Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087144 Posts in 71990 Topics- by 19239 Members - Latest Member: Hackercraft792
Jump to:  
Poll
Question: Can anyone play the trombone as well as Frank Rosolino?
yes - 85 (69.1%)
yes, but only because Frank Rosolino is no longer with us - 12 (9.8%)
no - 26 (21.1%)
Total Voters: 117

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rosolino vs the rest  (Read 41866 times)
greg waits
« Reply #140 on: Oct 19, 2009, 11:14AM »

BTW Sabutin your an idiot, I bet your so called "young" players that you speak of dream of playing what Frank does. to quote you "I bet on it".

Okay now, this sort of name calling is not acceptable in the forum. Be nice.  >:(
greg waits
« Reply #141 on: Oct 19, 2009, 11:17AM »

Say what you will about Frank, his playing, and the obviously tragic ending.  Here's Gloomy Sunday from Supersax's "Dynamite", recorded in Germany in the mid-70's.  Frank's playing continues to move me like few others in the jazz world, trombonist or others.

http://www.snapdrive.net/files/380186/06%20-%20Gloomy%20Sunday.mp3

RIP

Chip, that solo is one of the most emotionally moving of any instrumental solo - trombone or otherwise - that I ever heard. I remember hearing this the first time. I was almost moved to tears.

And the ironic thing is, he killed himself on a Sunday. :cry:
evan51
Guardian of the Sacred Nebulizer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: Oct 19, 2009, 01:07PM »

What can I say...I'm in a sharing mood today when it comes to Frank's music and spirit.  I hope you listen and enjoy.
Chip:
Thanks so much for taking the time to post these links. I poured a coffee, slapped the headphones into the 'puter and had a very nice morning. Thanks, too, for redirecting the topic to where it should have been all along!

One life---a little gleam of time between two Eternities.---Thomas Carlyle
Sean Joseph

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Oct 19, 2009, 04:50PM »

Nice tracks.....you grow  by taking what you want from what is presented to you....this is "taste"....if it speaks to you, you keep it, if it doesn't resonate, you let it go....trying to please everyone/be pleased by everyone is pointless. It's nice to see people so passionate about certain players....better to become the player that people are passionate about tho....just sayin.
greg waits
« Reply #144 on: Oct 19, 2009, 09:03PM »

Nice tracks.....you grow  by taking what you want from what is presented to you....this is "taste"....if it speaks to you, you keep it, if it doesn't resonate, you let it go....trying to please everyone/be pleased by everyone is pointless.

Amen
ctingle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: Oct 19, 2009, 10:48PM »

Hey, it's good to read that people are back to listening to and considering Frank's playing.

Greg, I share your feelings about this track, and other ballads that caught Frank really singing.  When this goes into time maybe half way through, he's swinging so hard, his time and phrasing just hits me on every level.  I thank all ye bonistas on this thread for helping me rediscover a long lost friend in "Gloomy Sunday".

Sam, muy thanks for your insight, commentary, and probing questions for all of us to consider, yet again.  Your suggested topic would be solid for many reasons, especially considering elements of race, geographical style trends and tastes, the whole east vs. west thing that somehow continues to enter the jazz taste equation for whatever reasons, etc...I think there is actually a good DownBeat or JazzTimes or NPR level piece to be done on this at the right time, getting a round table together of various players from various "schools" to talk freely with each other about Frank, his playing, and his life. 

Picture a sit down with Slide Hampton, Curtis Fuller, Michael Dease, David Gibson, Sabutin, Steve Turre, Robin Eubanks, Michael Davis, Urbie Green, Conrad Herwig, Scott Whitfield, Andy Martin, Bob McChesney, Bill Watrous, John Fedchock, Bill Reichenbach, John Alred, Elliot Mason, Luis Bonilla....ok, stopping now....for example.

RIP

Chip Tingle
Tenor & Bass Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba
NorCal freelancer & educator
http://soundcloud.com/musichub recent demos
http://www.facebook.com/people/Chip-Tingle/1045829540
ctingle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: Oct 19, 2009, 10:50PM »

And off topic:

Anyone know how to get my email notification to work again?  I used to receive replies to my posts or watched threads by email, but this isn't working despite my best efforts.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Chip Tingle
Tenor & Bass Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba
NorCal freelancer & educator
http://soundcloud.com/musichub recent demos
http://www.facebook.com/people/Chip-Tingle/1045829540
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Oct 20, 2009, 04:59AM »

And off topic:

Anyone know how to get my email notification to work again?  I used to receive replies to my posts or watched threads by email, but this isn't working despite my best efforts.  Any help would be much appreciated.

It's a Forum infrastructure problem.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not.  Sometimes it's because you are trying to track too many threads.  Sometimes it's "spacemenz" (or maybe intervention from the Flying Spaghetti Monster) ;-)  I know Richard has looked into this in the past, but we haven't really seen an explanation or a fix.

Back to topic.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
janettem
Trombonist,future history PhD

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:46PM »

I'm not going to get into a discussion about whatever he did in his personal life,that is not our business here.

All I'm going to say here is that he was the trombonist whose playing clearly influenced my style as it has evolved.

