Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

956869 Posts in 63158 Topics- by 15438 Members - Latest Member: TrombonePatrick
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: F. Schmidt trombones  (Read 6200 times)
Sue

View Profile
« on: Oct 19, 2007, 07:08PM »

Anyone have any knowledge of these? I have one, bought on ebay on impulse, didn't really expect to win....Anyways, it may as well have dropped down from the sky as far as finding out who made it, where it was made, etc. All I have been able to learn is that they were sold through Brook Mays Music store, and were probably made in France or Germany. Their website has new F. Schmidt trumpets but no trombones, and my e-mail to them went unanswered. There is no indication on the instrument as to where it was made. I doubt very much that it was made in China, the quality is pretty good. I can give my impressions of it if anyone is interested.

A family of trombonists
Burgerbob

"Yeah, I'm pretty much not a big deal."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2007, 07:54PM »

Actually, as far as i know, they are made in China. They have been improving in quality lately, enough that the bass trombone is bought on purpose sometimes.

Bires- Shires Trubores, B62, C, Bach bell, GB 1 3/8G
Yamaha YEP-842S, ???
Yamaha YBH-301MS, ???
Conn 6H, ???
colin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2007, 03:26AM »

http://www.fschmidtbrass.com/

Doesn't tell you alot though.  Don't know

TROMBONES: Rath R2, Conn 6H, 8H, B&S alto, Bauhaus bass, Olds flugabone.
SAXES: Bauhaus M2E tenor, G4M baritone,
OTHERS: Akai EWI4000s, Leblanc 'paperclip' Eb contra clarinet, Bb tuba, various keyboards.
WaltTrombone
Former Titler of Teh Bick!

"Ein Prosit, ein Prosit, der Gemütlichkeit!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2007, 07:11AM »

Well, the pdf link on that website has a price list, which states where the horns come from. Mostly from Markneukirchen, Germany. Sounds like a stencil brand from VMI??? The Frederick student horns listed are from China, all the others come from the US and Germany.

Walter Barrett
http://www.walterbarrett.com/
Yamaha Artist/Clinician
Alto, Tenor, Bass Trombones
Bass Trumpet
Euphonium, Tuba
MaestroHound

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2007, 09:22AM »

I know some of their models at one point had been rebadged Courtois, when they were made in Germany (in VMI factory I believe). Those should have been good ones.

"Think before you applaud." -Abe Martin
Sue

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2007, 05:59PM »

Thanks for the link - I had not come across that one. The one I have could be a rebadged Courtois, that is what the seller had told me, and it is a good quality instrument. I have a Courtois bass, and really like it, but I can't find any clear-cut similarities between the two. I had hoped to find some indication,(like the Holton 602R's that were rebadged Yamaha 352's, ard stamped "made in Japan), that it was made in France.

A family of trombonists
MaestroHound

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2007, 07:27PM »

Oh, no, I meant Courtois in "Germany era." When Courtois was under JA Musik management they were made in Germany. I believe it was in VMI factory. And Courtois/Schmidt was supposedly made by that team in germany. I could very well be wrong. Also looking at the PDF thing, none of "F. Schmidt" instruments are made in China. It's only "Frederick" brand ones I suppose.

"Think before you applaud." -Abe Martin
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2007, 01:39AM »

Oh, no, I meant Courtois in "Germany era." When Courtois was under JA Musik management they were made in Germany. I believe it was in VMI factory. And Courtois/Schmidt was supposedly made by that team in germany. I could very well be wrong. Also looking at the PDF thing, none of "F. Schmidt" instruments are made in China. It's only "Frederick" brand ones I suppose.

You are right that Courtois instruments were made in Germany for a period. The French Factory was mothballed.
Chris Stearn.

Still cannot think of anything better to do.LB 116 M,M8
Sue

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2007, 09:22AM »

OK, thanks for that info - I feel much better thinking the horn was most likely made in Germany, and not China. Does VMI also make large-bore tenor trombones under their own name? I really don't know much about the history of Courtois, but the newest ones are made in Paris and the company is now under Crampon-Buffet. They seem to be serious about making high quality, desirable instruments.

A family of trombonists
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2007, 09:37AM »

OK, thanks for that info - I feel much better thinking the horn was most likely made in Germany, and not China. Does VMI also make large-bore tenor trombones under their own name? I really don't know much about the history of Courtois, but the newest ones are made in Paris and the company is now under Crampon-Buffet. They seem to be serious about making high quality, desirable instruments.

A section mate of mine has a VMI independent bass and it plays very nicely.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Basscleff Barrister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2007, 07:45PM »

I know that the F. Schmidt tubas sold by Brook Mays were made by VMI. I owned a VMI2103 tuba until last year and it was a very good horn.

When Buffet-Crampon bought Courtois from JA Musik in late 2005, I believe that JA Mudik was contracted to continue making some or all of the Courtois trombones and tubas at the VMI plant. A lot of the parts are/were also made by JM's Sterberg operation in Hungary. I do not know if this arrangement contiues to date.

wwwShadow7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2007, 10:05PM »

I own an F. Schmidt Bass Trombone which I got cheap from a Brook Mays that was liquidating.  I don't know much about them.  But a few people I know that do instrument repairs claim that their rotors suck. 

I had to disassemble mine when I got it to get the rotors working good.  And when I did, I noticed a number of dinks and nicks on the rotors themselves.  They worked pretty good when I cleaned them, but they fouled up pretty quickly.  Not exactly the quality I'd expect on a "new" horn.  But it's a decent playing and sounding horn.
tbonejeff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2007, 07:07AM »

(like the Holton 602R's that were rebadged Yamaha 352's, ard stamped "made in Japan)

Just to set the record straight, the above statement is backwards. The Holton TR-602R trombones were made by Yamaha (and most were assembled in Michigan) and rebadged "Holton." The horns made by Holton carry the model number "TR-602." At least this was the case prior to 1985, when I stopped working for LeBlanc/Holton.

Jeff

Jeff Peterson
Sue

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2007, 07:36AM »

Quote by tbonejeff:
"Just to set the record straight, the above statement is backwards. The Holton TR-602R trombones were made by Yamaha (and most were assembled in Michigan) and rebadged "Holton." The horns made by Holton carry the model number "TR-602." At least this was the case prior to 1985, when I stopped working for LeBlanc/Holton."

Yes, that is what I meant to say, perhaps it came out backwards.

As far as the rotor, I read a few other posts complaining about the rotors also. The one I have works very well, it has never stuck, works smoothly and is much quieter than my Bach's. The ebay seller was a music store, I believe, and said the horn had just been chemically cleaned so maybe the rotor was removed and cleaned up and/or smoothed out. But you're right, a new horn should come with all the parts working properly.
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2007, 08:13PM by Sue » Logged

A family of trombonists
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: