Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1076490 Posts in 71359 Topics- by 18941 Members - Latest Member: Tigerprints
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: shaving  (Read 8336 times)
baileyman

View Profile
« on: Jan 12, 2008, 02:48PM »

I've run into three shaving problems. 

One is the skin under the bottom lip get irritated by the mouthpiece.  I've known some people who let the hairs grow a bit a la Dizzy. 

Two is a poorly placed nick. 

Three, and currently, is a slight shaving of the pink lip skin where it meets the outer skin.  It's like taking a a layer off that is so thin you don't realize it until later.  By then the lip skin is drying and cracking and makes the embouchure stiff. 
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2008, 03:51PM »

Electric shaver.

Scott Bentall-Freelance
No pressure=No sound=No gigs
---------------------------------------------
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
1935 Williams "L" Arrowhead
Conn 71H
BassBone09
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2008, 04:05PM »

I've run into the dried skin issue when shaving sometimes.
Maybe change what your shaving with? Not necessarily blade, but what cream you use.
I use the Gillette Fusion shaving foam. (In the orange bottles) It makes my skin feel more moist and refreshed and easier to shave the next time. You don't have to switch to this but be aware of what you're using.
Or, you could start using some sort of face wash. Something that you put on every morning and night for a few weeks.
It could be the quality of skin on your face, if this is the case of of the above should work.
Todd Jonz
Department of Redundancy Department

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:49PM »

Baileyman writes:

> the skin under the bottom lip get irritated
> by the mouthpiece.  I've known some people
> who let the hairs grow a bit a la Dizzy.

I have a similar problem with that area becoming irritated if it's not cleanly shaved.  My sole attempt to grow a beard since starting to play again eight years ago only made matters worse; the more the "soul patch" grew in, the more easily irritated the skin around it became when I played.  It might have worked for Diz, but it didn't work for me!

Have you registered at TromboneChat.com yet?
Dennis K.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2008, 06:07AM »

Electric shaver - I use a microscreen style - for my lower lip.
If you don't have an electric, then make sure you are using a new, sharp razor - The new Gillette Fusion 5 is the least irritating of all that I have tried.  Replacement cartridges are kinda pricey, but worth it, IMHO.  Rinse it a lot. 
Also, get a shaving cream that has aloe, try to avoid ones with a high alcohol content.  Spend the money on something decent.
denny seifried

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:55AM »

As a bass trombonist with a mustache, I find I have to shave (daily) the middle area of my top lip and keep it free of any hair, right were the mouthpiece rim sits on the upper lip.

If I am not careful and allow mustache hair/hairs to grow in this area, they will poke into my upper lip and cause some bleeding to take place.

It looks kind of dumb, but do I want to have the perfect mustache or play bass trombone?

I use a Gillette blade, since I don't handle electric shavers well, as I get ingrown hairs, especially on my neck with electric razors. With blade shaving, I never experience this; however, I must add I have not tried "electric-shaving" in probably 25 years and I am sure there have been huge strides in "electric-shaving" technology.

Anybody have a brand/model recommendation which might handle my ingrown-hair issue on the neck? Fire away. I am always interested in new things to play around with!

Denny Seifried
Bass Trombone
Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Jazz Central Big Band, Mojo Brass & Springfield (OH) Symphony
BBb Tuba Ohio Valley British Brass Band (OVBBB) & Western Ohio Tuba Quartet
Adjunct Trombone-Wittenberg Univ. Dept. of Music
Silver3B

"Tango! Argentine tango love dancing the tango!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2008, 07:04AM »

Standard Gillette blade here but I always carry an electric shaver in the car. The reason I went to gold mpc's was when I had a mustache I hated to play my horn do to the feel of the mpc. The gold mpc just feels so much better now and before when I didn't used to shave.

Anthony Cecena,
San Diego,CA
King 3B and 4B- with G attachment.
Dave Tatro
The Python's Python

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:06PM »

I have thisk whiskers and sensitive skin. Not a friendly combination for shaving! I have yet to meet an electric shaver that can cut my whiskers properly (without pulling them out). I used one as a teen but had to switch to a blade as my beard got heavier.

Right now, since I haven't had a beard since the day after Halloween, I shave every other day. I can't shave every day without tearing my face up. Every third day is perfect, but too long in between for aesthetics. So I do every other day. Carefully!

Overall, my stage of stubble growth doesn't affect my playing comfort too much, but it is most comfortable either right after shaving (very clean) or after a couple days when it starts to soften. I also played for years with a full beard and never had a problem.....

"He also inevitably discovered the similarities between glass doors and forcefields."- marchingknight
Stewbones43

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2008, 02:22AM »

I go along with Dave.
I have had a full beard for the last 47 years and it has never caused me a problem except the one time I shaved it off. My wife asked me to shave it off before we got married. She wanted to know what she was getting. Fortunately, as soon as she saw what I looked like underneath, she insisted I grew it back again :-P.
The only thing I have to do is keep my moustache line trimmed short to clear the mouthpiece but that can be done with scissors. The whole beard gets trimmed about every couple of months so I do not look like a trombone player in a ZZ-Top tribute band.

Cheers

Stewbones

Trombone means big trumpet-does that mean it is louder?
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2008, 03:51AM »

Dave, why didn't you keep the beard? It looks good on you.

(So does that leather jockstrap! :-P)

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
Dave Tatro
The Python's Python

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2008, 12:50PM »

I'd had a beard most of the time since college and wanted a change. I had already gone from a full beard (like in the picture) to a goatee. After having the goatee for a couple of years, I decided to shave it all off because I couldn't remember what I looked like without facial hair (I hadn't been clean-shaven for over 7 years). I'm sure I'll grow it back again some day, maybe for next Halloween!

The only problem is that just recently, I have started getting some thick, pure white whiskers in my beard. They drive me nuts so I pluck them out. I think I may have reached the point where shaving is less of a hassle than keeping on top of the white whiskers.

Plus, everybody says I look ten years younger without the beard.... :/

"He also inevitably discovered the similarities between glass doors and forcefields."- marchingknight
john sandhagen
curmudgeon... semitrained

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:47PM »

Electric shavers don't work well for me.  I keep a raggedy soul patch, other than that shave every three or four days.  When I had a "moustash" I had to trim the inside to keep the mouthpiece from sending little angry hairs under the skin.  I play better with out the 'stash anyway.

Try many shavers and see what works best for you.

John Sandhagen,
the Boneyard

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
JZBone

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2008, 04:46AM »

I had a similar problem, but mostly on my upper lip. The irritation would often result in in-grown hairs that would take over a week to get rid of.

Here is what I have found that works for me, and I haven't had an in-grown hair in over 8 months, since I started this. First of all, electric shavers don't work for me. Here is a good combo for me.

Razor: Bic "Metal" razor (yes, it is called "Metal"), it is a single blade razor
Prep1: Either shower or pre-moisten whiskers with warm water for at least a minute
Prep2: Nancy Boy brand Pre-shave Oil (Yes, Nancy Boy is a real brand and it's high quality)
Shave cream: Either King of Shaves gel (they make several), or a high quality shave cream, like Nancy Boy, or Taylor of Old Bond Street, Trumper or Proraso--applied by hand--NO BRUSH
Technique: Minimize the number of passes on the sensitive area, use a light touch.
Post1: Rinse and lightly dry face:
Post2: Apply "Tend Skin" to problem area
Post3: Apply non-alcohol-based after-shave balm. I use Proraso, Trumper, Musgo Real, Nancy Boy or Nivea.

It sounds like a lot of steps, but my shave only takes about a minute longer than it used to, and I have almost no razor burn, and no in-grown hairs in my mouthpiece area for a long time. It's worth it for me.

John

Product list:
Bic Metal Razor
Nancy Boy pre-shave oil
High quality shave cream
Tend Skin post-shave stuff
Non-alcohol-based after shave
slidemansailor

"off the edge of the trombone planet"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2008, 09:38AM »

I have sensitive skin. Ingrown hairs have been a problem as long as I have been shaving. My embouchure area would flare up to the point of being disabling far too often. My "hates facial hair" wife finally told me to grow the beard so I could keep playing.

My beard is sparse and has lots of white in it now. Not particularly attractive, but that's never been much of an issue to me. It does add 10 years to my appearance that, at 58, are becoming less welcome since all else but my knees are holding up well.

I just resumed shaving all but my mustache and the "royale". Those I trim short with scissors. I shave every other day, as I too have found more frequent inclined to produce too many ingrown hairs.  Mostly I use a double-blade Schick with water and shaving cream out of a tube. Once in a while I use my Norelco 3-head rotary, but it tends to produce razor burn and ingrown hairs.