Yeah,JJ and Watrous and Fontana influenced my playing,but Rosolino was and is the standard-bearer for how I play and what I listen to.

Who says girls can't play trombone? No one!
tgate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Jul 12, 2010, 02:47PM »

Just in my own humble opinion, I find his playing, at least on that clip, to be completely lacking in "soul" or "feeling", and also monumentally tedious. What IS the point of playing like that?
Try "Blues for Basie" from Buddy Rich Album,"This One's For Basie"./

Do not go gentle into that good night.
BFW
Pun Gent

"Paronomasiacs Homonymous"

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Aug 08, 2010, 06:50PM »

Parris, while I can sympathize with your desire for accuracy regarding the circumstances of your father's death, I need to remind you that this topic is about Frank Rosolino's music.  We have encouraged people to focus on his musical legacy, or to allow others to do so, without sidetracking every discussion about him by delving into details of his death.  Perhaps you could allow the very positive musical discussion here, including posting of pointers to recordings and videos and discussions of style, to continue, and take the corrections to a different topic?  Perhaps the recently-started discussion of your Facebook page might be a good place?

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,52697.0.html

Brian

Our supreme responsibility is the moral obligation to be intelligent. -- Oliver L. Reiser
naz2897

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Jul 30, 2015, 01:03PM »

Wow. I am commenting so members who weren't on the forum at that time can read  it.

Long live frank. May his sublime and raw style live on.
BackBone

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Jul 30, 2015, 10:16PM »

Rosolino was a great player. But I feel he speaks at me with his playing not to me. He seems to play like he sings as most great players do. Are there players as good? Yes. Yes. Yes.

Now Big "T" speaks to me. His playing and his singing. Seems the longer I listen, the more I learn from him. Even the band that he plays with has that same conversational style that resonates with me.

Take a listen - really listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9udjEXDpAg

Intro solo... singing... exiting solo (muted)... Yes.

Rosolino was a great player. Those who like him the best will like  him the best. Those who don't... won't. That is ok! Be glad that your favorite player plays in a way that speaks to you. And that you have the ability to appreciate it.

Holton TR181
"Look out boys, I'm gonna take a tram-bone...coda!" -- Jack Teagarden: Basin Street Blues
greg waits
« Reply #153 on: Aug 04, 2015, 06:59AM »

Parris, while I can sympathize with your desire for accuracy regarding the circumstances of your father's death, I need to remind you that this topic is about Frank Rosolino's music.  We have encouraged people to focus on his musical legacy, or to allow others to do so, without sidetracking every discussion about him by delving into details of his death.  Perhaps you could allow the very positive musical discussion here, including posting of pointers to recordings and videos and discussions of style, to continue, and take the corrections to a different topic?  Perhaps the recently-started discussion of your Facebook page might be a good place?

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,52697.0.html

News flash: Frank Rosolino was not Parris' father. He was married to her mother but he never adopted her. She changed her last name to Rosolino sometime after his death.
Paul Martin

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Aug 11, 2015, 01:59PM »

Who knows?

It always made me kinda nervous to hear it, that's for sure. Really. The reason that I so prefer the styles of people like Teagarden, Dorsey, Trummy Young, Urbie, J.J. and Jimmy Knepper to those of say Rosolino and Fontana is because of the relatively uninterrupted elegance and cleanliness of the former's lines. Even when they DID play embellishments, it was somehow integral to the melody and unexpected rather than a repeated interjection like someone saying "Y'know what I mean?" 20 times a sentence.

[...]

When I hear that hiccup thing, I just turn off. Always have. I do not care HOW difficult it is. It's still a hiccup.

Amen;  there's a Teagarden recording, might be "Saints," where he plays this amazing lip slur across 4 partials at a blistering pace, in good time, in tune, and the effect in amazing, but I never heard him play anything like that ever again, so he could play all sorts of incredibly technical things, but chose not to.

fungusbrains2

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Sep 25, 2016, 02:36PM »

75 people here think they play better that Rosolino.  You guys' egos are worse than trumpet players!
growlerbox
Just a clown with an axe

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Sep 25, 2016, 02:41PM »

75 people here think they play better that Rosolino.  You guys' egos are worse than trumpet players!

Wait ... what?  No they don't.  75 people here think that there are trombone players who play as well or better than Rosolino.  There may be those who include themselves in that august group, but that wasn't an option in the poll.

If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well.
fungusbrains2

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Sep 25, 2016, 02:42PM »

75 people here think they play better that Rosolino.  You guys' egos are worse than trumpet players!
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: Sep 25, 2016, 03:05PM »

I voted no because I was curious to what the percentage was.

But after a certain point, the whole 'who is best' argument is absurd. Jazz improv isn't a sporting event where medals are handed out. Frank played what Frank heard. The same with Carl, Slide, Urbie, Watrous, Al Grey...the list goes on and on.

he certainly is among the top of players who have influenced other players.
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: Sep 25, 2016, 03:13PM »

I voted no because I was curious to what the percentage was.

But after a certain point, the whole 'who is best' argument is absurd. Jazz improv isn't a sporting event where medals are handed out. Frank played what Frank heard. The same with Carl, Slide, Urbie, Watrous, Al Grey...the list goes on and on.

he certainly is among the top of players who have influenced other players.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: