of which would be to discount what Sam's said about understatement and elegance, which was well-put.
but it's rare for a musician to be able to go both ways (which is why I love ben webster..)

I'm interested in the choices musicians make; to me, it seems that Rosolino was really able to "create his own shot," as they say in the hoops world.

BoneCall

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2007, 03:29AM »

As I've discussed on these boards before (and taken a lot of flack doing it) in my opinion Rosolino's style, while technically very advanced, was one that wore out the listener very quickly. It strikes me as rather manic in a way the Bird's style was not, like someone who is always talking too fast and too long in a nonstop patter that quickly becomes irritating. Both Rosolino and JJ were in their prime about the same time and I infinitely prefer the latter as a trombonist whose work will stand the test of time.

This point of a tic in Rosolino's playing as a symptom of his eventual complete derangement is an interesting one and makes his music even more unlistenable for me. Of course in light of the way he ended it all its my opinion that it would have been far better if Rosolino's two kids would have survived and his music died.
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2007, 03:43AM »

Let's not get into another discussion about that. Bad dog.  No Biscuits. Please keep this a music topic.

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2007, 03:46AM »

Just in my own humble opinion, I find his playing, at least on that clip, to be completely lacking in "soul" or "feeling", and also monumentally tedious. What IS the point of playing like that?

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2007, 04:17AM »

Mr. Rosolino's unfortunate demise seems to be a topic non grata around here, so I'll leave that alone.

I don't think mannerism is a deal-killer, whether you're talking about Willie Nelson or Lawrence Brown. There's a fair analogy in Aaron Neville's vocal style. For some people it's sublime and captivating; for others, it's like listening to someone sing while riding a bicycle along the railroad tracks. I can hear it both ways, but I like it.

Frank's playing has a sly, deadpan, hipster-ish quality that's a lot of fun, and when he's not doing his scat-a-tonic rhythms there's some melancholy and emotional depth. I admire people who can project their personality through an instrument.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Euphanasia

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2007, 06:52AM »

Let's not get into another discussion about that. Bad dog.  No Biscuits. Please keep this a music topic.

The problem with this is that if you censor discussion after someone has made a controversial point, that point winds up hanging in the air unquestioned. I'm sorry, but that bothers me.

Apart from a general discussion of Rosolino's demise, it is possible to discuss the question of whether reflections of the worst of a person's psyche can be seen in their best times, and I'm open to another thread on this if Bonecall is up for it. Quite frankly, I hope not because I think the entire topic is fraught with misguided thinking. I've seen truly silly things written in this vein, the worst of which was an analysis of Emily Dickinson's poetry from the perspective of a handwriting analyst who felt that her unclosed "o"s were a symptom of the kidney disease that would eventually take her life. I certainly wouldn't want people to think that my playing outside the changes is a symptom of my depression. When I'm depressed, I don't play well. When I'm playing my best, I'm not depressed. The two don't coincide.

When you start looking for symptoms of a person's personal life in the technical aspects of their playing, you open yourself up to a world of overgeneralization and speculation. Do you hear "Blackness" in Jimi Hendrix's guitar solos? Do the later offerings of the Beatles still stink of Liverpool? Of course if you go looking for it, you'll think you have found it. That doesn't mean it's there.

Oh, and let me add this: Damn you, Sabutin! I had never even thought about those turns, and now I hear them in every Rosolino solo and I agree with you--they're quite "trombonish" and they certainly don't add to the musical statement of the solo. I would add, though, that turns and any other way of manipulating partials (like playing against the grain) are one of the best ways to get fast articulations out of a trombone, and Rosolino seems to have been one of the pioneers of this technique. You'd know better than I. I'm wondering if the turns were "trombonish" before Rosolino made them so. There will come a time when multiphonics are seen as a low brass cliche, but at least for right now, they seem to stretch the horizons of the instrument. Only time will tell.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: