Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088843 Posts in 71969 Topics- by 19321 Members - Latest Member: didubadap
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatReligion(Moderator: bhcordova) Welcome to the Religion Discussion Board
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Welcome to the Religion Discussion Board  (Read 928 times)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« on: Jul 23, 2017, 12:52PM »

Welcome!

This board is intended for any discussions of religions.  It is not for wishing anybody a merry/happy whatever, but instead for learned and earnest discussions of what the religion means to various Forum members.

No nastiness will be tolerated here.  You are free to disagree with each other, after all not all of us even believe that God exists.  But taunts and sneering will be rebuked.

We can even discuss oddball religions like Jedi Knighthood, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and even Dianetics.

I went back in Chit-Chat for 20 pages (back to late 2013) and moved any religion topics here.  If there is a topic you think I missed, please feel free to contact me or the Moderator (BHCordova).

Bruce Guttman

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2017, 12:56PM »

I will add it to my Ignore Boards preferences ASAP.  Thank you.

Holton bass trombones...
altoid
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2017, 01:05PM »

Ditto.

Though... perhaps it's time to jettison the religion and politics threads from The Trombone Forum entirely.
boneagain

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2017, 01:39PM »

Ditto.

Though... perhaps it's time to jettison the religion and politics threads from The Trombone Forum entirely.

Should we also jettison all threads on interpetation and performance of music based on those topics as well?

Dave Adams
Staunch admirer of all who still make a living at this!
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2017, 01:40PM »

I always find the need to make a protest Ignore Announcement is kind of amusing.

But I completely agree with the move--thought it the best plan from the start for this very reason. We don't want to traumatize the fragile with mature topics ... heh.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2017, 01:46PM »

Ditto.

Should we also jettison all threads on interpetation and performance of music based on those topics as well?

Exactly.

No one should be allowed to talk about what I don't want to talk about!

In the US at least it seems like we're getting more and more infantile, narcissistic and entitled. Too many find the trauma of others being so terribly rude and mean-spirited as to fail in affirming them enough to meet their extreme comfort needs unbearable, so some would even try and take measures to legislate the accommodation of this kind of frailty.

It seems that only very marginal adults used to act this way, and they certainly weren't coddled back before intellectual cowardice became so popular (the rise of the radical religious right wing, which will finally, I certainly hope, be undone as a sociopolitical force by its own success because it tends to reveal these true deplorable, repulsive colors).

That's why the protest announcements are amusing--they're proud claims of this self-absorbed frailty--that they've been made to endure such trauma as other talking about things they don't want to talk about, maybe even of having to notice that others actually might disagree with them on certain matters. Oh my, how can anyone bear up under such oppression!

But they're noted, so those with such needs do get their moment on the soap box--good thing they don't waste it with trite minutiae ... heh.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
Euphanasia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2017, 03:02PM »

No one should be allowed to talk about what I don't want to talk about!

In the US at least it seems like we're getting more and more infantile, narcissistic and entitled. Too many find the trauma of others being so terribly rude and mean-spirited as to fail in affirming them enough to meet their extreme comfort needs unbearable, so some would even try and take measures to legislate the accommodation of this kind of frailty.

Well geez, Byron. Way to hit folks in the face with the "Welcome mat."

The point is that many of us blocked boards that deal with politics and religion months or years ago. Now, here it is again, and we have to opt out again. You may find it childish of me to say this, but it's quite rude of you to demean my choice to NOT discuss religion with trombonists. What's next? A Loch Ness Monster board? A Big Foot board? Shall we all be forced to see those in our "unread posts" feed, even if we opted out?

How would you feel if you registered for the "Do Not Call" list, and you started getting calls from a particular "new" company that you hadn't specifically opted out of? Would complaining mean that you were too immature to simply listen to the sales pitch?

But Byron, thanks for demonstrating that arrogant, belittling attitude that drove me away from Chit Chat years ago. It's nice to be reminded of what I'm missing, yet not missing at all.

And I'll join the rest of the "fragile" in blocking this board, and in questioning why it needed to be separated out of the turgid, polemic mass that is "Purely Politics."
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2017, 03:08PM »

Well geez, Byron. Way to hit folks in the face with the "Welcome mat."

The point is that many of us blocked boards that deal with politics and religion months or years ago. Now, here it is again, and we have to opt out again. You may find it childish of me to say this, but it's quite rude of you to demean my choice to NOT discuss religion with trombonists.

I said no such thing.

Here it is again:
I always find the need to make a protest Ignore Announcement is kind of amusing.

Eh?

The rest of my well earned harsh criticism was in response to this exchange, in agreement with BoneAgain (just modified my quoting above for clarity on that though):

But welcome, Euph!

Heh.

Seriously. I've appealed to you to hang out more in here before (here, formerly there ... whatever).

I do hope you participate--your contributions are generally productive and welcome, and the theism side of things has been much better represented lately by John the Theologian and Drizabone, and of course Tim42B's still hangin' in here representing a more liberal theistic angle too. When they're taking the lead things tend to be civil and elevated (as compared to other situations which have been the cause of most of the ugliness). More support for JtT and Driz, and for Tim, would be a very good and very welcome thing, man!

doubleslyde

"Create !"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 05:42 AM »

Just bookmarked this, should prove interesting!
 Way cool Way cool

It is indeed pitiful to behold potentially giant intellects held so securely within the cruel grasp of cultural bondage.
Wisdom is borne of developing the savvy to know the difference between education and indoctrination.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: