Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1096560 Posts in 72524 Topics- by 19537 Members - Latest Member: philthomas
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: General Wisdom  (Read 2892 times)
martian

View Profile
« on: Nov 24, 2007, 06:20PM »

It seems to me that every other day appears a new tread that basicaly asks for advice in finding a new horn, and that often enough the advice given is fairly similar...

From this I think that is may be useful for some of the more experienced forumites in the whole gear selection thing might put some of this advice in a sticky thread that would stay at the top of the intruments menu - serving as a reference point for anyone starting off on the complicated and relatively intimidating quest for a new horn.

I realise that this would not do justice to threads about specific instruments, and would not be intended to replace or overshadow these threads, instead it would allow some dedicated members from repeating similar posts over and over again.

Thoughts?

Michael
Todd Jonz
Department of Redundancy Department

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2007, 06:37PM »

This is an age-old problem.  Over the years numerous people have suggested sticky threads, a FAQ, or a "knowledge base" (I was never really sure what that last one was supposed to be) as potential solutions.  In the end, Richard created WikiBone, the trombone wiki, a far more flexible solution than any of the other alternatives, to accommodate this need.

I agree that there's a lot of useful information buried in the Forum archives that could serve as the basis for WikiBone articles on a wide variety of topics.   All it takes is volunteers....

Have you registered at TromboneChat.com yet?
tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2007, 01:07PM »

We've been asking people who are interested to contribute to WikiBone and have a list of suggested articles in there, and included is a whole section about individual instruments.  It can be a very useful resource if we can get people to volunteer a bit of time and write some articles for it.  Please feel free to jump right in! 

Alea

-- Alea

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life--music and cats."  -- Albert Schweitzer

Alea iacta est...
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2007, 02:34PM »

In the manufacturers section of Wikibone it states that Roy Lawler no longer makes trombones. He is in fact developing a new trombone and will be manufacturing them soon.

Scott Bentall-Freelance
No pressure=No sound=No gigs
---------------------------------------------
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
1935 Williams "L" Arrowhead
Conn 71H
tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2007, 04:10AM »

In the manufacturers section of Wikibone it states that Roy Lawler no longer makes trombones. He is in fact developing a new trombone and will be manufacturing them soon.

That's one of the good things about the concept of a Wiki format.  It's dynamic and can be changed relatively easily when information is no longer accurate.  That's also why we need people to volunteer to jump in and help with the project.  If we can get people to add new articles and update existing articles in WikiBone, it will become a comprehensive and accurate resource. The information stays in one place to be added to and updated as required. 

As Todd said earlier, there's loads of wonderful information buried in the Forum archives, but I've found that it's sometimes a bit time-consuming to sort through it all when it's a topic (like how to pick out the best instrument for your child?) because it's come up so very often.

My two cents.......   ;-)   

-- Alea

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life--music and cats."  -- Albert Schweitzer

Alea iacta est...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: