Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080847 Posts in 71544 Topics- by 19060 Members - Latest Member: Areon Tomek
Jump to:  
Poll
Question: Can anyone play the trombone as well as Frank Rosolino?
yes - 85 (69.7%)
yes, but only because Frank Rosolino is no longer with us - 11 (9%)
no - 26 (21.3%)
Total Voters: 116

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rosolino vs the rest  (Read 40630 times)
sonicsilver

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Sep 25, 2016, 04:15PM »

I voted yes because there are many superb jazz trombonists. Not better, not worse. Just different. And Ros was certainly different... Can't choose between chocolate cake and fillet steak and strawberries. All are great. It just depends what you fancy.

There are no sacred cows for me, and I hear things in the big names' playing that I wouldn't want to hear in mine. I try to assimilate the good and guard against the bad, eventually becoming an amalgamation of all the bits I like best. Or that's the plan, anyway. Plus maybe a little bit of something original from me that is my recognisable fingerprint. I probably couldn't hear it myself: it'd have to be pointed out to me by someone who's heard me play a lot.

Regarding the events at the end of Frank Rosolino's life, it's the old debate about mad versus bad. I don't believe he did it out of wickedness, cackling like some evil mastermind, or coldblooded like a sociopath. Neither fits with the personality of the man. I'm not the most sentimental and sympathetic person you'll ever meet, but I do pity anyone in such anguish and turmoil that killing your family and then yourself enters your mind as a possible course.
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Sep 25, 2016, 05:01PM »

75 people here think they play better that Rosolino.  You guys' egos are worse than trumpet players!

I think you're misreading the poll question. It's meant literally--Do you believe that anyone plays as well as Rosolino?

It's not meant in the colloquial sense--'Can you play as well as Rosolino?"

In other words, it's the difference between asking, "Did anyone hit as well as Ruth" as opposed to "Does anyone have a light?"

If you misread the first question, you'll answer, 'No, I don't hit at all.' If you misread the second, you'll say, "I'm sure someone has a light--there are billions of people on the earth." Context is everything.

I don't think the people answering 'yes' were claiming that they themselves outplay Rosolino, except maybe lately.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
ISAB

"Trombone Enthusiast"

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: Nov 29, 2016, 02:20PM »

Nobody even comes close to him
I like listening to Wycliffe Gordon too though
But Rosolino was one of a kind, unique

Bach Student Model TB301 Tenor Trombone - 12C
Yamaha YSL882GO Xeno - Peter Sullivan Signature
greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Nov 29, 2016, 02:47PM »

> Nobody even comes close to him

> But ______________ was one of a kind, unique

But these statements are true for countless players!  Scores and scores of players over the years.

--Holton TR180 (1974)
gh

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Apr 02, 2017, 12:40PM »

There is a standard set among jazz musicians that is a rank of sorts. Coltrane bird pops miles cllifford brown Freddy Hubbard woody Shaw  dexter Gordon bud Powell art tatum Roy Eldridge dizzy Lester young Coleman Hawkins and many more. These are the great innovators. As far as trombononist , the cats who played with them are jj curtis slide Teagarden trummy Bennie green . The over reaching factor here is the unknowable factor of artistic integrity. What is this? The music comes first and the technique is an afterthought. I couldn't imagine Teagarden playing with pops and suddenly going off on a barrage of of stupid trombone tricks.jj played with miles and it fit perfectly. Bennie green also played with miles and likewise . Curtis played with bud Powell.  Slide with dexter and so on. This also applies to classical players. Lewis van Haney and Gordon pullis had subtle nuances in their playing that separated them from the others . Their choices in solos tended towards music by real composers i.e. Bach etc. Ralph sauer comes to mind in this genre. Back to jazz and rosolino. Sure he's a unique voice and a great player. Sometimes the technique gets in the way of the music. Perhaps if he were around more of the more mainstream jazzers instead of the west coast crowd , he would have played differently?? Anyway , I don't listen to Frank anymore just like I'd rather listen to Ralph sauer perform the Bach cello suites instead of a technician playing blue bells . Real music moves everyone emotionally
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: Apr 04, 2017, 07:02AM »

Referring to Rosolino's playing as "stupid trombone tricks" is a little extreme imo. He played what he felt.
Radar

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Apr 04, 2017, 07:15AM »

I admire Rosolino for his technical ability, and he was definately a unique player.  I enjoy listening to a lot of different players, and have my own personal favorite (JJ), but I hesitate to say anyone is the Best or Greatest at an endeavor.  Music is such a subjective subject, and what I think is great the next guy might not like at all.  Lots of great players out there doing very creative things on the instrument, I think it's impossible to single out one player and say he is the all around greatest!!
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: Apr 04, 2017, 08:36AM »

I admire Rosolino for his technical ability, and he was definately a unique player.  I enjoy listening to a lot of different players, and have my own personal favorite (JJ), but I hesitate to say anyone is the Best or Greatest at an endeavor.  Music is such a subjective subject, and what I think is great the next guy might not like at all.  Lots of great players out there doing very creative things on the instrument, I think it's impossible to single out one player and say he is the all around greatest!!

Well stated. Music (and arts in general) is not a sporting event where medals are awarded.

Thank God for the variety of styles that players have. I can't imagine everyone playing the same way.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: