Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087252 Posts in 72010 Topics- by 19242 Members - Latest Member: simonvd
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentMouthpieces(Moderators: BGuttman, Doug Elliott) Returning to Trombone - Which Mouthpiece for YSL-354?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Returning to Trombone - Which Mouthpiece for YSL-354?  (Read 4656 times)
mdmendoz

View Profile
« on: Dec 25, 2007, 04:14PM »

I'm returning to recreational trombone playing after over 20 years.  I just purchased a used Yamaha YSL-354, and it's on its way.  What is the best general/beginner use mouthpiece for this horn?

Mike
Bergman

"Wonky!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2007, 04:23PM »

I'm returning to recreational trombone playing after over 20 years.  I just purchased a used Yamaha YSL-354, and it's on its way.  What is the best general/beginner use mouthpiece for this horn?

Mike

I would recommend taking your horn down to a local music store and trying a 6 1/2AL, 7C and 11C to see which general size you prefer. Once you determine that, there are endless variations to try.
lou2cv

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2007, 02:41AM »

Hello

I would recomend you a 6 1/2, as said above, or a Giardinelli 6D which is smaller but quite confortable for a returning beginner (that's why I love mine) and I think with a bit of experience and practice with it, it would suit both high and low range. Or if you have bigger lips, try a larger version of the 6D.

Trombocholik

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2008, 07:42AM »

I would recommend you a Bach 6 3/4C or Yamaha 48. My favourite mouthpieces for .500 bore! Good!

Trombone is out of politics
Baker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2008, 10:49AM »

yamaha 48 Good!
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2008, 01:14PM »

yamaha 48 Good!

Thirded.

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 50B, ditto
Conn 60H, ditto
Bach 42B, Greg Black NY 1.25
Conn 6H, King 7MD
Yamaha YEP-842S, Schilke 53/59
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12XL
Slidennis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2008, 11:40PM »

A Conn 3 is not bad either, it's what I use with mine...
Great low range and relatively easy singing high register...

Denis
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2008, 10:03AM »

A Conn 3 is not bad either, it's what I use with mine...
Great low range and relatively easy singing high register...

Problem with a Conn 3 (or 2 or 4 or 1, for that matter) is that they are not made any more.  If you get one with a trombone and like it, great.  If you are out looking for a new mouthpiece you will have a hard time finding a Conn 3 (except on Ebay, of course).

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Frodo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2008, 10:10AM »

If you are starting over just find someplace where you can try everything from a 6.5AL to a 12C, pick the one that feels the best, and then practice.

Practice, Practice, Practice...
By their fruits shall you know them.
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. - Winston Churchill
ParLawGod
The Man Who Doesn't Need a Title

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2008, 11:36AM »

To be perfectly honest (this is my opinion) I think a Bach 12C/Bach 11C sized mouthpiece may be a little too small. I would recommend something around a Bach 7C size or a Yamaha 48 (which is a Bach 6.5AL size but with a shallower cup I believe) then later moving to a Bach 6.5AL (deeper cup with a bigger sound in my experience). Just my opinion...

How big are your lips (if I may ask)? Average, full, other?

You made your post about two weeks ago...so maybe you already have a mouthpiece by now. If so, can we ask what you ended up buying?
davetrombizzle

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:59PM »

If your new YSL-354 came with a Yamaha 48 mouthpiece, that piece actually matches very well with that horn. I've tried smaller pieces and they feel restrictive on that horn. In terms of size, I think that is a good area.
ParLawGod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:09PM »

If your new YSL-354 came with a Yamaha 48 mouthpiece

I'm just assuming (I could be wrong), but since he is asking for mouthpieces I would think it would be a used horn that doesn't have a mouthpiece with it.
davetrombizzle

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2008, 12:51AM »

You're right, I missed the part where he said he got it used!
ParLawGod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2008, 09:26AM »

I missed the part where he said he got it used!

Actually, the word "used" was not there yesterday (if my memory serves me correctly)...I would assume that he edited his post after reading to provide clarification.
SensitiveJohn

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:22AM »

I think that a 6.5 AL or a 48 would be too much for the 354.  I know that that they are too big for my 3B.  I would try 45 - 47, or 6 3/4c, 9, 11c, 11, or 12c.  Just go to a store once, try them, and pick the one that you like.  And stick with it, no second thoughts.

I tried a Schilke 47B once, and it was great.  I wish I had bought it.  I haven't seen one since.
DaCheese

"Will bone for food"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2008, 01:00PM »

I tried a Schilke 47B once, and it was great.  I wish I had bought it.  I haven't seen one since.

I've got a 47B (the contour one) on my Martin jazz horn, it's awesome for that. On my Yamaha 446G it is way too restrictive though.

I like the Yamaha 48 for all around stuff. It works if I have to play jazz on my larger horn (446G) and also on the Martin small bore. Not as well as the Schilke but it works.

Shires Small Bore Trombone - T08NLW slide, S2GM8 bell
Shires Bass Trombone - B62-78 slide, BII7G bell, inline axial flow valves
'47 Martin Committee Model Trombone
Yamaha YEP-642S Euphonium
JohnFindlay

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:12PM »

I'm also an adult 'beginner', I have a Yamaha 354, and have been playing it using the Yam 48 mouthpiece that came with it for nearly 5 years now. I wouldn't recommend it. I find it a bit loose for notes below D in the staff, with notes being harder to pitch and nail than with other mouthpieces I've borrowed and tried. I bought a kelly 6.5 AL, and that has a better sound (more 'zip') and has actually a smaller cup volume than the 48 and doesn't suffer from the same looseness in the 354, but the rim is horrid so I only keep it in my pocket for buzzing on the way to work. I tried the 48 in a friends King 3B, and it was definitely better, notes easier to nail in extended positions, but still suffers from its other fault (to my lips) which is a vagueness on the face due to the semi-rounded rim profile (I think I prefer flatter ones with a more definite bite).
Someone somewhere warned me off putting a too-big piece in a Yamaha 354, and I think I agree.  I'm going to try a Schilke 47(C4?)/Laskey 50c when I can rustle up the spare.
This thread has reminded me to get moving on this as 5 years on a mouthpiece I've never really liked is just too long......
Has anyone else tried the Schilke 47(C4?)/Laskey 50c in a Yamaha 354?
Good Luck

John Findlay
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:04AM »

I'm also an adult 'beginner', I have a Yamaha 354, and have been playing it using the Yam 48 mouthpiece that came with it for nearly 5 years now. I wouldn't recommend it. I find it a bit loose for notes below D in the staff, with notes being harder to pitch and nail than with other mouthpieces I've borrowed and tried. I bought a kelly 6.5 AL, and that has a better sound (more 'zip') and has actually a smaller cup volume than the 48 and doesn't suffer from the same looseness in the 354, but the rim is horrid so I only keep it in my pocket for buzzing on the way to work. I tried the 48 in a friends King 3B, and it was definitely better, notes easier to nail in extended positions, but still suffers from its other fault (to my lips) which is a vagueness on the face due to the semi-rounded rim profile (I think I prefer flatter ones with a more definite bite).
Someone somewhere warned me off putting a too-big piece in a Yamaha 354, and I think I agree.  I'm going to try a Schilke 47(C4?)/Laskey 50c when I can rustle up the spare.
This thread has reminded me to get moving on this as 5 years on a mouthpiece I've never really liked is just too long......
Good Luck

If you like a flatter rim, try a Wick.  I think the 10 size may be appropriate for the Yamaha 354 (it's way to small for me; I play a 4B).  See if you can find a dealer and try a few.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Slidennis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2008, 12:48AM »

Good Luck
Laskey 50C is awfully screaming in mine, I still like the Conn 3 best, followed by a new King (UMI) 6.5 AL...

Prolly a Laskey 54M could be a better match... Don't know

Denis
anthony501

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:27PM »

I use a Yamaha 46B on my King 2102 Jiggs, and also on my 354.  I don't play the 354 that much anymore since I now have the pro King, but I am more comfortable with the 46B (on both instruments) than what I used to use, which was the Bach 6 1/2 AL.

But then... I have small lips.. I am a small person. 

(Does person-size matter?  Probably eh.....?).

Anthony

Composer/Producer
http://www.youtube.com/user/anthonychue/videos

Edwards T350E, rose brass bell, TN-Std slide
Edwards T327, yellow brass bell, TBC-N slide
King 2103
King 2102L
Yamaha YSL-8710H Alto
Getzen 994S Bass Trumpet
Yamaha YEP-321 Euphon
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print