I find I MUST shave before my shower. My skin has to be firm and dry underneath the shaving lather. If I shower and soften the skin first, ingrown hairs are like grass in the springtime - everywhere... and definitely not comfortable.

This pattern seems to be working well. The short hairs of my embouchure don't get jammed under my skin like shaved ones did, yet aren't so long they degrade my playing significantly. Though I've always been an all-or-nothing guy on my beard, the new look suits me as neat and functional.  I suspect this is a keeper.

Royale
    A tuft of hair under the lower lip (without a goatee, but perhaps worn with a moustache). The royale was historically worn by French officers as a badge or adornment of military rank or status. It is also known as an impériale or flavour-saver.

Turn off your TV. Make some beautiful music.

'06 Conn 88 HCL  .525/.547   5G
'58 Conn 6H   .500   6 1/2 AL
'74 Yamaha YSL354    .500   6 1/2 AL
'49 Harry Pedler American Triumph   Lyle 7

http://bitterrootbugle.com
http://teddunlap.net
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2008, 10:30AM »

I can't believe that "Nancy Boy" is a real product!

*snort!*

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
SandyMBarrows
Sanctification in Progress

"Professor 'Add Junk'"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:34AM »

Quote Royale
    A tuft of hair under the lower lip (without a goatee, but perhaps worn with a moustache). The royale was historically worn by French officers as a badge or adornment of military rank or status. It is also known as an impériale or flavour-saver.

Americans call it a "soul-patch".

Have any of you ever tried a Braun self-cleaning shaver?

Kindest regards, and BLESSED DAY!!
-Sandy
Retired Pilot, Instructor,
Freelance Low Brass DFW Area

Miraphone Soprano, Shires .547 TruBore, Michael Davis .495, Bass dependent TruBore
DE Mouthpieces/Giddings-Webster
Old Bonz
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:49AM »

I had a similar problem, but mostly on my upper lip. The irritation would often result in in-grown hairs that would take over a week to get rid of.

Here is what I have found that works for me, and I haven't had an in-grown hair in over 8 months, since I started this. First of all, electric shavers don't work for me. Here is a good combo for me.

Razor: Bic "Metal" razor (yes, it is called "Metal"), it is a single blade razor
Prep1: Either shower or pre-moisten whiskers with warm water for at least a minute
Prep2: Nancy Boy brand Pre-shave Oil (Yes, Nancy Boy is a real brand and it's high quality)
Shave cream: Either King of Shaves gel (they make several), or a high quality shave cream, like Nancy Boy, or Taylor of Old Bond Street, Trumper or Proraso--applied by hand--NO BRUSH
Technique: Minimize the number of passes on the sensitive area, use a light touch.
Post1: Rinse and lightly dry face:
Post2: Apply "Tend Skin" to problem area
Post3: Apply non-alcohol-based after-shave balm. I use Proraso, Trumper, Musgo Real, Nancy Boy or Nivea.

It sounds like a lot of steps, but my shave only takes about a minute longer than it used to, and I have almost no razor burn, and no in-grown hairs in my mouthpiece area for a long time. It's worth it for me.

John

Product list:
Bic Metal Razor
Nancy Boy pre-shave oil
High quality shave cream
Tend Skin post-shave stuff
Non-alcohol-based after shave

Boy, do I feel out of touch. 
I've been shaving with a blade for nearly 50 years, and never heard of any of those products.

baileyman,
You may want to try out a suggestion I got from a dermatologist one time when I was having problems with skin irritation and ingrown whiskers.  He recommended the use of a light oil, such as Keri brand, instead of using shaving cream, which is essentially a soap. It worked for me.

Najataagihe

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2008, 07:55PM »

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2008, 01:33PM by Najataagihe » Logged
BFW
Pun Gent

"Paronomasiacs Homonymous"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:48AM »

Don't waste your time on a rotary electric shaver a la Norelco.

The way it cuts almost guarantees the hair will be lain over into the walls of the hair shaft.

I've used a rotary, almost always a Norelco, most of my life.  I've never once had an ingrown hair on my face.  Not one.

Brian

Our supreme responsibility is the moral obligation to be intelligent. -- Oliver L. Reiser
Najataagihe

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:05AM »

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2008, 01:32PM by Najataagihe » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: